E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dumb Question: Can a short in the manifold pressure sensor generate a 30BB code?

03-06-2024, 09:08 PM   #1
Warishuku
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92 08 Nissan 350Z 03

Dumb Question: Can a short in the manifold pressure sensor generate a 30BB code?

Hey guys!

So I have new issues with my car... Last December my car was working well, but one day I parked it after work, and the next morning it started to misfire.

I checked the codes... 2D33 for the manifold pressure sensor, 30BB misfires in 4, 5, and 6 as expected, now the weird thing is that it started OK and in the middle of the closed loop it started to misfire. I turned it off and started it again, and it started perfectly with no misfires, I let it in idle for about 20 minutes, and no problem. Turned it off and on again, and this time it started with misfires, and ever since the misfires persisted.

Now, I opened the hood and immediately noticed that the pressure sensor at the top of the manifold had the harness damaged due to a mouse or something as it was chewed and had a lot of debris from the wires (mofo made a bed next to the HPFP lmao), I said f it no problem and I soldered the wires again, also checked the rest of the wires looking for damage and nothing else so far was damaged.

Next step, I checked the mosfets with continuity test and diode test, all 6 of them had pretty much the same values so I discarded them.

Next, I checked for continuity tests on the wires for the injectors, all of them were OK.

Next, disconnected all 6 coils, and got new 6 extra codes, so I assumed the circuit at the coils was OK.

Next, I disconnected all 6 injectors, 30BB was still there with the key ON.

So in the end I concluded something besides mosfets happened at the DME and got damaged. Now checking at the big harness connector I noticed 2 pin holes whiteish for pins 31 and 32, the pins at the DME were also whiteish.

Looking at the pinout, I discovered these 2 pins are the ground and supply pins for the manifold sensor that the mouse chewed out.

OK, sorry for the long post, but long story short: Can a short in that sensor damage the DME enough to create a 30BB code for the injector supply? Maybe something related to the PSU at the DME?

Unfortunately, I don't have the MSD80 schematics so is hard to figure it out. I work at Continental (Former Siemens VDO) so I am going to try to see if I can get the schematics for the MSD80, but for now I am lost.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Warishuku; 03-06-2024 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 11:33 AM   #2
BRG_N54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Rodents!

Hello, I can't speak to your error codes, but I just wanted to share my experience with vermin. When I bought my 335 it had a P119A code. When I got it home I discovered the exact issue you described; small rodent living in the engine bay had chewed the MAP sensor wires. I did exactly as you did, soldered and shrink wrapped the wires. The code went away and I have not had any other codes for the last 2 1/2 years. Car is completely stock with no "tuning" so YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:17 PM   #3
Warishuku
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92 08 Nissan 350Z 03

Hey thanks man, yeah I've read some posts about rodents chewing that specific harness, that's weird. The dude also chewed the hood insulation and some insulation in the firewall and had a lot of yellowish debris from the insulation all over the engine.

With the map sensor specifically, when I soldered the wires I got rid of the code, but the 30BB remained. As I said, the pins related to the map sensor were whiteish like if a short had happened, maybe that damaged a part of the DME.

Anyway, I already ordered an MSD81 from a junkyard, gonna see if there is a shop near me that can sync it with my CAS, but first I am gonna ensure that there are no shorts or something, I don't wanna mess that one also.
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50