E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Adaptive headlight issue, code clearing w/ BMWhat, dash light still on

11-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
njy229
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Adaptive headlight issue, code clearing w/ BMWhat, dash light still on

I'm new to working on BMWs and looking for a little help. I'm usually wrenching on a 76 Bronco, a much different animal. I apologize for the length of this post but there is a lot to cover.

Hit a pothole a while back and immediately got the adaptive headlight warning light. After a lot of internet research I figured out how to remove the bumper and inspect the headlight. I eventually found the ball joint that popped out.

None of the pictures I found online helped me identify the problem so when I finally figured it out I took a couple pics to maybe help someone else out if they had the same issue. I have a 2007 328xi Coupe, I'm not sure if the headlight assembly is different than on the sedans.

I popped the ball joint back in and then reassembled the front of my car. Started my car and saw that both headlights were cycling up and down, only one headlight was doing this before the fix. I assume the issue was fixed but the warning light continued to light up on the dash.

After doing more internet research I found some products that could read BMW fault codes but couldn't clear them. I came across the BMWhat iPhone app which claims to be able to clear fault codes. I ordered the Elm327 OBD2 adapter off of Amazon and downloaded the app which was $50. A little pricey but if it worked like it claimed it would be well worth it.

Ran a diagnoses with the app and the following 7 fault codes came up.

0. Motor Control:
<--------------------------->
Engine / Motor:
- Fault: Message (transmit data 3, 3B1) are missing
- Code: BMW CDB4
- Fault: Power-management power failure / Electrical system power management
- Code: BMW 2DEB
<===========================>
1. ABS / DSC / Brake:
Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC:
- Fault: :Steering angle sensor
- Code: BMW 5EBA
3. Transmission Control:
Transmission / Getriebesteuerung:
- Fault: VGSG wheel Notlaufregelung activated. No DXC desired torque setting
- Code: BMW 55C3
7. Immobilizer System:
CAS:
- Fault: brake light
- Code: BMW A0B0
- Fault: EWS4 fault
- Code: BMW A10A
16. Body:
Fussraummodul /FRM:
- Fault: Disturbed communication links with StepperMotorBox / Short circuit or interruption of the contacts on the back door
- Code: BMW 9CBD

I attempted to clear the codes with the app and succeeded in clearing all but one of the codes. The one code I cannot clear (which I'm assuming could mean that it might be an actual issue) is:
Engine / Motor:
If anyone has successfully dealt with this issue please let me know.

So my main question is, has anyone fixed an issue, cleared the code, and still had the warning light on the dash? I can't figure out how to get the damn light to go out. The lights are working fine, the fault code isn't appearing, but the warning light still comes on. Obviously I'm trying to avoid going to the dealership and pissing my money away. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Brooklyn335xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

is the warning light on dashboard means the afs error icon? can you post the pictures of what error codes you have after you coded?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
J38
BMW Addict
Rep
Drives: '11 X5

Also might want to pull the code from the check control if it's just the generic light warning.
      11-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
njy229
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

This is the warning light.

I will scan for codes again but the last couple times the only fault code that appears is below. Like I said I'm new to all of this coding stuff so I may not be doing everything correctly.

Engine / Motor:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Brooklyn335xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by njy229 View Post
This is the warning light.

I will scan for codes again but the last couple times the only fault code that appears is below. Like I said I'm new to all of this coding stuff so I may not be doing everything correctly.

Engine / Motor:
THis is what you still have after coded?
i have this same thing on my dash ....anoying and wont go away T.T
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
chazzz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Chrysler 300S

By looking up in Google, the code CDB4 means you are having an issue with automatic transmission DME or something like that?

Copied and pasted from the website:

Automatic Transmission 24 21 07 October-07 3 Series Diagnosis - DME Fault CDB4: No Message (transmission data 3, 3B1)

CURRENT - 2018 Chrysler 300S, Crystal Granite Metallic.
Appreciate 0