E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oddball question: Bearings in carry-on luggage?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
e90yyc
Art Collector
e90yyc's Avatar
487
Rep
1,208
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Oddball question: Bearings in carry-on luggage?

I've had a couple small bearings (6202 and 6303) and a slip ring (for alternator rebuild) shipped to my aunt in Oregon who will be visiting in a couple weeks.

Is there any reason to expect a hassle from airport security for having the bearings in carry-on luggage? I realize this is an impossible question to answer definitively—it'll likely depend on the mood of the agent more than anything else—but I wanted to get some opinions before having her bring them up.

I don't foresee any issue with the slip ring: it's a piece of plastic with some copper rings; but the bearings have grease inside of them ("liquid" ), not to mention the word "bearing" could evoke association with some of ball bearings' more malevolent uses.

Having the company ship directly to me in Canada was prohibitively expensive, but if the consensus is that there's a good chance she'll be asked to throw them out, then I'll have her mail them up to me.

Thanks!

__________________
When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5706
Rep
13,616
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Look like bomb components to me 😂

I'd just mail them.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Nickco43
Major
Nickco43's Avatar
739
Rep
1,329
Posts

Drives: 06 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
I've had a couple small bearings (6202 and 6303) and a slip ring (for alternator rebuild) shipped to my aunt in Oregon who will be visiting in a couple weeks.

Is there any reason to expect a hassle from airport security for having the bearings in carry-on luggage? I realize this is an impossible question to answer definitively—it'll likely depend on the mood of the agent more than anything else—but I wanted to get some opinions before having her bring them up.

I don't foresee any issue with the slip ring: it's a piece of plastic with some copper rings; but the bearings have grease inside of them ("liquid" ), not to mention the word "bearing" could evoke association with some of ball bearings' more malevolent uses.

Having the company ship directly to me in Canada was prohibitively expensive, but if the consensus is that there's a good chance she'll be asked to throw them out, then I'll have her mail them up to me.

Thanks!


I have flown with headlights and CIC parts before. I just take everything out when I am at security with little issue. Granted this was with the Philadelphia TSA and they do not care at all. Most trips I go on I bring a jumbo toothpaste that always gets confiscated on the way back. I never get harassed about it at Philadelphia.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
e90yyc
Art Collector
e90yyc's Avatar
487
Rep
1,208
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Look like bomb components to me 😂

I'd just mail them.
LOL my thoughts exactly...
__________________
When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
e90yyc
Art Collector
e90yyc's Avatar
487
Rep
1,208
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I have flown with headlights and CIC parts before. I just take everything out when I am at security with little issue. Granted this was with the Philadelphia TSA and they do not care at all. Most trips I go on I bring a jumbo toothpaste that always gets confiscated on the way back. I never get harassed about it at Philadelphia.
Thanks for the input!

Currently on the fence. If it weren't for the "ball bearing" aspect of it, I'd think nothing of it. I could instruct her to just refer to them as car parts, but I'd be pretty chapped if they made her throw them out...
__________________
When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
e90yyc
Art Collector
e90yyc's Avatar
487
Rep
1,208
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

This makes me think it should be okay... At least I'm hoping.

You know: there's no better way to get your way with TSA than to refer the intervening agent to a "Travel Tips Tuesday" bulletin.... err, briefing...

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/06/18/...-vehicle-parts
__________________
When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
Appreciate 1
AoS81069.50

      07-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Explorerlyon
Private
60
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: Porsche 986 Acura TL-SHAWD BMW
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

My son just got on an airplane with his longboard (skateboard). That has bearings like your picture. I do not know why bearings would be any issue in a carry on.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #8
e90yyc
Art Collector
e90yyc's Avatar
487
Rep
1,208
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerlyon View Post
My son just got on an airplane with his longboard (skateboard). That has bearings like your picture. I do not know why bearings would be any issue in a carry on.
Agree 100%, but the TSA is not governed by reason...
__________________
When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #9
Emilime75
Major
541
Rep
1,307
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: X

iTrader: (1)

Have her get to security early enough, that if they give her static, she has time to check the bag?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #10
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
1667
Rep
3,421
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cary, NC

iTrader: (0)

It's fine. They have a 95% failure rate of catching anything.
Appreciate 1
Bobh5915.00

      07-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #11
krhodes1
Lieutenant Colonel
323
Rep
1,599
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i Wagon
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westbrook, Maine, Port Charlotte, Florida

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I have carried FAR stranger things, mostly computer bits and bobs, through airport security with no issues. Though the thing that got the most scrutiny was a small box of N-scale model railroad track and switches! No problem getting it in, but they dug it out of my luggage and wanted to know what it was. Must have looked really odd on the X-ray screen.

