E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Sport steering wheel GROUNDING screw PN or size?

10-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Sport steering wheel GROUNDING screw PN or size?

Going from non-zsp to sport steering wheel. Thought I had all the parts, but then I noticed something was out of place in the final diagram.

From the images posted in other threads, it looks like there's a grounding wire attached to the metal back of the steering wheel on the left side.

I've pulled this image link demonstrating what I mean:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...ng%20wheel.JPG (From the DIY - retrofit paddle shifters, 9th image: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361439 )

My wheel came with the harness, but no screw. Anyone know the part number or size? The 5x22mm screws that hold the paddleshifters in place are too large and real OEM doesn't seem to list it.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...35&hg=32&fg=35

Thanks for all your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
are you missing the torx screw itself?
you're correct, on the wheel there should be the small grounding torx screw

attached to it is the ground for the horn from the grey plug that goes to the slip ring inside the wheel

i would use the screw from your old wheel, then go find a source to replace the one you removed. its just a regular machine screw. If you take the wheel to a specialty screw and fasteners store they'll def get you going. OR the hard way, take your wheel to home depot and start sizing machine screws to go in there. Phillips head would be fine. you dont need anything deep, just match the threads up, allow for depth and possibly two very small ring terminals.

10-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post
are you missing the torx screw itself?

i would use the screw from your old wheel, then go find a source to replace the one you removed. its just a regular machine screw.
I'll probably end up going to the hardware store. Just curious if anyone knew the size to keep me from having to bring the wheel in and try to fit it.

I am coming from non-zsp, there was no ground wire on my airbag/wheel when I looked Saturday. IIRC the airbag was just one big unit that sort of slid/snapped into pretty much a large hole in the wheel itself.
See these pictures, in the top one you can clearly see the harness for non-sport wheel. No grounding wire.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19680

I mean seriously BMW, how on earth could it be more cost effective to make two entirely different steering wheels, one of which is only available on the non-sport sedan....
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
MTTH
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 328xi |'18 440xi GranCoupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I can't find any info relating to this screw. Anybody have any info on it. Called the dealer & they have no clue.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
R3dLeader
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 and e93 335i

I have no idea the size, but I can confirm that the screw threads are different on a sport package wheel and an M-sport wheel. My used M-sport wheel screw head was stripped out pretty bad, I tried to use the good screw from my sport package wheel but it wouldn't fit.

Crazy that they used 2 different screws!

It comes with the steering wheel, that is why BMW wouldn't have it in the part catalog. You have to get the entire wheel haha.
Appreciate 0