E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Windows and Turn Signals not working on 2011 328i

07-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
Dimaskeleton
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328i xdrive

Exclamation Windows and Turn Signals not working on 2011 328i

Yesterday I replace the valve cover gasket on my 2011 328i but now the turn signals, windows and lights aren't working with a car on a stand warning sign in the dash. All I did was disconnect the negative battery terminal so its safe to work on. Could this be the footwell module as I saw online or am I missing a connecter since I doubt that disconnecting the negative terminal is enough to fry it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #2
MTL_E90er
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 323i

These FRM modules are pretty fragile, you can fry them really easily even if you're as careful as you could possibly be.

I'm guessing your headlamps aren't working either.
It definitely is your FRM module, I am 99% sure.

Had mine fry last winter when battery died, all symptoms were the same with the same red car on stand warning on the dash.

I sourced one from a local car in a junkyard, went and got it and was lucky enough to just swap it without coding it so that my lights/signals at least worked. I then shipped my FRM3 module to a guy on Ebay that un-bricked it for me and shipped it back for a fraction of the cost of an Indy.

Best of luck to you and feel free to reach out if you need help with this!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaskeleton View Post
Yesterday I replace the valve cover gasket on my 2011 328i but now the turn signals, windows and lights aren't working with a car on a stand warning sign in the dash. All I did was disconnect the negative battery terminal so its safe to work on. Could this be the footwell module as I saw online or am I missing a connecter since I doubt that disconnecting the negative terminal is enough to fry it.
I think there is some sort of extended warranty with FRMs in your country.

Found this thread about it. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...t=Frm+warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 10:07 PM   #4
Ferdi_bimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
The car on stand light is just telling you the car needs service and shouldn't actually affect the car, mine has been on even after service with no problems. Try disconnecting the negative terminal again leave it off for an hour and reconnect it again. You would have way more problems and dash lights if the frm was fried.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 06:16 AM   #5
Dimaskeleton
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL_E90er View Post
These FRM modules are pretty fragile, you can fry them really easily even if you're as careful as you could possibly be.

I'm guessing your headlamps aren't working either.
It definitely is your FRM module, I am 99% sure.

Had mine fry last winter when battery died, all symptoms were the same with the same red car on stand warning on the dash.

I sourced one from a local car in a junkyard, went and got it and was lucky enough to just swap it without coding it so that my lights/signals at least worked. I then shipped my FRM3 module to a guy on Ebay that un-bricked it for me and shipped it back for a fraction of the cost of an Indy.

Best of luck to you and feel free to reach out if you need help with this!
There's some basic head lights and tail lights on I think its the daytime running lights but I cant change it and none of the others work like high beams, fog lights, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd say you fried the FRM module.

If it was an FRM 2, upgrade to an FRM 3.

You can probably get a used FRM 3 module on eBay for 1/2 of the cost of a new one.

Plenty of DIY's on this forum. You will need to code the CAS VO to the New FRM module. Thus, you will need bimmer geeks, or ISTA P on hand w/ good battery maintainer. 30amp to be safe.

Go to the bottom of this post

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1705862
Appreciate 0