E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2006 330i trans swap question?

07-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

2006 330i trans swap question?

I can get a good deal on a n52b30o with a 6 speed manual w/ low miles 76,000. $800

What's needed to go from Auto to Manual? Can I use the same tcu for this? I know my way around ncs expert, inpa, winkfp, nfs flash, and ista. Is it worth it for the swap? My current mileage is right under 162,000 miles and not Km.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

There's no tcu on a manual.

Basically, you need to do some coding - remove option 205A, default code the car. Not super complicated.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
There's no tcu on a manual.

Basically, you need to do some coding - remove option 205A, default code the car. Not super complicated.
Easy peesy lemon squeezy. Do you know if trans mounts mount up? Only thing I guess I'm looking to get then is prob some gaskets and the shift boot I'm thinking?
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Everything should bolt up. I presume the trans brace is different, but you have a whole parts car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #5
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Everything should bolt up. I presume the trans brace is different, but you have a whole parts car.
Quote:
unfortunately not it's just the engine and trans. I went ahead and got it but I'm deciding if I should rebuild the top end on the motor. any internal upgrades that are worth while at a decent price point? I Know milvs
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesha View Post
Quote:
Quote:
unfortunately not it's just the engine and trans. I went ahead and got it but I'm deciding if I should rebuild the top end on the motor. any internal upgrades that are worth while at a decent price point? I Know milvs
following this thread...
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
following this thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
following this thread...

still and a standstill.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Driveshaft and diff input is different.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #9
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

auto and manual diffs are the same aren't they? Otherwise, people couldn't swap them.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #10
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
I can get a good deal on a n52b30o with a 6 speed manual w/ low miles 76,000. $800

What's needed to go from Auto to Manual? Can I use the same tcu for this? I know my way around ncs expert, inpa, winkfp, nfs flash, and ista. Is it worth it for the swap? My current mileage is right under 162,000 miles and not Km.
Here's a super lengthy writeup detailing all the parts and steps needed:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207505

Since you're in CA, take a look at this discussion with a guy who will do the labor cheaply:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628401

I am mechanically capable of doing the work, but for $900 labor I'd glady pay this guy to do it, especially since I don't have a lift.

If I was installing a new engine and transmission, I'd do some preventive maintenance just because it's cheap and easy to do while they're out of the car:

- Oil pan gasket
- Valve cover gasket
- Rear Main Seal

The MT driveshaft is different than the AT. I'd install a brand new flex disc and center support bearing.

Hopefully you've seen/heard the donor engine run. I would personally remove the head and have it cleaned up, but that's just me being OCD. While the head is off, you might as well install MILVs.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Quote:

Since you're in CA, take a look at this discussion with a guy who will do the labor cheaply:

I am mechanically capable of doing the work, but for $900 labor I'd glady pay this guy to do the work.

If I was installing a new engine and transmission, I'd do some preventive maintenance just because it's cheap and easy to do while they're out of the car:

- Oil pan gasket
- Valve cover gasket
- Rear Main Seal

The MT driveshaft is different than the AT. I'd install a brand new flex disc and center support bearing.

Hopefully you've seen/heard the donor engine run. I would personally remove the head and have it cleaned up, but that's just me being OCD. While the head is off, you might as well install MILVs.

I'd be tempted to install new piston rings and a new headgasket on any donor engine, but from what I've read these engines are very durable and show minimal wear even after excessively high mileage and after being beaten on.
you are a legend for providing the link
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
auto and manual diffs are the same aren't they? Otherwise, people couldn't swap them.
Yes they're identical besides ratio (auto 3.73, manual 3.23). Only the Xdrives have a different input flange.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #13
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
from what I know they are. just geared slightly different. I could be absolutely wrong though. we shall see soon
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #14
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I am mechanically capable of doing the work, but for $900 labor I'd glady pay this guy to do it, especially since I don't have a lift.

- Oil pan gasket
- Valve cover gasket
- Rear Main Seal

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- Oil pan gasket
- Valve cover gasket
- Rear Main Seal

thank you so much. milvs are out of the question at the moment. just do t have the money, and did t the guy get banned for not having the right account?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 12:29 AM   #15
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

That's the problem of the forum nazis - not really the fault of Marty. This place would be a ghost town without members like him.
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #16
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the problem of the forum nazis - not really the fault of Marty. This place would be a ghost town without members like him.
and members like you too Hass! don't sell yourself short

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #17
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

rominun is the manual swap master on here, more or less.
      09-09-2019, 01:37 AM   #18
rominun
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
never done one on an n52 but shouldnt be much different. lmk if you need any help with it. im pretty sure ive perfected the swap since ive done it half a dozen times. my new project on my 135 is dct swap slowly acquiring parts and gonna go under the knife in 2 weeks
Appreciate 1
Fritzer944.50
      09-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #19
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The radiators are different too, I just remembered because I've looked into it a few months ago and would like to do a conversion too.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #20
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

The AT rad has a trans cooler. But you can just cap it off and leave it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #21
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The AT rad has a trans cooler. But you can just cap it off and leave it.
My plan is to swap it all. No point keeping something that doesn't serve a real purpose once the transmission has been swapped. Gotta keep the weight low!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #22
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I doubt it makes much difference in weight, but sure.
Appreciate 0