E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Dealing with dealers on CPO

06-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
jsou
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Dealing with dealers on CPO

I'm in the market for an E92 and was out shopping today. I hit up 3 dealerships in the LA area and most of my starting offers were about 5k under list prices. I tried justifying my research online and asked them what they could do. They all gave me the runaround about how they can't take 5k off the price and they're not making anything back. One didn't bother submitting the offer the other came back 2k under his list price. I guess I have to patient and walk, but I'm ready to buy and want a deal seeing that most are getting quite a bit under list price. Any tips or other experiences you guys can share while dealing with the dealers?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
chemguy
Canada
Rep
Drives: e91

I have similar questions, but the consensus seems to be that you will have the best luck at the end of the month/quarter/year on a car that has been on the lot for a while. Also, if the CPO process was not as intensive (e.g. tires did not have to be replaced), they might be more willing to negotiate since they did not have to invest as much time/money. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

every CPO car is different and dealers are going to tell you they spent a lot of money on this car and not on the other.

My question to them always is, What was wrong with the car that you had to spend so much out of pocket to get it CPO'd?

I would suggest checking the whole sale pricing on Galves, and then calculating up from there as to what is a FAIR price to pay on a CPO. Do a quick search and you will find many threads here in this section of e90post, which suggest how to come up with a right price.

The fact that you are shopping in SoCal makes a lot more options open for you. It can be fun, there is a whole bunch of dealerships to check out, once you find the right car on their lot. I am helping a friend find one, and negotiations are very good in SoCal due to intense competition.

Be patient, and do your homework. You will get a great car
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
boiler123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Clunker

CPO prices depend on what parts were replaced on the vehicle. for example, if they replaced all for tires, that is easy 1K added to the bill. I would think that 07 CPOs are harder to deal with than 08 CPO only because of .9% financing or maintenance offer that BMW is offering. The dealer will not let you get the cake and eat it as well unless the car has been sitting on the lot for really long time.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
jsou
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Yea it's been brutal out there. I've been to 5 different dealerships each offering about 5k under list price and everyone thinks I'm nuts. I got a couple that started at 33,9 to come down to 31,9 or 31,5. I'm thinking if I can get out at 30k that's pretty good with the 0.9 financing. Do you guys typically ask for them to throw in accessories? I'm thinking of an outdoor car cover, all rubber floor mats, and a bmw sun shade.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
jferrell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Mazda3

You may want to blame BMW NA for part of this, I heard from a rep's mouth that as the new car market slows(availablility on things like 5 series, X5s and seat module delays) the CPO market rises and there shouldn't be any excessive discounting taking place. This is gonna sound a little crazy too but from the CA's side if they aren't selling a lot they are gonna make more off what they do sell.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It's the market. More and more E92's, especially 335i's are becoming harder to find. Many are buying out their leases etc. IMO low 30's is not bad for a CPO 335i Coupe depending on mileage. Most 335i coupes will get new tires when certified...easily adding 1800$ to the bill if it has sport tires.

Feel free to direct questions to me. I'll be more than happy to help.
      06-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackfiend View Post
It's the market. More and more E92's, especially 335i's are becoming harder to find. Many are buying out their leases etc. IMO low 30's is not bad for a CPO 335i Coupe depending on mileage. Most 335i coupes will get new tires when certified...easily adding 1800$ to the bill if it has sport tires.

Feel free to direct questions to me. I'll be more than happy to help.
Interesting, perception not reality is what drives the market.
BMWNA, knows it can't handle the flood of lease returns, so offer leasees to buy their cars for less than residual to take away used car availibility in essence creating a false supply; hence the price of CPO now is up.
And to recoup some of the money (from under residual deals), charge "loyalty adder fee", brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
shakan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

I have a 2008 335 E92 with 14000 miles on it. The dealer offered to CPO it for $4000 and finance at 5.9% if I want to buy it at residual value+CPO cost at the end of the month when the lease is up (I was planning to turn it in). Looking at the above, his offer is not too good, any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
jferrell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Mazda3

4000 may not actually be too far off the actually warranty itself is like 1500 to 2000 dollars something like that or so I've been told. The reconditioning is what may make up the rest, tires, etc....
Appreciate 0