E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thrust arm ball joint removal...how do?!

07-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
twastheglow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i - '80 528i

Thrust arm ball joint removal...how do?!

2006 330xi:

I've searched this forum along with Google and YouTube and haven't seemed to find an answer; how the "f" do you pop the ball joint on the front thrust arms out of the spindle? I have a confirmed bad ball joint so I ordered a replacement Lemforder ball joint to replace the bad one. I have removed the arm off the joint and pulled the two bolts holding the joint to the spindle but can't for the life of me pop the ball joint out. It's been FULLY saturated in Kroil and has had the pleasure of getting blasted with a stout screw driver and mallet from above to push it down and out...no luck. I've even tried using the screwdriver and mallet to push the collar on the underside of the joint to the side to try to break it loose. Also to no avail. How do you guys get them out? There isn't any room to use a gear puller from the top due to the spindle design and I can't use a ball joint separator due to the metal collar on the ball joint. I stupidly thought this was going to be a quick job; and it has been, up until trying to remove the last piece. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

I think that is why almost everyone replaces the whole thrust arm. It isn't too much more expensive and it has the bushing and ball joint. I know that didn't answer your question but you asked for "thoughts."
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

With all due respect, yes, seriously, why would you even try to do that. Due to lack of tools and know how, plus the effort and time invested and potential risk of hurting yourself or damaging the part you are way better of by just replacing the whole unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
I used a ball joint removal tool from harbor freight. Took some man handling but it did the trick. Those puppies are a bitch to break loose!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
cgrizzly888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

You need a ball joint press to remove it. Autozone may rent them.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
twastheglow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
I think that is why almost everyone replaces the whole thrust arm. It isn't too much more expensive and it has the bushing and ball joint. I know that didn't answer your question but you asked for "thoughts."
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
With all due respect, yes, seriously, why would you even try to do that. Due to lack of tools and know how, plus the effort and time invested and potential risk of hurting yourself or damaging the part you are way better of by just replacing the whole unit.
Clearly you guys are missing something. The arm and ball joint are separate pieces. They're not sold together. They have two different part numbers. Why would I try to do this? Because I've always done all my own work on all my cars. I'm not new to DIY, nor BMW, as this is my 11th one I've owned and worked on. This just happens to be the first time I've worked on an E90.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #7
twastheglow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
I used a ball joint removal tool from harbor freight. Took some man handling but it did the trick. Those puppies are a bitch to break loose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrizzly888 View Post
You need a ball joint press to remove it. Autozone may rent them.
How did you guys maneuver around the ball joint frame tabs that bolts it to the spindle? I guess I'm having a hard time imagining the press working on this style ball joint.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 12:10 AM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twastheglow View Post
Clearly you guys are missing something. The arm and ball joint are separate pieces. They're not sold together. They have two different part numbers. Why would I try to do this? Because I've always done all my own work on all my cars. I'm not new to DIY, nor BMW, as this is my 11th one I've owned and worked on. This just happens to be the first time I've worked on an E90.
you are talking about this:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-20...FQ-raQodSiwO2g
which is mounted on this and the spindle:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-23...FQqQaQoduZ4Oyg
and this is how is done:
http://www.rmeuropean.com/bmw-e90-Co...placement.aspx

I spend awfully a lot of time in the shop and I think I understood you well.
You have difficulties removing the ball joint from the arm.
Maybe I'm wrong. However, If I'm correct, honestly > is better to take the above advice. Did't mean to sound harsh.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 12:16 AM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

I read it again. sorry, my fault and to my "lame" excuse English isn't my 1st language. You have issues removing the ball from the spindle.
For that in the shop I use torch to heat it up first and then I hit it with the air chisel. Sorry for the confusion
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #10
twastheglow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I read it again. sorry, my fault and to my "lame" excuse English isn't my 1st language. You have issues removing the ball from the spindle.
For that in the shop I use torch to heat it up first and then I hit it with the air chisel. Sorry for the confusion
No worries. 👍🏻

I'm going to give it another shot today, if I'm STILL unsuccessful then I'm going to get my torch from my buddies and try heat. Unfortunately I don't have air tools so an air chisel is out.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #11
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thank you for keeping you composure and good luck with the repair!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #12
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

