E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Light Throttle Hesitation

02-11-2021, 04:20 AM   #89
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by streettuned519 View Post
I tried to use datazip but MHD said "coming soon".

Yea I noticed the exact same thing. Im running MHD stage 2+ with FMIC, Chargepipe, Injen intake, catless DP and full exhaust.

Changed the oil and NGK spark plugs gapped to .022 last weekend.
Upload the .csv here... https://datazap.me/

Which version of the map? V7, 8, 9 etc?

Do you have the same issues with stage 1/1+ maps etc?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 06:49 AM   #90
streettuned519
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335xi n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Upload the .csv here... https://datazap.me/

Which version of the map? V7, 8, 9 etc?

Do you have the same issues with stage 1/1+ maps etc?
Looks like its Version 1.60 im N55.

I tuned to stage 1+ and it runs smoother but still has hesitation issues and im losing boost higher in the RPM range still. Here is the graph I logged on stage 1+.

https://datazap.me/u/streettuned519/...=0&data=3-4-15
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #91
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I tuned to stage 1+ and it runs smoother but still has hesitation issues and im losing boost higher in the RPM range still. Here is the graph I logged on stage 1+.

https://datazap.me/u/streettuned519/...=0&data=3-4-15
That's MHD version, which Map version did you flash?

N55? Could be boost solenoids playing up.

Email mhd.tuning@gmail.com see what they say. Your also better off asking in the N55 forums.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #92
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

https://datazap.me/u/streettuned519/...38;data=3-4-15

Email mhd.tuning@gmail.com see what they say. Your also better off asking in the N55 forums.
There's quite a bit of traffic on this behaviour for the N54 and I chased it for some time

What I found is that there can be multiple causes, but once you start modding it's quite often tune related

if you look at the load request and load actual of your log you'll see that the load actual exceeds the request early in the log, I used to be able to generate this with very light throttle applications in my car, and it would then oscillate as the DME tried to keep the actual under or equal to the request

after replacing many things, I had mine fixed with a custom tune where the tuner was able to keep the actual under the requested

so the behaviour could be caused by a faulty component causing the actual to go above request, but also could just be the way your car responds to the mods or aftermarket tune

good luck with it, it's definitely annoying in traffic, and it's awesome when it's gone
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 04:46 PM   #93
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoper View Post
There's quite a bit of traffic on this behaviour for the N54 and I chased it for some time

What I found is that there can be multiple causes, but once you start modding it's quite often tune related

if you look at the load request and load actual of your log you'll see that the load actual exceeds the request early in the log, I used to be able to generate this with very light throttle applications in my car, and it would then oscillate as the DME tried to keep the actual under or equal to the request

after replacing many things, I had mine fixed with a custom tune where the tuner was able to keep the actual under the requested

so the behaviour could be caused by a faulty component causing the actual to go above request, but also could just be the way your car responds to the mods or aftermarket tune

good luck with it, it's definitely annoying in traffic, and it's awesome when it's gone
some people said it's because the car overboosts and it cuts throttle so you feel it. After changing the charge pipe and installing turbo smart plumb back valves the over boosting is gone but the issue still persists. My did the same thing when it was bone stock, without a single mod or tune, so there has to be a solution without going to a custom tune. Now im leaning towards plugged cats since past 4000rpm its smooth. Ill disconnect the exhaust and see if it makes a difference.
      02-13-2021, 11:00 PM   #94
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I was thinking, it could be map related, but I'm not the one with the issue, streettuned519 is.

Last edited by Saif2018; 02-14-2021 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 02:38 PM   #95
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

I flashed MHD Stage 1 for the first time last night. Noticed a hesitation immediately at low RPMs and it feels like it's shifting harder. Boot is definitely there at 2800 RPMs+.

I contacted MHD, they said:

"you can data log but it takes a while till all adaptions a relearned again after a flash "
      02-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #96
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:

I would hope the issue of streettuned is not tuning, as he's overboosting by A LOT. At one point he's 10psi over target. I would say this seems like a boost solenoid issue.
      02-18-2021, 02:52 AM   #97
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrobin View Post
I flashed MHD Stage 1 for the first time last night. Noticed a hesitation immediately at low RPMs and it feels like it's shifting harder. Boot is definitely there at 2800 RPMs+.

I contacted MHD, they said:

"you can data log but it takes a while till all adaptions a relearned again after a flash "
Below 2000 rpm there will be some hesitation, above that boost should be building up quick, within approximately 500rpm. Yes MHD is correct, you have to drive the car for a bit and definitely Datalog.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #98
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Below 2000 rpm there will be some hesitation, above that boost should be building up quick, within approximately 500rpm. Yes MHD is correct, you have to drive the car for a bit and definitely Datalog.
Can you elaborate on "datalog" and/or point me to a url/site that explains this and what I need to do?
      02-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #99
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Can you elaborate on "datalog" and/or point me to a url/site that explains this and what I need to do?
I don't know of any url/site, from my understanding turbo's should build boost within about 500rpm from giving it some gas. This depends on yhe condition of your turbo's/wastegates, if they are for example a bit tired can take 1k rpm, before building boost. Any significant throttle above 2k rpm should build boost pretty rapidly on stock twins.

Here's a brief video on how to Datalog using MHD...

After you've done that, create a free account and upload to Datazap.me

https://datazap.me/

For general Datalog analysis, here's a PDF,
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Interpreting MHD Datalogs.pdf (198.5 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Saif2018; 02-18-2021 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      02-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #100
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know of any url/site, from my understanding turbo's should build boost within about 500rpm from giving it some gas. This depends on yhe condition of your turbo's/wastegates, if they are for example a bit tired can take 1k rpm, before building boost. Any significant throttle above 2k rpm should build boost pretty rapidly on stock twins.

