E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Wastegate Issue Normal? Fix?

06-12-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
harperrn
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335xi N55

Hello!
Today I installed a VRSF catless DP on my '11 335xi. Since I bought the car I have been having this rattle in the passenger footwell and figured out what it was today when installing the DP. Others on the forum have suggested exhaust cutout rattle on the muffler. Which was an issue. But not now that I have a muffler delete. All I want to know is if there is a fix for this wastegate rattle issue. Or if I should start saving for a PS2 turbo video is attached. Any suggestions appreciated. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0G2M...A#Fort_Collins
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Sounds exactly like mine. I've had that noise since I bought it 7 years ago. The car itself is over 11 years old now. It's never gotten any better and never gotten any worse. I haven't had any ill effects, so I have just ignored it. It tends to go away after it's warmed up. I'm sure there's an adjustment to make it tighter.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Out of curiosity, when you do the muffler delete is the CAN flap also removed?
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 06:12 AM   #4
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperrn View Post
Hello!
Today I installed a VRSF catless DP on my '11 335xi. Since I bought the car I have been having this rattle in the passenger footwell and figured out what it was today when installing the DP. Others on the forum have suggested exhaust cutout rattle on the muffler. Which was an issue. But not now that I have a muffler delete. All I want to know is if there is a fix for this wastegate rattle issue. Or if I should start saving for a PS2 turbo video is attached. Any suggestions appreciated. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0G2M...A#Fort_Collins
I mean.... if you're planning on saving for a PS2, I don't think anyone here would be against that....

But yes, the sound you are hearing is normal. It CAN be tuned out, but throw enough food coloring in the sea and you can make it purple too - What's the point?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:38 PM   #5
harperrn
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Out of curiosity, when you do the muffler delete is the CAN flap also removed?
Yes. I cut out the whole muffler assembly at the straight section right after the support beam near the rear diff and fabricated pipes with new stainless tips, thereby deleting the flap. Then set the flap to always open with BimmerLink so I don’t need the golf tee mod to keep the vac tube capped.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:39 PM   #6
harperrn
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
I mean.... if you're planning on saving for a PS2, I don't think anyone here would be against that....

But yes, the sound you are hearing is normal. It CAN be tuned out, but throw enough food coloring in the sea and you can make it purple too - What's the point?
True that. Thank you!

Ps are you using JB4 to adjust the actuator duty cycle?
Appreciate 0