E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > blueh88 Build Thread!

04-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #67
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Hi Mate!

Ahh that's cool so we have the same engines! I personally don't believe you'll have much issues with the transmission. For a start, I've spoke to quite a few people who have tuned their 6hp26 transmission and it's always the same reply that its coping fine (I'd imagine like anything, the extra power may shorten the life) but never heard if a failed transmission. And yeah, I get where your coming from it would be so easy to drop the 330D in for something already running the desired power like a 335D but it's also fun to bring out this beasts potential! Not to mention, like "BMW Power" said, why have 2 turbos when you can have one big one and one less turbo to worry about Haha.

Mines very close to going back on the road now, I'm going to remove the rear driveshafts and replace those stupid reluctor rings and attempt the sand and re-spray the section of the axle to prevent the rust from occurring again. I'm also planning on buying the latest set of Diagnostic tools but was so gutted to hear Ista+ dropped programming for the E series, you have to use ISTA P for that now

Hows yours coming along? Cant wait to see the performance of yours with everything done. Have you flashed the TCU with xHPFlashtool? I'm servicing the transmission in a few days and might consider sticking a stage 2 on
Yup exactly.

What you using as a daily whilst this is off the road, out of curiosity? Do you mean the rings part of the ABS assembly? I've had the fault codes randomly pop up too but on an engine restart, the fault clears. It's only ever happened like, 4 times over the last 3 years so not bothered too much. Is it an easy fix though?

Ah no way regarding the software. I've never tried any laptop specific software yet, just Carly on my phone.

The vac pump/loose head cover bolt is due to be fixed on the 16th then 17th i'm taking a trip to Birds for the LSD.

Yup, I am currently running xHP stage 3 and man, what a difference it has made! I think it I was more impressed with this than the ECU remap! The difference between D and S is immense. You cannot drive in S normally. You have to be "on it". Otherwise D is optimised enough to make smooth progress much better than stock. Honestly cannot recommend it enough. If you have an android phone and cable, it is worth taking the time to do it yourself rather than having a third party do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #68
Bezzer
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320 d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Yup exactly.

Do you mean the rings part of the ABS assembly? I've had the fault codes randomly pop up too but on an engine restart, the fault clears. It's only ever happened like, 4 times over the last 3 years so not bothered too much. Is it an easy fix though?
I had the ABS sensor flashing up amber Runflat indicator and DBC warning lights due to a rusty reluctor brushing the sensor, but only on a long run >40 miles and it always cleared upon restarting engine. Replaced, rear offside driveshaft and (touch wood) it's been fine this weekend after a 300 mile run down south.
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      04-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #69
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Whilst I'm waiting for the mechanical bits to be done, I've gotten bored of the carbon vinyl interior trim. So I've purchased some brushed steel vinyl for a change!

work in progress...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Silnismo225.50
      04-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #70
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

I also got my wheels redone in shadow chrome...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Silnismo225.50
      04-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #71
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

First trim bit done!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Silnismo225.50
      04-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #72
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
First trim bit done!
Wow that actually looks pretty interesting, I've got the carbon on at the moment and quite like it but this is different to what you normally see, be great to see it all done and in the car
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      04-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #73
Silnismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Trim looking good!
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      04-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #74
stampylove
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325d lci 2010

Quote:
First trim bit done!
wondered what trim piece that was in the first pic!

Nicely done mate.
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      04-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #75
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampylove View Post
Quote:
First trim bit done!
wondered what trim piece that was in the first pic!

Nicely done mate.
Haha yeah it isn't the most obvious!

Cheers!

Still not done the rest yet!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #76
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yup exactly.

What you using as a daily whilst this is off the road, out of curiosity? Do you mean the rings part of the ABS assembly? I've had the fault codes randomly pop up too but on an engine restart, the fault clears. It's only ever happened like, 4 times over the last 3 years so not bothered too much. Is it an easy fix though?

Ah no way regarding the software. I've never tried any laptop specific software yet, just Carly on my phone.

The vac pump/loose head cover bolt is due to be fixed on the 16th then 17th i'm taking a trip to Birds for the LSD.

