E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > WTF? Please help

06-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
gkroegman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20011 BMW 328i

Angry WTF? Please help

I went to the store at 9pm last night after a very heavy thunderstorm and my car worked perfectly as expected.
This morning - way different story.
It started by the driver side door not unlocking. I replaced the lock actuator 2 weeks ago with a brand new certified BMW part.
Of course, on discovering this, I've locked and unlocked the doors about 50 times via the Fob and Central Locking button. Drivers side seems to just work when it wants to.
When backing out of my driveway, the passenger mirror got stuck in the reverse position and I had to adjust it to drive.
Seat memory completely erased.
Quick blinker defaulted back to 1x instead of 3x like I've had it set since the first week I purchased the car.
I'm pretty meticulous about the way my vehicle is set up, I know I had all the options set correctly because I've tested each one over and over and over.
Given that it worked last night, I don't see how moisture would have affected it over night.
If anyone can PLEASE tell me what the issue may be, I would be grateful.

I've had this car for not even 2 months. I got it from a local used car lot with an extremely good reputation. It's not CPO, and has 53,658 miles on it 2009, 328i.
Honestly this has me worried, I do not want this car to be a money pit and if the repairs are going to be too costly, I'm going to go to a BMW dealership today and see what my options are about just getting another one.
This car should be a JOY to drive and own, not a worry machine.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Narcosis
The dude abides
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

My first thought would be to check the health of your battery.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Battery may be going indeed,

but heavy rain and most electronic you refer too as being malfunctionning being physically located inside the door also point to vapor barrier leak in the door, with a door filled with water that shorts the electronic.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Was it parked outside or inside? Did you check the shark fin for signs of lightning strike?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
gkroegman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20011 BMW 328i

I'll put a multimeter on the battery this evening and run it through a drain/charge cycle, then test it again.
I just drove it a little... seat memory has been restored and all is functioning properly. I didn't reprogram the seat though, it came back on it's own and remembered the positions I had originally had it memorize.

I'll check the vapor barrier also, but I think it should be fine. It worked as expected after the storm, so I don't see how letting it sit overnight would make a difference - but I'll still check regardless. When I replaced the actuator I made sure the barrier was exactly the way it was before I removed it. Sealed it up good and made sure not to tare it.

Parked outside
Appreciate 0