E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension Upgrade Advice Koni Yellows

10-25-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
Zee32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AY M4!

Suspension Upgrade Advice Koni Yellows

Previous owner of my car had H&R springs with stock struts and 19inch wheels.

My car has been very rough and loud over rough road or tiny potholes especially from front side unbearable noise. After asking a few people they said it's the setup.

I have decided to buy Koni Yellows and use them with my existing H&R springs. Do i need to buy anything else? I'm a pretty newbie when it comes to suspension, so any advice from my fellow members would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

FSD will offer less harsh ride. Also, new strut and shock mounts.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

What tires are you running? Tires cam make a big difference with noise and harshness....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Zee32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
FSD will offer less harsh ride. Also, new strut and shock mounts.
After reading a lot of threads it seems like majority opinion is that Koni Yellow is a better choice as oppose to FSD so I think I will be sticking to yellows.

I saw you mention "Monroe 907984" for the rear shock mount in a thread. Will that fit my car as well? Would you still recommend these for the rear mounts?

Secondly, I have looked at so many places but can't seem to find any strut mount besides oem for the front. I was trying to find a Lemforder front strut mount, but no luck thus far. Any recommendation for a budget front strut mount for a XI?

Will I also need bumpstops or can I use the existing one on the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack32 View Post
After reading a lot of threads it seems like majority opinion is that Koni Yellow is a better choice as oppose to FSD so I think I will be sticking to yellows.
the yellow are better than FSD yes but they ride firmer even on lowest setting, at least from what I can tell

Quote:
I saw you mention "Monroe 907984" for the rear shock mount in a thread. Will that fit my car as well? Would you still recommend these for the rear mounts?
yes as they will allow the shocks to work to their optimum potential vs used up OEM mount that will flex a lot

Quote:
Secondly, I have looked at so many places but can't seem to find any strut mount besides oem for the front. I was trying to find a Lemforder front strut mount, but no luck thus far. Any recommendation for a budget front strut mount for a XI?
try ECStuning. no reason why to go cheap on these as labor in case replacement is needed in the near future will be high

Quote:
Will I also need bumpstops or can I use the existing one on the car?
old bums stops you can reuse
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Zee32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
the yellow are better than FSD yes but they ride firmer even on lowest setting, at least from what I can tell

yes as they will allow the shocks to work to their optimum potential vs used up OEM mount that will flex a lot

try ECStuning. no reason why to go cheap on these as labor in case replacement is needed in the near future will be high

old bums stops you can reuse
Thank you for your input!!

I had searched on their before, just tried again, I dont see any mounts for the front, there are lots for the rear. Am I missing something?

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33...sion/Bushings/
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had searched on their before, just tried again, I dont see any mounts for the front, there are lots for the rear. Am I missing something?
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33...hocks/ES50872/

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33...cks/ES2875161/

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33...cks/ES2823088/
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

Please report back when you finish the install. My set of brand new Koni Yellows are sitting in my house while I agonize over what to do about springs, primarily due to ride height but also possible sacrifice in comfort vs. stock non-sport setup...which isn't all that comfortable to begin with imo.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
Zee32
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaye View Post
Please report back when you finish the install. My set of brand new Koni Yellows are sitting in my house while I agonize over what to do about springs, primarily due to ride height but also possible sacrifice in comfort vs. stock non-sport setup...which isn't all that comfortable to begin with imo.
Yes will do. I am gathering a final list of the required parts I need and I think I'm almost ready to pull the plug.
Appreciate 0