E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Hifi coding issue on CIC after Alpine retrofit

05-01-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
spud8385
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI 325d M Sport

Hifi coding issue on CIC after Alpine retrofit

Hi all I’ve read several related threads here and on other forums but haven’t found any specific answers to my issues so here goes...

So I had a dealer install the Alpine retrofit in my 2010 LCI E92 with CIC a few weeks after I bought it (£720, got stung, wish I’d read up more before going for it!). It sounded much better than the stock sound system, but the high end was very harsh. I also blew the original 6.5” subs out fairly quickly.

It went back into the dealer, to replace the subs under warranty (it’s an AUC), but also because, on certain frequencies, I get a buzzing sound out of the new passenger door mid-range speaker. They replaced the subs and said they couldn’t find anything wrong with the mid-range. I drove it around for a few weeks and had it back in again, with some tracks I could really notice the buzzing on loaded into the hard drive so they could hear it. They replaced it, but it doesn’t seem to have fixed the issue.

After reading about coding the car to Hifi I thought that that should help the harsh high-end and maybe sort the buzzing out before I complained to the dealer again. Picked up a D-CAN and coded the car - most of the tutorials were for CCC/Professional radio, and talked about adding $676 to the VO and just SG_codieren either 2RAD or CAPPL, CHOST, CGATE, CAUDI and CTUNE. I didn’t have any of these modules, so just coded CIC which changed my audio_system_cic to Hifi. However, it didn’t sound any different, and when I looked at the FSW_PSW.TRC file that’s pulled when you initially boot up NCS Expert (and contains the parameters from all the modules) there was still a lot of mentions of e92_stereo all over the place.

So I went back in and did the code whole car function. I probably shouldn’t have used that, and it got a bit hairy (I had an ABS error flash up on the CIC screen which disappeared after a reset). Eventually the coding errored out on a module, can’t remember which, however when I checked the new FSW_PSW.TRC there was e92_hifi all over it, so I figured it must have worked. Left it for 20 minutes to go into sleep mode, got back in and still, sounds no different!

A lot of the people on here and other forums have gushed about how much better the system sounds after coding, but there’s hardly any info about people coding a CIC unit - am I missing something? And the buzzing in the passenger mid-range is still there too.

If anyone has any idea what I’ve done wrong it would be much appreciated, I’m trying to get over my buyers remorse by making this upgrade sound decent, I’ve blown the 2nd set of subs so just buying some Logic 7 ones instead which should help, but the harsh sound and buzzing is really pissing me off!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

On the bottom of the amp there is a switch with 1-2. Slide the switch to the other setting and give it a listen again.
As for the coding, you should have been fine just closing the CIC to Hifi. You did not need to code anything else.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

On a side note, you did start with the base system with no tweeters in the doors, no amp in the back? correct?
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
spud8385
Rep

Yeah, no tweeters originally and no amp. I’ve tried switching it but didn’t notice a big difference - certainly neither setting is noticeably better than pre-coding.

Apparently Hifi coding is meant to change the output to 5v, is there somewhere I could stick a multimeter to check if it worked? I didn’t get any issues with the PDC/Gong after coding which some have reported, and the sound to the rear speakers is still pretty audible, which again makes me think I’ve missed something?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #5
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Check your CIC trc file for audio_output and let me know what you find.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 02:33 AM   #6
spud8385
Rep

Hi David, I checked and I don't have audio_output in my TRC? I've linked to my TRC post-coding (hope that's allowed here, seemed like a lot to copy paste here!), let me know if it's useful to have a look at my pre-coded TRC as have that too:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...Y0d2tzZkdXT2Zj
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud8385 View Post
Hi David, I checked and I don't have audio_output in my TRC? I've linked to my TRC post-coding (hope that's allowed here, seemed like a lot to copy paste here!), let me know if it's useful to have a look at my pre-coded TRC as have that too:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...Y0d2tzZkdXT2Zj
That is not the CIC readout.
In Ncsexpert, get in, find CIC, do a sg_leisen, and post that .trc file.

You are looking for audio_system_cic

Last edited by david in germany; 05-02-2018 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
spud8385
Rep

It’s the combined readout for all modules NCS Expert produces when you first load your chassis, if you do a search for audio_system_cic you’ll see it in there, set to “hifi”!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 05:25 AM   #9
spud8385
Rep

Not sure if it's relevant, but just been reading a thread about people who were having issues getting retrofitted bluetooth to take, and used the SG_RESET command with success : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=765036&page=3.

I haven't tried this, but could this apply to my hifi issue? Or does the fact that when I connect to the car now and read the CIC ECU it already says hifi under AUDIO_SYSTEM_CIC so therefore the SG_RESET method wouldn't make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 06:07 AM   #10
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if it's relevant, but just been reading a thread about people who were having issues getting retrofitted bluetooth to take, and used the SG_RESET command with success : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=765036&page=3.

I haven't tried this, but could this apply to my hifi issue? Or does the fact that when I connect to the car now and read the CIC ECU it already says hifi under AUDIO_SYSTEM_CIC so therefore the SG_RESET method wouldn't make a difference?
I was going to recommend the SG_Reset but just haven't had a chance to get back online.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 06:24 AM   #11
spud8385
Rep

Thanks David, I'll give it a go, although I've just done a comparison between my old FSW_PSW.TRC and the one I now have after adding $676 and using expertmode to "Process Car" (which like I said I probably shouldn't have done) - and it terrifies the shit out of me. 315 different parameters amended, across several ECUs!! Some of them seem to have no relation to what I was attempting:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwgA...letype=msexcel

I'm half tempted to just start over, I mean for example, FH_PARAMETER_11_3R has changed from e92 to e93, that makes no sense to me!

