E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 oil cooler: yes, it's possible

03-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #23
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Well I've had experience with overheating and power loss on the track. Mine turned out to be a warped cylinder head. I had it resurfaced and rebuilt. Fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #24
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Well I've had experience with overheating and power loss on the track. Mine turned out to be a warped cylinder head. I had it resurfaced and rebuilt. Fixed the issue.
Ah, okay - interesting. Glad you're OK now. Knock on wood I'm not in that deep into problems
      03-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #25
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

So can anyone say what type of decrease in oil temps we are looking at for the oem unit? For $130 its no brainer.

Also, how much sooner does the oil warm up in the winter?
      03-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #26
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I used to peak at 300-310F. Now it holds at around 270F. The factory 335 oil cooler I don't think has a thermostat. So it will keep the oil cooler at all times. I have a stett stage 2 with a thermostat. So normal driving doesn't even activate the thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #27
rhombus
Capt Rhombus
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/6, E91 325xi/6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
I used to peak at 300-310F. Now it holds at around 270F. The factory 335 oil cooler I don't think has a thermostat. So it will keep the oil cooler at all times. I have a stett stage 2 with a thermostat. So normal driving doesn't even activate the thermostat.
I believe the 335 oil cooler does have a thermostat to prevent overcooling of the oil.
      03-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #28
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombus View Post
I believe the 335 oil cooler does have a thermostat to prevent overcooling of the oil.
I've been researching this extensively and the 335i does in fact have a thermostat, which is external on the oil oil filter housing. There is an adapter plate that can be installed in place of the thermostat that allows for constant oil flow through the oil cooler.

As a side note, up until last night my plan was to install the oil cooler in the wheel well just like the 335i. Then I had a brain fart and realized that the only reason it's in the wheel well on the 335i is because they have an intercooler sitting behind the lower front middle grill, so guess where I'm most likely going to be installing my oil cooler? Yup, behind the lower front middle grill. I'm now researching long (approximately 20 inch) low profile coolers.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #29
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
I've been researching this extensively and the 335i does in fact have a thermostat, which is external on the oil oil filter housing. There is an adapter plate that can be installed in place of the thermostat that allows for constant oil flow through the oil cooler.

As a side note, up until last night my plan was to install the oil cooler in the wheel well just like the 335i. Then I had a brain fart and realized that the only reason it's in the wheel well on the 335i is because they have an intercooler sitting behind the lower front middle grill, so guess where I'm most likely going to be installing my oil cooler? Yup, behind the lower front middle grill. I'm now researching long (approximately 20 inch) low profile coolers.
PLEASE keep me updated on this. I am looking/at the exact setup. Would love to see your project involve so I can follow like a sheep
      03-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #30
rhombus
Capt Rhombus
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I would not recommend bypassing the oil thermostat. Overcooling the oil in the winter would be bad. You want to maintain the oil temp in the operating range. If the oil gets too cold, it will thicken up and no longer protect the engine (just like a cold engine). You want the oil at 160degF min operating temp. Dedicated race cars dont need the thermostat because they are not racing in the winter.
      03-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #31
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
I would not recommend bypassing the oil thermostat. Overcooling the oil in the winter would be bad. You want to maintain the oil temp in the operating range. If the oil gets too cold, it will thicken up and no longer protect the engine (just like a cold engine). You want the oil at 160degF min operating temp. Dedicated race cars dont need the thermostat because they are not racing in the winter.
Thank you for the heads up, but I had no intention of bypassing the thermostat. Just like I have no intention on buying a cheap cooler. My only heartburn has been the thought of spending between $1,200 and $1,400 on a prefab kit. I'm certain I can piece one together for under $1,000 and less if I source a used N54 oil filter housing. Tomorrow I will be on a long flight to New York and hopefully the plane has Wi-Fi so I can get in several hours of oil cooler research time.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #32
rhombus
Capt Rhombus
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the heads up, but I had no intention of bypassing the thermostat. Just like I have no intention on buying a cheap cooler. My only heartburn has been the thought of spending between $1,200 and $1,400 on a prefab kit. I'm certain I can piece one together for under $1,000 and less if I source a used N54 oil filter housing. Tomorrow I will be on a long flight to New York and hopefully the plane has Wi-Fi so I can get in several hours of oil cooler research time.
I went with the OEM N52 oil cooler which is standard on almost all euro cars and on the E60 N52.

It is a heat exchanger which uses the engine coolant/radiator to cool the oil. It is built into the oil filter housing. It also warms the oil up when cold. I purchased the OEM part used for $65 and replaced the gaskets. and then the necessary hose and coolant pipe new. I did the swap while I did a full coolant system refresh (radiator, expansion tank and all hoses in the engine bay). My oil filter housing gasket was starting to leak anyway so it was a prime opportunity to swap parts. I like the result and its OEM.
Attached Images

03-27-2015, 04:24 AM   #33
Yury
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i xDrive

Quote:
I went with the OEM N52 oil cooler which is standard on almost all euro cars and on the E60 N52.