4lb sledge. Remove the nut on the ball joint then jack the car by the spindle just enough to get the weight onto the jack. Then give the knuckle a good tap with the sledge. That will deform the knuckle just enough and the weight of the car will do the rest of the work. You don't have to take a full swing just a nice firm whack.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #13
twastheglow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for keeping you composure and good luck with the repair!
No need to thank me, we're all here for the same thing brother. 😊

Thanks. I'm going to try giving it another go on my lunch break today.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 08:18 AM   #14
twastheglow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichtgelb View Post
4lb sledge. Remove the nut on the ball joint then jack the car by the spindle just enough to get the weight onto the jack. Then give the knuckle a good tap with the sledge. That will deform the knuckle just enough and the weight of the car will do the rest of the work. You don't have to take a full swing just a nice firm whack.
Sorry for the ignorance, but are you saying I should put the arm back on the ball joint (without nut), put the wheel back on and drop the car back down off its Jack stands THEN try your method? It'll be a little tough getting in there with car on all 4 wheels. Any specific place I should hit the knuckle? Thanks for the advice as it's ALL welcome at this point. Haha
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #15
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twastheglow View Post
Sorry for the ignorance, but are you saying I should put the arm back on the ball joint (without nut), put the wheel back on and drop the car back down off its Jack stands THEN try your method? It'll be a little tough getting in there with car on all 4 wheels. Any specific place I should hit the knuckle? Thanks for the advice as it's ALL welcome at this point. Haha
I guess I'm confused. Are you trying to remove the thrust arm ball joint from the steering knuckle or are you trying to remove the ball joint from the thrust arm itself?

If you are trying to pop the ball joint out of the steering knuckle then you just put a floor jack on the spindle with nut removed, while the front end is on jack stands, and jack it ever so slightly by the spindle to get some weight on the ball joint. Then a good whack with the hammer will do the magic and when the joint separates the weight of the car will settle back onto the jack stand. Were only talking about jacking the car a mm or so. Just enough to transfer weight onto the ball joint.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #16
twastheglow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichtgelb View Post
I guess I'm confused. Are you trying to remove the thrust arm ball joint from the steering knuckle or are you trying to remove the ball joint from the thrust arm itself?

If you are trying to pop the ball joint out of the steering knuckle then you just put a floor jack on the spindle with nut removed, while the front end is on jack stands, and jack it ever so slightly by the spindle to get some weight on the ball joint. Then a good whack with the hammer will do the magic and when the joint separates the weight of the car will settle back onto the jack stand. Were only talking about jacking the car a mm or so. Just enough to transfer weight onto the ball joint.
No, you were correct; I was the one confused. But I DO understand better with your second description. Thanks for taking a moment to reiterate it. I'll try that shortly.

In looking at what you're saying, I'm not sure how that method is going to work when the ball joint needs to be pushed down and out...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 10:48 PM   #17
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
I think you need a tool like this?

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...3qg1g1nuZCM%3A
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 03:46 AM   #18
cgrizzly888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

A pickel fork can be used. I bought a simple ball joint seperator tool at harbor freight many years ago like the one mweisdorfer posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 07:03 AM   #19
twastheglow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrizzly888 View Post
A pickel fork can be used. I bought a simple ball joint seperator tool at harbor freight many years ago like the one mweisdorfer posted.
Those won't work. I'm working on an Xi with the separate ball joints that bolt up from the bottom. They have a rounded diamond frame with tabs that bolt the ball joint to the spindle. Once those as bolted up you bolt the control arm to it. The control arm has already been removed off the ball joint. I'm stuck on trying to remove the ball joint itself from the spindle. I'm assuming you guys are thinking about tools used on a traditional control arm with traditional ball joints.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 07:06 AM   #20
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

A picture is worth a thousand posts....
      07-31-2015, 07:14 AM   #21
twastheglow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
A picture is worth a thousand posts....
Well, to save myself the next 990, give me a couple minutes and I'll post some.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #22
twastheglow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Looking down from above:

Side view: (here you can see where I dremeled off one of the tabs in hopes of getting some kind of puller or separator on it...no luck so far)

Brand new part for reference:

And for anyone not familiar with this area of the car, there is no way to get a 2-jaw gear puller on it from above. That damn steel diamond shaped frame that bolts the joint to spindle makes it difficult to use all conventional methods of pulling that out. The next step is to carefully apply heat with a torch tonight, but I still haven't figured out a good way to push/pull it out. Looks like I'll have to start with brute force using a long strong screwdriver and a 4lb mallet from above.

Last edited by twastheglow; 07-31-2015 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0