E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Partial CIC retrofit from non iDrive

05-04-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
Xradeon
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93 2009

Partial CIC retrofit from non iDrive

So I want to partially retrofit CIC to my 2009 E93. All I want is to have the OEM CIC dashboard and a functional CarPlay installation.

These are the parts I have in mind:
  • Double scoop CIC dashboard.
  • Avin 8.8" Multimedia Navigation System for BMW 3 Series E90 E91 E92 E93.
  • CIC head unit.
  • CIC controller.
  • CIC controller cable.
  • CIC controller trim for e93.
  • Climate control bezel/trim.
  • LVDS cable.
  • CIC display cable.
  • GPS antenna.

Currently I have the Top Hi-Fi system. Also I don't mind for OEM navigation (so I just can skip CIC emulator right?), as I'll be using CarPlay only.

Could anyone see any issues of retrofitting CIC this way or any other part that I'll need for the install?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=idrive

Not sure but I think the NBT evo has Carplay.

https://bimmerretrofit.com/store/

Last edited by ctuna; 05-07-2020 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
Xradeon
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93 2009

Thanks ctuna

The Avin screen is ready for wireless CarPlay using an adapter. So purchasing that one instead of the OEM display should resolve that part.

Sincerely I'm still debating between doing the partial retrofit route or just purchasing the 10.25" multimedia display from AVIN.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
I did a full CIC retrofit, then added carplay and now carplay is all I really use. It is nice to have the factory CIC controller work with the carplay screen. My only issue with the carplay is the quality of the audio output fed to the aux connector. In my case, it lacks bass when compared to the music played back from the combox BT connection.

My carplay system is the one with the box that works with the cic screen. I can switch back to CIC by holding down the menu button on the cic controller. Newer versions of this system use the combox for audio input which solves the audio quality issues and allows the integration of the factory microphone. My older system requires the addition of an aftermarket mic.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:23 AM   #5
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xradeon View Post
So I want to partially retrofit CIC to my 2009 E93. All I want is to have the OEM CIC dashboard and a functional CarPlay installation.

These are the parts I have in mind:
  • Double scoop CIC dashboard.
  • Avin 8.8" Multimedia Navigation System for BMW 3 Series E90 E91 E92 E93.
  • CIC head unit.
  • CIC controller.
  • CIC controller cable.
  • CIC controller trim for e93.
  • Climate control bezel/trim.
  • LVDS cable.
  • CIC display cable.
  • GPS antenna.

Currently I have the Top Hi-Fi system. Also I don't mind for OEM navigation (so I just can skip CIC emulator right?), as I'll be using CarPlay only.

Could anyone see any issues of retrofitting CIC this way or any other part that I'll need for the install?
Same thing I'm about to do to mine. I already have the Android screen.... oh mine is an e89 Z4, but it's the same components... but I want the onboard functionality of the iDrive system.
I have considered fitting the combox and bluetooth but as I don't have ICOM to program it (I'm told you can't set it up with NCSExpert etc!!) I've decided that as I have Bluetooth capability built into the Android screen I can dispense with that. I would get the emulator just so I can have the back-up of the iDrive nav.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Same thing I'm about to do to mine. I already have the Android screen.... oh mine is an e89 Z4, but it's the same components... but I want the onboard functionality of the iDrive system.
I have considered fitting the combox and bluetooth but as I don't have ICOM to program it (I'm told you can't set it up with NCSExpert etc!!) I've decided that as I have Bluetooth capability built into the Android screen I can dispense with that. I would get the emulator just so I can have the back-up of the iDrive nav.
If you get carplay or android you probably won't need a backup camera emulator. My carplay has a backup camera input and switches the screen to backup camera when reverse is selected. It even has the dynamic lines that move when the steering wheel is turned. And the backup camera image is full screen rather than a smaller box.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
infinite_creations25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

interested in possibly doing this as well
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 01:48 AM   #8
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
If you get carplay or android you probably won't need a backup camera emulator. My carplay has a backup camera input and switches the screen to backup camera when reverse is selected. It even has the dynamic lines that move when the steering wheel is turned. And the backup camera image is full screen rather than a smaller box.
Sorry when I said "I would get the emulator just so I can have the back-up of the iDrive nav." I didn't mean the back-up camera, I meant the emulator just for the Nav and have that as a 'back up' to my Nav on the Android. Yes I already have the back up camera (reversing camera as we call it) set up with my Android screen.

I've also decided to change how I'm going to do this, as I'm lead to believe that if I fit a MULF2 unit, with the Bluetooth receiver, and with a little bit of coding by NCSExpert I will have Bluetooth calling facility (I don't need music streaming via Bluetooth as I have Android Auto). Can anyone confirm this? I won't need ICOM??

Thanks

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0