It is a heat exchanger which uses the engine coolant/radiator to cool the oil. It is built into the oil filter housing. It also warms the oil up when cold. I purchased the OEM part used for $65 and replaced the gaskets. and then the necessary hose and coolant pipe new. I did the swap while I did a full coolant system refresh (radiator, expansion tank and all hoses in the engine bay). My oil filter housing gasket was starting to leak anyway so it was a prime opportunity to swap parts. I like the result and its OEM.
Why don't you remove stock air duct, it's useless now and engine bay looks unfinished
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #34
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Does anyone have any before and after temp data that added the oe cooler?

Also, I would love some hard numbers on under the hood temp drops from headers.
      03-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #35
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Why don't you remove stock air duct, it's useless now and engine bay looks unfinished
but I bet the sound is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #36
rhombus
Capt Rhombus
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
I had it removed when I first installed the kit but then realized it could serve a purpose. It is actually functional still. It directs cool air over the supercharger which in itself produces some heat. Since the supercharger uses a self contained oil system, it radiates the heat it produces from friction/gears through the supercharger housing. The air made a measurable difference in the housing temp of the supercharger after running it hard. I plan on making a nozzle on the end of the intake to make it look more finished.
      05-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #37
RuinE90d
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport 6MT

While this is probably a dead topic to most... I believe this is a worthwhile topic to any N52 owner that pushes their car. I tracked my NA 330i 6MT last year and over heated a few laps into the first run. That experience encouraged me to get a cluster with an oil temp gauge. I bought a used unit on EBay and paid next to $0 when I sold my OE unit. 6 months later (To present day) and I'm seeing routine oil temps in the 235-240F range on 30 min drives home from work (with minimal traffic).

I don't track this car much, but having replaced a water pump last fall... I can't help but believe these cars run too hot. I sourced the parts (335xi housing, AD eng thermostat, new gaskets and bolts, oil cooler and stainless lines)and added an oil cooler to my car for right at $300. I've seen temps drop by 20-25 degrees and I am much more confident in the car with this setup. Not to mention the oil temp reduces from elevated much faster with the cooler.

I personally recommend this mod (at least to anyone who uses their car on track).
Attached Images

Last edited by RuinE90d; 05-27-2016 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Pics
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #38
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuinE90d View Post
While this is probably a dead topic to most... I believe this is a worthwhile topic to any N52 owner that pushes their car. I tracked my NA 330i 6MT last year and over heated a few laps into the first run. That experience encouraged me to get a cluster with an oil temp gauge. I bought a used unit on EBay and paid next to $0 when I sold my OE unit. 6 months later (To present day) and I'm seeing routine oil temps in the 235-240F range on 30 min drives home from work (with minimal traffic).

I don't track this car much, but having replaced a water pump last fall... I can't help but believe these cars run too hot. I sourced the parts (335xi housing, AD eng thermostat, new gaskets and bolts, oil cooler and stainless lines)and added an oil cooler to my car for right at $300. I've seen temps drop by 20-25 degrees and I am much more confident in the car with this setup. Not to mention the oil temp reduces from elevated much faster with the cooler.

I personally recommend this mod (at least to anyone who uses their car on track).
I recently had the Evolution Racewerks oil cooler kit installed on my N51. During street or highway driving I notice about a 20 degree drop in oil temperature, now 230 to 235 degrees as compared to 250 to 255 degrees. I still experienced soaring oil temperatures during my last track day with the oil cooler but it did take longer for the oil to get to 280 plus degrees and it never got to 300 degrees like before. The BMS oil thermostat bypass valve just arrived in the mail and I'm hoping this will allow me to get through a 20 minute track session with cooler oil. It is my understanding the OEM oil thermostat opens at 238 degrees.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1257462
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #39
E91 M Sport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 M Sport

Quote:
Common sense would lead us to believe this, however the opposite occurs. Multi weight oils are pretty trick if you think about it because they're thin when cold and thicken up when heated. If you've ever poured a quart of single weight 40 oil vs 0-40 you know what I mean.

But you're still right that improper oil temps would affect an engine, to thin and you're going to start spinning bearings.

Also race cars use single weight oil as it provides more consistent protection and doesn't break down as quickly as multi weight oils do.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #40
RuinE90d
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport 6MT

Tom Droze, have you used the BMS bypass yet? I read a lot before picking the AD Eng thermostat and went with it, as it supposedly retains the ability to warm oil to 180F before opening. You have a really clean setup btw, your thread was one I read in my research. One thing that might be worth mentioning is your mounting the oil cooler upside down, that's one configuration that was discouraged in materials I read outside the forums. I believe the concern was trapping air in the oil cooler. I could find the literature if you're interested. Anyways, nice setup, I hope it's running better now.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #41
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuinE90d View Post
Tom Droze, have you used the BMS bypass yet? I read a lot before picking the AD Eng thermostat and went with it, as it supposedly retains the ability to warm oil to 180F before opening. You have a really clean setup btw, your thread was one I read in my research. One thing that might be worth mentioning is your mounting the oil cooler upside down, that's one configuration that was discouraged in materials I read outside the forums. I believe the concern was trapping air in the oil cooler. I could find the literature if you're interested. Anyways, nice setup, I hope it's running better now.
Below is a link to a write up I did a few days ago, it is the last post in the thread.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1277040
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 10:04 PM   #42
_335xi
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335i

If anyone's interested I have an n54 oil filter housing (for oil cooler) available with the oem thermostat. Shoot me a pm.
Appreciate 0