Yup, I am currently running xHP stage 3 and man, what a difference it has made! I think it I was more impressed with this than the ECU remap! The difference between D and S is immense. You cannot drive in S normally. You have to be "on it". Otherwise D is optimised enough to make smooth progress much better than stock. Honestly cannot recommend it enough. If you have an android phone and cable, it is worth taking the time to do it yourself rather than having a third party do it.
Wow that's great to know about the xHPFlash! I was going to buy stage 2 but now I'm considering stage 3 lol. And I haven't been able to drive anything in the mean time so lots of walking for 15 months (good for the weight loss I suppose)

Took the car for MOT yesterday then straight to Chemix for a 4 wheel alignment but either the arms, hub or sub frame is bent as the toe is way out and the toe is already at max. So it's back on an axle stand and I've got to grind the toe arm bolt off as the bolt pretty much welds itself to the toe Bush sleeve and acts as one so it's near impossible to knock through lol. Other than that the car drove great and I didn't notice any smoke driving so maybe the loo roll style filter in the breather is working well! I suppose I'll only know for sure when I get an oil and filter change and monitor from their. Lots of work to do so I've got till Thursday to replace all rear arms and hub and replace or fix the reluctor ring oh any my fuel economy was showing like 12MPG lmao.. ever since owning this car the best I've had is 22mpg but I'm certain the lambda sensor always had a fault so im assuming without that reading properly it defaults to running rich so im going to buy one of them if carly shows it still as a fault.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #77
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
put some pics of drive shafts and reluctor rings please
My reluctor ring is A+ Pristine, cant see why the ABS Sensor is struggling reading the notches

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 12:49 AM   #78
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
My reluctor ring is A+ Pristine, cant see why the ABS Sensor is struggling reading the notches

View post on imgur.com
where is it? i assume iys the one with the ring inside the shaft,,ie magnetic pickup,these cars with differing ring setup does my head in,,last year i had some rubber washers ready to go under my abs sensor to create a gap(read up on it) only for the indy who i use to say"it aint got rings its got magnetic pick up " they only looked at the vcar from underneath without removing sensor or anything...but i swear i ahve the old set up reluctor ring as all ive read leads to this,,im yet to remove sensor,,as sometimes theyare a pig to get out,,li destroyed one getting one out my old e46,,i was replacing it so didnt matter.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 04:26 AM   #79
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
where is it? i assume iys the one with the ring inside the shaft,,ie magnetic pickup,these cars with differing ring setup does my head in,,last year i had some rubber washers ready to go under my abs sensor to create a gap(read up on it) only for the indy who i use to say"it aint got rings its got magnetic pick up " they only looked at the vcar from underneath without removing sensor or anything...but i swear i ahve the old set up reluctor ring as all ive read leads to this,,im yet to remove sensor,,as sometimes theyare a pig to get out,,li destroyed one getting one out my old e46,,i was replacing it so didnt matter.
Haha, sorry mate I was trying to be funny. The reluctor ring is actually completely missing! I'm not sure if you can zoome in enough but you can actually see very slightly in the rust where the reluctor ring used to sit and can see slight shading differences from where the slits would be. I've sanded the driveshaft down and a reluctor ring is being posted today by Amazon. You know, its interesting that when I purchased the car and took it back as the cruise control never worked he said he wouldn't replace as its "general wear and tear" but more to the point when I said "yeah it has a reluctor ring that can rust doesn't it, and then the sensor cant read it" which to be fair is the norm for these reluctor rings, and he said "yeah or they can snap off" and I now think isn't it ironic that he said that and the ring has snapped off :/ ahh well if it wasn't for the faults on this car I'd never have known as much as I do now.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #80
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Got my car back on Friday. The vac pump was removed, along with the head cover to try and remedy the loose bolt. It had sheared! So it was removed, helicoiled, new cover gasket and back on securely. At the same time, the EGR cooler was removed and blanked at the exhaust properly (I was meaning to do this for a long time as the EGR was already blanked a long time ago).

So far, it does seem to have cured that leak. I haven't had chance to clean up the oil residue from previously, but there doesn't seem to be any fresh "wet" oil coming out over the weekend. Just the old residue.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #81
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Got my car back on Friday. The vac pump was removed, along with the head cover to try and remedy the loose bolt. It had sheared! So it was removed, helicoiled, new cover gasket and back on securely. At the same time, the EGR cooler was removed and blanked at the exhaust properly (I was meaning to do this for a long time as the EGR was already blanked a long time ago).

So far, it does seem to have cured that leak. I haven't had chance to clean up the oil residue from previously, but there doesn't seem to be any fresh "wet" oil coming out over the weekend. Just the old residue.
Going in the right direction then but you say it doesnt seem to have cured the leak but then you say you cant see any wet oil so wouldn't you say it has cured the leak?

I've sanded and painted the CV Joint ready for the reluctor ring and hub that's coming tomorrow, then off to Chemix to see if it can be tracked, if not it seems the rear subframe is coming off

Last edited by MrSweet1991; 04-23-2019 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: It's a CV joint not a diff lmao
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:06 PM   #82
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Going in the right direction then but you say it doesnt seem to have cured the leak but then you say you cant see any wet oil so wouldn't you say it has cured the leak?

