E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Header Options: AA, Roundelwerk, JKVK Racing?

07-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #23
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
When does the sale expire?
Sunday
I couldn't pass up the 4th of July sale on the aa headers. At $730 shipped to my door it was close enough to the roundelwerks that it made sense to pay the slight premium. Thanks mike!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #24
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
I couldn't pass up the 4th of July sale on the aa headers. At $730 shipped to my door it was close enough to the roundelwerks that it made sense to pay the slight premium. Thanks mike!!
I ordered from him the last time he had a sale going. They showed up very quick, nicely packaged, and fit great.....aside from it being one of the more aggravating header installs that I have done.

I would have hated to have had a set that did not align perfectly or it would have really been a PITA.
      07-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #25
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
My pleasure

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #26
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I have evidence that the "3 stage header" tune they originally sold Pete (rip) was almost completely a stock 328i tune.
AA? or BPC

AA tune was no good in comparison to the StageFP tune I got done
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #27
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdel View Post
I got the exact same ones from ebay(JKVK I believe) then sent them to get ceramic coated. havent put them on yet, waiting to see If I can get an dme update. Here's what they look like. Dom
https://www.ebay.com/itm/N52-N53-E81...53.m2749.l2649
How did they work out?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #28
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrad1776 View Post
How did they work out?
indeed inquiring minds want to know.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #29
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
AA? or BPC

AA tune was no good in comparison to the StageFP tune I got done
AA
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #30
domdel
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrad1776 View Post
How did they work out?
Thanks for your interest. Still havent installed them. If you ask me... I think the build quality is as good as any of the name brands. They all look exactly like they have all the same cuts and welds.
I'm still at the stage of buying all the tools to do A full read of my MSV80. I have a read of my dme with Kess and have modified my bin with secondary lambda sensors eliminated. Still have to flash it back, but buying backups of the dme and cas, just in case it doesn't' go as planned. Would really like to get a read of the flash with Ktag, But having a hard time determining which pin is the boot pin. Probably install them when I park it for winter. Thanks Dom
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:34 PM   #31
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your interest. Still havent installed them. If you ask me... I think the build quality is as good as any of the name brands. They all look exactly like they have all the same cuts and welds.
I'm still at the stage of buying all the tools to do A full read of my MSV80. I have a read of my dme with Kess and have modified my bin with secondary lambda sensors eliminated. Still have to flash it back, but buying backups of the dme and cas, just in case it doesn't' go as planned. Would really like to get a read of the flash with Ktag, But having a hard time determining which pin is the boot pin. Probably install them when I park it for winter. Thanks Dom
What other name brands you have exeriance with. Could you show pictures of the headers
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #32
domdel
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i e93

Sorry, I have no experience with these headers at all. Guess i'll find out about fitment iater when i install them. I'm not anticipating any difficulty's, if so...i'll just get a bigger hammer, lol. I don't see them being any different from any other brands. I saw that the roundel/werks are on sale for $599. Sounds like a good deal. Check page 1 pics. Dom

Last edited by domdel; 10-25-2019 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: add
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:44 PM   #33
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I have no experience with these headers at all. Guess i'll find out about fitment iater when i install them. I'm not anticipating any difficulty's, if so...i'll just get a bigger hammer, lol. I don't see them being any different from any other brands. I saw that the roundel/werks are on sale for $599. Sounds like a good deal. Check page 1 pics. Dom
When are you gonna install them?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:31 PM   #34
200,000 club
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i 6MT

Quote:
AA
Do you have anything against bpc or stagefp, because I've only ever heard good things about them
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:07 PM   #35
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

no, Bob knows what he's doing. The original AA tunes barely changed anything at all, and as far as I know, they never fixed their limp mode issues (torque overflow error) with the later tunes that actually made a little power.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 02:22 AM   #36
200,000 club
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i 6MT

Quote:
no, Bob knows what he's doing. The original AA tunes barely changed anything at all, and as far as I know, they never fixed their limp mode issues (torque overflow error) with the later tunes that actually made a little power.
Oh I must've misunderstood, I thought you were saying that the stagefp tune was no good
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #37
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Can confirm the torque overflow problem on the AA tunes

This happened to me on I-95 in CT and it was scary.. Especially when you have cars behind you and you enter limp mode at highway speeds. Happened to me in 2018, got the Stage tune in Summer '19 and never had an issue with that tune.
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #38
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

i have AA tune , never had that issue , first time I m reading about this issue in all these years in this forum ...

someone actually made a dyno back to back comparison between AA and BPC/ stageFP and the results showed both tunes made almost the same peak horse power.

I think StageFP is better but AA is not really that far behind , its not like we are even talking about 10 hp difference , if i remember correctly the power difference between both was less than 7 hp.
Would I recommend StageFP over AA sure for a first tune user? sure , I mean Bob knows what he is doing and hr seems to squeeze a few more HP at mid range. Would I recommend someone with AA tune to go over to stage FP? probably no , 750 $ ( 1000$ Canadian) to gain probably 5 hp at mid-range is not really worth it ...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:53 PM   #39
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

There are different versions of the AA tunes. The one they did for Pete (rip), they basically changed nothing. They didn't even enable the disa valves (still had stock 328i values), fix the AFR curve or change valve lift. I'd have to dig up the emails again, but they changed almost nothing. This is what they were selling everyone as an off the shelf tune.

When BPC started tuning (and after I called out AA for riping off Pete, and was threatened by them), they tried to improve their tunes, but didn't know how to get around the torque overflow errors. These were the "custom" tunes. Multiple people posted their issues with it going into limp mode, 2D59 errors, etc.

Notice they've completely disappeared from this forum, for several years now. They probably still sell tunes, but I don't see any reason why you would choose them now. Even the free stock 330i tune is a big improvement over what they charged Pete $700 for. They didn't know what they were doing, and were preying on the ignorance of the BMW community to get away with it.

So yeah, the "custom" tune was closer - on the dyno. But having to live with random limp modes seems like a pretty serious drawback. They could only "fix" it by neutering the tunes, lol.

Looking back, I've had the same argument with you for years. If you're happy being ignorant, and having a "black box" tune that doesn't do what it claims to - whatever. I'm not the one who got ripped off.

Last edited by hassmaschine; 07-10-2020 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 03:15 AM   #40
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
i have AA tune , never had that issue , first time I m reading about this issue in all these years in this forum ...

someone actually made a dyno back to back comparison between AA and BPC/ stageFP and the results showed both tunes made almost the same peak horse power.

I think StageFP is better but AA is not really that far behind , its not like we are even talking about 10 hp difference , if i remember correctly the power difference between both was less than 7 hp.
Would I recommend StageFP over AA sure for a first tune user? sure , I mean Bob knows what he is doing and hr seems to squeeze a few more HP at mid range. Would I recommend someone with AA tune to go over to stage FP? probably no , 750 $ ( 1000$ Canadian) to gain probably 5 hp at mid-range is not really worth it ...
I'm almost certain I have a comparison between AA & BPCs Alfa N.
They definitely squeezed more power out. Can confirm. Now that bob is at stagefp, if anyone were to ask me, I'd point in his direction every time. Dudes the wizard. Switching if you have AA already (the newer stuff that is... I had whatever silly off-road time that took care of the CEL for headers) would be a waste for sure. Unless you're aiming to squeeze (like me) every little bit out of the platform.

Attached dyno sheet (disa valve(s) = poopy. Regardless, the data is there. AA tune with their headers —> BPCs)

Edit: this dyno was just their stage 2. Alfa N when I got to swapping in the IAT sensor made a wee bit more. Nothing really worth noting.
Attached Images