E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 6466 0.96 single vs 0.84 twin-scroll

01-10-2024, 02:46 AM   #1
Odesh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

6466 0.96 single vs 0.84 twin-scroll

Hi,

I just got my Speedtech bottom mount single turbo kit and all the parts for it, including the maintenance. The kit is made for Pulsar 6466 BB. I bought the turbo second hand for half the price since the old owner run out of boost at 800whp on his S/M54 (can't remember which one).

My question is:

Do you guys think that it would be worth to get Precisions 0.84 twin-scroll turbine housing for the turbo. The Pulsar turbo comes with single-scroll 0.96 housing and that's the only housing available by them for 66mm series. The Precision twin is straight drop-in part with the Pulsar supercore. The Precisions turbine housing is around 415 dollars if I buy it locally, and it's only available 0.84 a/r.

I'm trying to make around 500-550whp on 93oct/98ron and the car is driven mostly as a daily. Flex fuel and ethanol coming later.

I tried looking trough forums to see if people had tried the difference between twin and single for 3.0L engines in general. Only thing I could find was a post about 2jz and they recommended 0.84 twin-scroll, but without any data. Also I found couple videos of 6466 with 0.96 housing fully boosting around 4k rpm.

Anyone has experience with similar size turbo and different turbine housings? What would the difference in spooling be and would the top end take a big hit from smaller turbine housing? Is it worth the 400 dollars?

Thanks for any kind of input!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 12:53 PM   #2
STATIC A$TRO
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

Garage List
I apologize in advance for this won't be much help but I just wanted to ask about your heat management. I've been trying to get my 35 going but am having the best time doing work that a local euro shop couldn't do. ended up buying a speed tech valve cover blanket for extra protection but didn't fit due to the space that the turbo with the DR blanket and heat shield provide (shop installed before they let my car just sit).

all i see online is people running the hot side blanket alone or w/heat tape.

(08 335 w/DR 6466 precision)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 03:53 AM   #3
Odesh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATIC A$TRO View Post
I apologize in advance for this won't be much help but I just wanted to ask about your heat management. I've been trying to get my 35 going but am having the best time doing work that a local euro shop couldn't do. ended up buying a speed tech valve cover blanket for extra protection but didn't fit due to the space that the turbo with the DR blanket and heat shield provide (shop installed before they let my car just sit).

all i see online is people running the hot side blanket alone or w/heat tape.

(08 335 w/DR 6466 precision)
It sounds that you are running a top mount manifold and turbo. I'm running bottom mounted turbo, so I don't need to worry about the heat next to the valve cover.

However, I had friend that was running Docrace top mount kit on his n54. To manage the heat, he removed the provided Docrace heatshield and replaced it with the Speedtech blanket. You can't run both DR heatshield and Speedtech Blanket at the same time, they won't simply fit due to lack of space and they both kinda serve the same purpose. It helped with temps on his valve cover.

Hope this helped!
Appreciate 1