E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Auto Transmission Fluid Change

10-06-2023, 09:14 AM   #287
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfiftyfours View Post
Hi. I need some advice i think i dun f@#ked up...

I was doing a oil pan gasket change with a mate recently and for whatever reeason he disconnected the transmission oil line and lost some fluid. I went out and got some new fluid to top it up however i think i bought the wrong stuff (had no idea and should have checked first). It has been topped up with about a litre of possibly wrong fluid and now it is acting irrationally and getting error codes.

What do i do to fix this? have i completely screwed it?
To start, I'd flush it all out and fill it with the correct stuff. The correct fluid is ZF lifeguard 6. Mercon SP is the same fluid with red dye. Nothing else is the same fluid and universal fluids that say they meet the ZF specs are not approved, and in my experience will cause it to shift like crap.

It's unlikely you did irrepairable damage to your trans in a short time by just having a liter of the wrong ATF in there. If it's damaged, that likely sent it over the edge but it wouldn't kill an otherwise healthy trans as lots of people run redline D4, D6, Pentosin ATF1, etc. without issues (I've had them in my trans and it was NOT happy but it shifted fine after replacing with the correct stuff).

Good luck!
Appreciate 0