E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > **NEW** - Birds Bespoke Suspension Kit

06-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Birds BMW
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Birds Tuning & Quaife LSD

Talking **NEW** - Birds Bespoke Suspension Kit

We would like to announce that our long-awaited bespoke suspension system for E9x 3 Series BMW is now available

As many of you will already know from Tony (E92Fan) we have for more than a year been developing a complete bespoke suspension system based on the well-established Bilstein Sport Damper. This suspension has been designed on our own E92 335i and has been setup to provide a very supple, controlled and well-damped ride on the UK's very particular B-roads. The new suspension transforms any 3 Series, regardless of engine size, into a ferocious cross-country car as you can maintain quite extraordinary progress without fear of the car being upset by mid-corner ruts and bumps. No longer do you have to grit your teeth and drive as though you were on a slalom course to avoid average-sized potholes. The risk of cracking wheels is also reduced as now the car will absorb bumps with aplomb as opposed to smacking through them with back-breaking force

The new suspension kit forms part of a complete upgrade to the handling-aspect of the 3 Series. The complete upgrade consists of the new suspension system, a Quaife Limited Slip Differential, upgraded rear subframe bushes, upgraded anti-roll bars and a change to non-runflat tyres. With the complete upgrade, the handling of the 3 Series can only be described as sublime, with masses of feel, controllability and balance. The 3 Series becomes a car that can be driven properly on the throttle, rewarding the most discerning and demanding of drivers, whilst at the same time offering a cushioned and supple ride without the back-breaking harshness of a regular car

The suspension is a fixed rate damper and spring combination and is a direct replacement for the OEM system. It can be installed on its own, on regular 3 Series models without the other upgrades. However we strongly recommend that at the same time as the installation of the suspension, the rear anti roll bar is upgraded to our bespoke and much stiffer 20mm version. The standard rear anti roll bar on a M-Sport 3 Series is only 13mm by comparison!! This single upgrade brings a much improved balance to the handling and works in harmony with our new suspension to key the rear axle into the tarmac properly

The new suspension kit slightly lowers the 3 Series to give improved cornering and a more purposeful stance. On SE models with non M-Sport suspension, the car will be lowered by approximately 30mm at the front and 25mm at the rear. For M-Sport models, the lowering effect will be approximately 15mm at the front and 10mm at the rear.

• Complete bespoke suspension system for E9x 3 Series
  • Fixed rate damper and spring combination
  • Front lowering 30mm from SE, 15mm from M-Sport
  • Rear lowering 25mm from SE, 10mm from M-Sport
  • Designed specifically for UK roads
  • Provides a supremely supple, cushioned ride combined with excellent damping and control
  • Transforms the E9x 3 Series into a true cross-country machine

** We are offering special pricing for the first 10 kits sold **

The pricing shown below is already discounted to reflect this, but we are also offering a further discount to registered, active, forum members

• Suspension Kit, parts only - Retail - £1,193.32 + VAT
  • Suspension Kit, installed - Retail - £1,490.89 + VAT
  • Suspension Kit, installed - REGISTERED, ACTIVE, FORUM MEMBERS - £1,371.56 + VAT
  • Rear Anti Roll Bar, parts only - Retail - £277 + VAT
  • Rear Anti Roll Bar, installed with suspension - Retail - £409.50 + VAT
  • Rear Anti Roll Bar, installed with suspension - REGISTERED, ACTIVE, FORUM MEMBERS - £381.80 + VAT
    [/B]

To complete the rest of the package as reviewed by BMW CAR Magazine, please note the following items and prices -
  • Quaife LSD (Bolted), parts only - Retail - £890 + VAT
  • Quaife LSD (Bolted), installed - Retail - £1,160 + VAT
  • Quaife LSD (Welded), parts only - Retail - £1,364 + VAT
  • Quaife LSD (Welded), installed - Retail - £1,638 + VAT
  • Complete Front & Rear Anti Roll Bar Kit, parts only - Retail - £434 + VAT
  • Complete Front & Rear Anti Roll Bar Kit, installed - Retail - £663 + VAT
  • Rear Subframe Bushes, parts only - Retail - £173 + VAT
  • Rear Subframe Bushes, installed - Retail - £516 + VAT

• The full Birds B3-3.5 Dynamics Package is available at a considerable saving over the individual parts prices.
  • The Dynamics Package comprises of a Quaife LSD, complete front and rear anti roll bars, the new bespoke suspension and upgraded rear subframe bushes.
  • The Dynamics Package is available for £3,398 + VAT installed with a bolted-style Quaife LSD, or for £3,853 + VAT installed with a welded-style Quaife LSD

BMW CAR Magazine has just published it's full four page review of our car with the new suspension and have declared it an absolute success. A copy of the review is shown below for your reference

For more information on this new suspension kit, and to register your interest, please contact us through our website - www.birdsauto.com

Alternatively, feel free to contact Tony (E92Fan) via the forum's PM sytem

Name:  Pg1.jpg
Views: 5580
Size:  200.8 KB

Name:  Pg2.jpg
Views: 7106
Size:  143.7 KB

Name:  Pg3.jpg
Views: 9681
Size:  234.2 KB

Name:  Pg4.jpg
Views: 5681
Size:  215.7 KB

Name:  Pg5.jpg
Views: 5784
Size:  233.5 KB

Last edited by Birds BMW; 06-29-2010 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
E92BSM10
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-Sport Highline

like the 335i with quad pipes
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Awesome work Kevin, you deserve all of your success, well done.