Here's a brief video on how to Datalog using MHD...

After you've done that, create a free account and upload to Datazap.me

https://datazap.me/

For general Datalog analysis, here's a PDF,
Perfect, thanks! How do I Like/Appreciate a post here? I see "Appreciate"; when I click on it nothing happens though.
      02-18-2021, 01:50 PM   #101
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Perfect, thanks! How do I Like/Appreciate a post here? I see "Appreciate"; when I click on it nothing happens though.
No idea, lol. No worries, your welcome.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #102
streettuned519
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335xi n55

Quote:

Sorry for the delayed response I appreciate all the support. I changed the boost solenoid yesterday and it runs way better much more manageable but still has very slight hesitation issues...

I graphed a new log and here is my result.
https://datazap.me/u/streettuned519/...=0&data=4-5-17
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 01:49 AM   #103
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response I appreciate all the support. I changed the boost solenoid yesterday and it runs way better much more manageable but still has very slight hesitation issues...

I graphed a new log and here is my result.
https://datazap.me/u/streettuned519/...=0&data=4-5-17
Still got the load request and actual load issue. Boost way below target.

You could try running Stage 1+ map to see if its any better,

Send the link to mhd.tuning@gmail.com, to get their input on it. Your also better of asking in the N55 forum section.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 01:47 PM   #104
Snowwhite335is
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335IS, 98 Camaro SS

Wink Light throttle hesistation

I got a light throttle hesitation after i was driving for about 45 minutes. on the freeway and in the residential area. if im not accelerating i get a slight jerking feeling while trying to maintain constants speed. Im flashed to MHD stage 2. I reflashed stage 2 but i changed to linear throttle. seemed to help the issue alot. seems sometimes the ecu is confused on what i am doing with my foot.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 02:02 PM   #105
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwhite335is View Post
I got a light throttle hesitation after i was driving for about 45 minutes. on the freeway and in the residential area. if im not accelerating i get a slight jerking feeling while trying to maintain constants speed. Im flashed to MHD stage 2. I reflashed stage 2 but i changed to linear throttle. seemed to help the issue alot. seems sometimes the ecu is confused on what i am doing with my foot.
Does this happen on stock map (Stage 0) ?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 02:08 PM   #106
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I'm curious if this issue is the same as what I'm experiencing. I feel it both with and without the MHD tune.

I'm n54 6Mt running stage 2+ (5.5" fmic, charge pipe, dps) New 02 sensors, plugs, injectors, hpfp, lpfp. vanos looks clean. No discernable leaks via smoke test. I also have new (BMW) pedals.

Starting off in first gear, just after the clutch is fully engaged, the car lurches forward a bit. Once I'm driving beyond that, I don't feel anything. Perhaps unrelated (but similar feeling) is when i'm on the highway cruising with very light throttle (barely on) the car has a bit of a surge as the engine responds to that very light throttle position. It's a bit too much response to such a light touch,. Almost like the tps isn't sending ultra precise data to the engine, and the engine starts at like 5% throttle from zero, rather than incrementally/smoothly getting there ( like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 instead of 0, 5, 6, 7...)

Are talking about the same issue? I've had the cruising condition since I put the MHD tune on, so I'm suspecting they're unrelated, as the start off issue is new. The cruising issue sounds very similar to snow-white's above

I don't want to go on a wild goose chase. But my list of potential culprits is.

Hairline crack on intake manifold or throttle body?
Bad tps in new pedals?
Bad 02 sensors?
Throttle position sensor?

Last edited by AWD Addict; 08-02-2023 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 12:27 AM   #107
theoforest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 335xi 2007

Garage List
2007 bmw 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I'm curious if this issue is the same as what I'm experiencing. I feel it both with and without the MHD tune.

I'm n54 6Mt running stage 2+ (5.5" fmic, charge pipe, dps) New 02 sensors, plugs, injectors, hpfp, lpfp. vanos looks clean. No discernable leaks via smoke test. I also have new (BMW) pedals.

Starting off in first gear, just after the clutch is fully engaged, the car lurches forward a bit. Once I'm driving beyond that, I don't feel anything. Perhaps unrelated (but similar feeling) is when i'm on the highway cruising with very light throttle (barely on) the car has a bit of a surge as the engine responds to that very light throttle position. It's a bit too much response to such a light touch,. Almost like the tps isn't sending ultra precise data to the engine, and the engine starts at like 5% throttle from zero, rather than incrementally/smoothly getting there ( like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 instead of 0, 5, 6, 7...)

Are talking about the same issue? I've had the cruising condition since I put the MHD tune on, so I'm suspecting they're unrelated, as the start off issue is new. The cruising issue sounds very similar to snow-white's above

I don't want to go on a wild goose chase. But my list of potential culprits is.

Hairline crack on intake manifold or throttle body?
Bad tps in new pedals?
Bad 02 sensors?
Throttle position sensor?
You ever found what caused the issue?
I’m having very similar symptom to you
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:20 AM   #108
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Nah. Just adjusting how I drive a bit to minimize.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 06:42 AM   #109
bigsurge
Private
Rep
Drives: none

I had a jerking sensation on very light throttle where afrs would spike from 14 to 19 and I think I fixed it last night.

Ive been playing with the mhd settings and the one that seems to have fixed the jerk is setting the wastegate rattle fix to 80%, what it does is keep the wastegates open during no throttle or light throttle application since for me the jerk was happening after coasting everytime like clockwork and now its gone
Appreciate 0