Would you recommend just getting the car back to stock and starting again? And is there a good way of doing this? I now feel totally lost

Edit: on the flipside, I'm not sure whether the fact that the FSW_PSW.TRC file actually contains updated values now means that the coding actually has taken (negating the need to try SG_RESET), or whether there is some other trickery going on which means that it's returning those values but has not actually changed the sound output which sounds no different to me.

Last edited by spud8385; 05-03-2018 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 06:35 AM   #12
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yes, coding the entire car at once is not what I would have done. If you need to code something in the future, stick with the bare minimum. Add something to the VO, FA_write to CAS and NFRM and then code the specific module (CIC in this case) with SG_Codiren. as for putting the car back to how it was... Remove $676 from the VO then FA_Write to CAS and NFRM. Then code CIC to default. then go back in and change the audio_system_cic.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 06:39 AM   #13
spud8385
Rep

Thanks David - what about all of the other things that have been changed when I did Process Car - to revert to stock before trying to code hifi again, should I remove $676 from the VO and do Process Car again? Edit: or maybe just remove 676 and SG_RESET every module in turn?

And despite there being a lot of values that didn't seem related to the audio, there were many, from different modules, that did change from stereo to hifi alongside AUDIO_SYSTEM_CIC, should I not worry about these?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:08 AM   #14
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks David - what about all of the other things that have been changed when I did Process Car - to revert to stock before trying to code hifi again, should I remove $676 from the VO and do Process Car again? Edit: or maybe just remove 676 and SG_RESET every module in turn?

And despite there being a lot of values that didn't seem related to the audio, there were many, from different modules, that did change from stereo to hifi alongside AUDIO_SYSTEM_CIC, should I not worry about these?
When you remove an item from the vo you need to code the modules that are fed from the VO (most of them) I would default code the modules individually and NOT code the entire car again. The SG_reset only restarts the module it does not code it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #15
spud8385
Rep

Ok cheers, so once I’ve removed $676 from the VO and individually run sg_codieren on all the modules, one by one, my whole-system FSW_PSW.TRC should match my original one I saved when I first ever plugged my DCAN cable in?

And then what do you recommend, re-add $676 and sg_codieren CIC only, or ignore the FO and just use a manipulation profile to change AUDIO_SYSTEM_CIC from stereo to hifi and let the car go to sleep?

Sorry for all the questions! Just want to get this right.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #16
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok cheers, so once I’ve removed $676 from the VO and individually run sg_codieren on all the modules, one by one, my whole-system FSW_PSW.TRC should match my original one I saved when I first ever plugged my DCAN cable in?

And then what do you recommend, re-add $676 and sg_codieren CIC only, or ignore the FO and just use a manipulation profile to change AUDIO_SYSTEM_CIC from stereo to hifi and let the car go to sleep?

Sorry for all the questions! Just want to get this right.
I would just code the CIC once you have recoded the original VO.
Use Expert profile and SG_codiren the CIC
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #17
spud8385
Rep

Okay, I’ll give this a go, probably tomorrow evening, and report back, cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #18
spud8385
Rep

Just a thought, but could the reason for so many parameters/modules (including many that seem to have nothing to do with the sound system) being changed when I initially did "Process Car > Code Car" after adding $676 to my VO be because I'm using the latest daten files, and BMW made changes to various parameters in the years between my car being built and my daten being released that I'm only just picking up?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #19
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just a thought, but could the reason for so many parameters/modules (including many that seem to have nothing to do with the sound system) being changed when I initially did "Process Car > Code Car" after adding $676 to my VO be because I'm using the latest daten files, and BMW made changes to various parameters in the years between my car being built and my daten being released that I'm only just picking up?
That is a possibility. Just little updates along the way that you may have missed.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #20
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Okay, I’ll give this a go, probably tomorrow evening, and report back, cheers
...and how'd it go?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 03:13 AM   #21
spud8385
Rep

I didn't get round to it this weekend - we had crazy good weather in the UK and the other half had me dragging the kids around all weekend! I've got a pair of Logic 7s arriving this week and some free time Friday/Saturday so going to chuck them in and then try to sort out the coding.

One thing I did have time to do was pull the passenger door card to check the mid-range and see if it was blown which was causing the buzzing. Turns out no, it's in perfect condition. Ran some music while just holding the door card free from the door, and the buzzing is gone, so left it playing while I clipped it back into the door and as soon as it was tight it started up again. So sounds like something is vibrating in there rather than a speaker issue (although as the door card has to be tight to the door for it to appear there's no way to see!). I have a feeling it might be the extra cables connecting to the Alpine crossover/tweeter dangling around in there, will go back in this weekend and try and tape some stuff up.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #22
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d

Quote:
I didn't get round to it this weekend - we had crazy good weather in the UK and the other half had me dragging the kids around all weekend! I've got a pair of Logic 7s arriving this week and some free time Friday/Saturday so going to chuck them in and then try to sort out the coding.

One thing I did have time to do was pull the passenger door card to check the mid-range and see if it was blown which was causing the buzzing. Turns out no, it's in perfect condition. Ran some music while just holding the door card free from the door, and the buzzing is gone, so left it playing while I clipped it back into the door and as soon as it was tight it started up again. So sounds like something is vibrating in there rather than a speaker issue (although as the door card has to be tight to the door for it to appear there's no way to see!). I have a feeling it might be the extra cables connecting to the Alpine crossover/tweeter dangling around in there, will go back in this weekend and try and tape some stuff up.
Did you sort the buzzing out ?, I have also had a buzzing only on certain tracks from the passenger mid range speaker, I was wondering if the speaker was blown but it only happens now and again, I think I have the same issue.

How did you sort it?

Cheers

Last edited by Bmw330; 07-19-2019 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0