Now to sell one of the kids and make with the tuning...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Mike Turbo
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thumbs up

Sounds good: 'supremely supple, cushioned ride combined with excellent damping and control, true cross-country machine', just how I would like the car to be, I will have the Suspension Kit, Anti Roll Bar and the Quaife Limited Slip Differential as soon as I have enough cash available.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #5
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

The E9x's performance capabilities have been hamstrung by its suspension & RFT combo since day one and as a well known tyre maker used to say - 'Power is Nothing Without Control'!!

This suspension kit sounds like the perfect balance of a supple ride, good body control and more reliable (goes where you point it) handling. I already have the Quaife diff (which is truly excellent) and the BMW BBK but would very much like to upgrade to this suspension set-up as soon as funds allow.

Congrats on a job well done

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..

Last edited by Mark II; 06-28-2010 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Note - The original post has now been updated with pricing for the other components that make up the B3-3.5 Dynamics Package
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI Mk7.5

Out of interest, how long does the full B3-3.5 package take to install?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblee View Post
Out of interest, how long does the full B3-3.5 package take to install?
Pretty much two full days...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 04:15 AM   #9
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Great work Kevin & Tony. An excellent addition to the 335i IMO.

I had the pleasure of driving as a passenger in Kevin's car for some time several weeks ago, and can confirm the article's statement - a great combination of fantastic handling yet maintaining an excellent ride quality. The car should have come like that from the factory.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      06-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #10
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Great work Kevin & Tony. An excellent addition to the 335i IMO.

I had the pleasure of driving as a passenger in Kevin's car for some time several weeks ago, and can confirm the article's statement - a great combination of fantastic handling yet maintaining an excellent ride quality. The car should have come like that from the factory.

Alpina_B3_Lux
Ah yes I forgot you've already experienced the new setup! The thing to note is that the Dynamic Package is suitable for all engine variants...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
Birds BMW
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Birds Tuning & Quaife LSD

Gentlemen, there are only four B3-3.5 suspension kits remaining from the ten sets allocated at the forum offer price. If you're considering this conversion, then either PM us, or respond through our website stating your forum name, please.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
can confirm the article's statement - a great combination of fantastic handling yet maintaining an excellent ride quality.

The car should have come like that from the factory.
They do.

It's called the M3 E92.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #13
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
They do.

It's called the M3 E92.

Yes, but the M3 is too slow for me.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      07-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but the M3 is too slow for me.

Alpina_B3_Lux
me too!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

WOW.. wish I could afford that!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #16
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

One more sleep to go

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #17
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

na na ne na na.....

Mine's been delivered yesterday.... just go to get the damn thing fitted..

Roll on next week.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #18
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
na na ne na na.....

Mine's been delivered yesterday.... just go to get the damn thing fitted..

Roll on next week.
A few more sleeps to go for you then my friend
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #19
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post
One more sleep to go

That was on the 23rd Yves, it's now the 28th and ...........................?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Its sooo good he hasn't got out of the car for 5 straight days....
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #21
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep

Suspension upgrade - Interim report

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Its sooo good he hasn't got out of the car for 5 straight days....
Heh, Heh, like your style

So, by popular demand......

Lets start with the Quaife cos you all know something about that already.

Basically, its everything its cracked up to be, fantastic bit of kit. No more nervously waiting for the car to settle and start to straighten up coming out of a bend, just sniff the apex and boot it!

Rear traction is fantastic, in the dry at least, the tyres will take pretty much everything the motor can throw at them without hopelessly spinning one wheel and upsetting the whole plot.

Drive seems to be more instant than before, and more 'balanced' if that makes sense?

Nothing else needs saying really, its great.

Now onto the Birds package. Consider this as an interim report as I'm on my old 18's and Flintstone tyres currently having taken the Alufelgens off in anticipation of selling the Vreds and upgrading to the latest must have tyre, Conti 5P. Yes, I know I'm mad!

So, the road interface is conducted through a very heavy and unyielding wheel and tyre package.

Quick to Kevin Bird and Dennis for looking after me and the car during the install. Excellent service, thoroughly recommended to you all.

Now, remember I've got Fred Flintstones wheels on, the ride is firm, no less firm I think than the M Sport set up. The big difference however is that its so much more controlled. Very well damped, the springs are never out of control.

Pootling about, the main impression is of a firmly sprung but well damped set up. As the BMW Car magazine said, its no limo ride but heh, thats not what we are after is it.

Body roll is naturally reduced and the composure on the brakes is miles better with much less dive initially and good control as the nose rises again off the brakes.

The biggest improvement for me to date is the high speed control, say 70mph onwards where traffic condition and road laws permit.

I had quite a long journey down to Birds nearly all on the A1 which has some horrible surfaces, crests, dips, corners etc when running in stock trim. Im reasonably familiar with this road ( in both directions ) and have been able to mentally log where the worst bits are.

The stock set up slapped and banged and lurched and winded me on ocassion as I hit some depression followed by the following crest. There were many cringe worthy moments you will all be familiar with. On the way back (different side of the road I know but still littered with appalling surfaces) NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER!

The road hazards were still uncomfortable but not nearly as much as before ( heavy thuds as opposed to spine tingling thwacks) and the point is, the car is under control all the time, its not trying to fly off into the scenery like a drunk Kangaroo on a pogostick. This gives you a lot of confidence to maintain a good pace and not worry about the road surface too much.

This was only intended to be an interim report so I'll finish by saying that the weak link in the chain is most definately Freds wheel/tyre package. I am confident that when Ive got the Contis on the whole plot will move up another level again.

Nearly there!

Yves

Last edited by YvesD; 07-28-2010 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: this and that
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #22
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Good stuff Yves! ....your car must be very fast now....;-) is it mapped?
Appreciate 0