E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > e90 N54 MHD Stage 1 - Extremely slow boost build :(

03-08-2024, 10:09 PM   #1
hizi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i N54

e90 N54 MHD Stage 1 - Extremely slow boost build :(

Hi everyone,

Been a long time lurker just googling info and being led to these forums for answers on various items for my e90. But its time I created an account and asked for some help.

I finally got MHD today and flashed Stage 1, (my only mods is a charge pipe), I did some logging and compared to other logs and videos ive seen, my 335i has an extremely slow boost build and never gets to target. Apart from that it seems to run great.

Please see this log here https://datazap.me/u/hizi/stage-1?lo...ta=2-3-4-22-23 its super poor.. this is from current map which is v10.0 stg 1 91_95

Here is another log from 2nd gear where it manages to build a bit more boost and hit target between 2nd and 3rd. (this was done on another map which was the wrong octane map, note the cyl timing corrections) https://datazap.me/u/hizi/wrong-tune...og=0&data=3-22

I dont know what the other readings are indicating so any insight on that would be greatly appreciated.

335i has done 130,000km and is serviced by a BMW workshop every 8,000k-9,000km. It just had a service, both of the vacuum canisters were replaced. I had vacuum lines replaced, and solenoids checked but I cant shake this 30FF. The workshop does not want to touch the WG arms or adjust them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by hizi; 03-08-2024 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 10:10 PM   #2
hizi
Registered
Rep

I can also hear a easily heard spooling noise on low rpm (1000-2500rpm), I have standard intakes. I dont know if this is normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 10:31 PM   #3
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

This has some good info for you.
https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n54-30ff-en...-repair-guide/
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 10:51 PM   #4
hizi
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgAu View Post
Thanks TiAgAu, Ive had nearly everything on the listed look at by a BMW Workshop, they have done leak tests, replaced vacuum lines, tested the boost solenoids, replaced vacuum canisters, the only remaining items to try is tightening the actuators or replacing the turbos I believe.

I could get a second opinion from another reputable workshop who does alot of euro tuning. Honestly I just think its the turbos/WGs are the issue at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 09:15 PM   #5
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizi View Post
Thanks TiAgAu, Ive had nearly everything on the listed look at by a BMW Workshop, they have done leak tests, replaced vacuum lines, tested the boost solenoids, replaced vacuum canisters, the only remaining items to try is tightening the actuators or replacing the turbos I believe.

I could get a second opinion from another reputable workshop who does alot of euro tuning. Honestly I just think its the turbos/WGs are the issue at this point.
I personally would not try adjusting the arms. You can only turn the rear turbo anyway and it’s only a temp fix that will not
Last long. You also risk over tightening and makings the WG stick. Iv chatted to many bmw techs about this and they all say not to adjust them.

How did you “test” the boost solenoids ? They are not too expensive, I would put some new ones on so you can rule those out. If you do end up getting new turbos it’s good to have new solids along with them.

Have you tried a different map just to make sure it’s not the tune? My car doesn’t like V10 very much. Iv been stage 2+ V7 for about 6 years. 170km on the car now.
      03-11-2024, 01:34 AM   #6
OMEGA412
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
I can also hear a easily heard spooling noise on low rpm (1000-2500rpm), I have standard intakes. I dont know if this is normal.
Boost leak my guy. I've hear that noise twice. Once when my silicone Charlie elbow touched my serpentine belt and shredded a hole thru it. The other time my chargeable slipped off. Heck from the turbo outlet thru the intercooler and up into the charge pipe. If u have a failed pcv valve it could be a cracked valve cover as well
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 12:49 PM   #7
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Does the spooling sound like a hissing ? That may be boost leak.
If the spooling sounds like a police siren in the distance that’s worn turbos.

If your exhaust sounds deeper than usual that could be the waste gates stuck open not making any boost.