I've sanded and painted the CV Joint ready for the reluctor ring and hub that's coming tomorrow, then off to Chemix to see if it can be tracked, if not it seems the rear subframe is coming off

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
I said it DOES seem to have cured the leak so yeah defo in the right direction! Not had chance to drive it much and won't until next week now.

Cool! Good luck with it man!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #83
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I said it DOES seem to have cured the leak so yeah defo in the right direction! Not had chance to drive it much and won't until next week now.

Cool! Good luck with it man!
Hi mate,

Been ages, so I was wondering how the cars coming along? Mines back on the road finally! And I also wanted to check, have you ever reset your MPG and seen what it does just off of the computer calculations? Mine is well and truly catastrophic, town driving 20mpg Sunday driving up and down a dual carriageway with a steady foot no traffic I peaked 32mpg, if I even think about accelerating the damn thing drops

59mph on the motorway 37mpg ish, its just crazy. On a plus note though, I've done around.. 250/300 miles with the loo roll filter and fingers crossed my oil level is still at max which is amazing! I'd use 800ml/1 litre of oil every 1000 miles or so so its looking great at the moment
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 03:24 AM   #84
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Hi mate,

Been ages, so I was wondering how the cars coming along? Mines back on the road finally! And I also wanted to check, have you ever reset your MPG and seen what it does just off of the computer calculations? Mine is well and truly catastrophic, town driving 20mpg Sunday driving up and down a dual carriageway with a steady foot no traffic I peaked 32mpg, if I even think about accelerating the damn thing drops

59mph on the motorway 37mpg ish, its just crazy. On a plus note though, I've done around.. 250/300 miles with the loo roll filter and fingers crossed my oil level is still at max which is amazing! I'd use 800ml/1 litre of oil every 1000 miles or so so its looking great at the moment
what mpg are you getting versus fuel put in ?,,obc trip are useless unles you reset it to what you think you get mpg wise,,i reset my 330d to around 43 mpg,,and thats a fair assessment,,my 335d is quite accurate so didnt need reset via the obc/stalk
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 03:40 AM   #85
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi mate,

Hey dude,

Apologies, I haven't updated in a while!!

Well, the main oil leak is well and truly fixed! It was definitely the vac pump/loose head cover bolt. No more drips on the drive, but some oil still passing through the turbo.

With regards to mpg, my daily commute is really bad start/stop kind of driving, so I don't get past 27ish mpg off the computer. I have literally just done a long motorway journey and I was touching 49mpg on the computer. Yours definitely sounds very low! Hey, that's good though that you have sorted the oil consumption out!

I am currently sat in Birds waiting for my LSD to be fitted!! Very excited.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 05:21 AM   #86
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hey dude,

Apologies, I haven't updated in a while!!

Well, the main oil leak is well and truly fixed! It was definitely the vac pump/loose head cover bolt. No more drips on the drive, but some oil still passing through the turbo.

With regards to mpg, my daily commute is really bad start/stop kind of driving, so I don't get past 27ish mpg off the computer. I have literally just done a long motorway journey and I was touching 49mpg on the computer. Yours definitely sounds very low! Hey, that's good though that you have sorted the oil consumption out!

I am currently sat in Birds waiting for my LSD to be fitted!! Very excited.
Yep, I really need to crack down on this fuel economy but knowing you can achieve 27MPG start stop means I'm around 7/9 lower! And wow! You'll have to let us know how the car is with the LSD.. I've heard such great things about it!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #87
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

LSD

Well. Quaife LSD installed. This has got to be one of the best mods I have ever done.

Still only first impressions yet but wow what an impression! The increased traction now is really addictive. That's with the traction control fully off, i.e. button held for a few seconds. There is so much more control through the corners now and I have much more confidence in the handling.

I will assume these improvements can only be amplified in wet conditions! So looking forward to seeing what it's like on the next rainy day! Hang on, that's today!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #88
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well. Quaife LSD installed. This has got to be one of the best mods I have ever done.

Still only first impressions yet but wow what an impression! The increased traction now is really addictive. That's with the traction control fully off, i.e. button held for a few seconds. There is so much more control through the corners now and I have much more confidence in the handling.

I will assume these improvements can only be amplified in wet conditions! So looking forward to seeing what it's like on the next rainy day! Hang on, that's today!
Wow I seriously wasn't expecting such a good experience truth be told I suppose until you've had one you wouldn't really understand what your missing out on.. other than it's clearly great so, if I'm not mistaken the power increases alone from running without the DSC must be pretty amazing, I mean I've heard that does kick in quite often when cornering whereas your LSD is just putting down power all the time. And yeah the rain test will be amazing, I've had the back end out a few times going round an island with a little throttle increase and it can be pretty scary so it will be interesting to see how the LSD affects that. Well enjoy anyway and report back when you can
Appreciate 0