I doubt they will even notice some small bearings.
__________________
'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
also '18 FIAT 124 Spider Lusso, '17 VW GTI Sport, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '91 Volvo 940GLE 16V, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
Ozzie335i
Major
United_States
467
Rep
1,246
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: DFW

iTrader: (1)

At some airports there is a place by security where you can mail stuff to yourself that you are not allowed to carry on. This would include stuff such as C4 and long knives.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
e90yyc
Art Collector
e90yyc's Avatar
487
Rep
1,208
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
I have carried FAR stranger things, mostly computer bits and bobs, through airport security with no issues. Though the thing that got the most scrutiny was a small box of N-scale model railroad track and switches! No problem getting it in, but they dug it out of my luggage and wanted to know what it was. Must have looked really odd on the X-ray screen.

I doubt they will even notice some small bearings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
At some airports there is a place by security where you can mail stuff to yourself that you are not allowed to carry on. This would include stuff such as C4 and long knives.
Thanks for the input guys!

I did a bit more digging and TSA says car parts are fine. They'll be in original boxes too.

My GF and I once brought a hefty, solid glass art piece back from Hawaii. I caught a glimpse of the x-ray screen: it was just a big, ominous black blob. Needless to say we had to take it out.

I'll remind her to mail my alibaba sword and C4!
__________________
When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #14
JM98
First Lieutenant
188
Rep
366
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I took a differential in carry on without issue - just had to make sure it was drained
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #15
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5706
Rep
13,616
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
I took a differential in carry on without issue - just had to make sure it was drained
Hummm....
Appreciate 1
JM98188.00

      07-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #16
e90yyc
Art Collector
e90yyc's Avatar
487
Rep
1,208
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Hummm....
One dead after differential falls from overhead bin, striking passenger on the head.

- New York Times
__________________
When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
Appreciate 1
JM98188.00

      07-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #17
JM98
First Lieutenant
188
Rep
366
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
One dead after differential falls from overhead bin, striking passenger on the head.

- New York Times
I didn't think of it that way, probably irresponsible on my part looking back at it (I was in my early 20s). TSA didn't even look in the suitcase.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #18
krhodes1
Lieutenant Colonel
323
Rep
1,599
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i Wagon
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westbrook, Maine, Port Charlotte, Florida

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
At some airports there is a place by security where you can mail stuff to yourself that you are not allowed to carry on. This would include stuff such as C4 and long knives.
Some airports have a display of the stuff that people tried to carry on, couldn't, and left behind. One airport (ATL, maybe?) had a weedwhacker in among all the knives and swords!
__________________
'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
also '18 FIAT 124 Spider Lusso, '17 VW GTI Sport, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '91 Volvo 940GLE 16V, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 12:03 AM   #19
MightyMouseTech
Major General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
3478
Rep
5,467
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

They are just bearings, why would TSA even give a rats ass about them?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #20
dmatre
Lieutenant
United_States
126
Rep
495
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Carolinas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
They are just bearings, why would TSA even give a rats ass about them?
Because as soon as you let someone carry on bearings, others will want to carry nail clippers. Can't have that.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #21
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5706
Rep
13,616
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
They are just bearings, why would TSA even give a rats ass about them?
Bomb projectiles....?
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #22
MightyMouseTech
Major General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
3478
Rep
5,467
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
They are just bearings, why would TSA even give a rats ass about them?
Because as soon as you let someone carry on bearings, others will want to carry nail clippers. Can't have that.


Just don't do what I did, and forget you had your pocket knife with a 6" blade, and a corkscrew, in your carry on. They don't have a sense of humour about that.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST