E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just for the couple of people with wastegate failures....

03-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Just for the couple of people with wastegate failures....

Did your tune require a solenoid bypass?
      03-08-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
yes, however, my ticking noises (wastegate) was occuring before i ever did 1 thing to my car. I just thought it was normal and didnt think anything of it. My car needed its 15k service, so i thought i would get them to look into the noise since my car was going to be there.... So my wastegate failure isnt b/c of a tune and DEFINITELY not because of a damn delete of 2nd cats
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
MonacoTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Monaco Blue 335 Coupe

I did have a solenoid bypass. I do think however, that the noise started before putting in the JBS2... I may be mistaken though.

I had raised the same question a while back. Most people shot down the idea that the solenoid bypass could be the cause... Who knows, it very well could be.

It could also be the extra boost pressure.

I know that at least one person had the issue on a bone stock car, but it seems more common in tuned vehicles... Weak point that is being exacerbated by the tunes?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 02:38 AM   #4
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

what if the issue is related to ppl who push the car alot more?? Stock failures have happened, but moreso w/ tuned cars. 10 to 1 says ppl w/ a tune tend to push the car moreso than grannies...could be a direct relationship btw pushing hte car hard stock or tuning (most ppl w/ a tune tend to push the car)...who knows just an idea?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #5
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjafari View Post
what if the issue is related to ppl who push the car alot more?? Stock failures have happened, but moreso w/ tuned cars. 10 to 1 says ppl w/ a tune tend to push the car moreso than grannies...could be a direct relationship btw pushing hte car hard stock or tuning (most ppl w/ a tune tend to push the car)...who knows just an idea?
Thanks makes sense as well.....

Thanks for the responses guys....
      03-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

I had the AA piggyback before my v2 procede, so i had the solenoid bypassed for a while. I only have 6000k miles on the car so i havent had the solenoid bypass for that long. Heres a question for everyone else who had a tune with the byoassed solenoid. I remmeber at the beginne when i had the AA xede i had uninstalled it to take it to the dealership. I forgot to put the hoes back to normal and with the stock ecu and the solenoid bypassed it caused the car to smoke in that corner. I had went for a test drive after uninstalling the xede to make sure everyhting was on the up and up and forgot the hoses. Within minutes of driving the car it didnt have much power and started smoking through my glovebox. I puled into a parking lot and realized i forgt to change the hoses back. Dont know if this may have cause my wastegate failure now, but my very well have, since the foreman said that the wstegate was cooked. Cookig requires smoke i guess. i dunno anyone have any opinions, or any of you with similar problems ever have smoking or forget to put the solenoid back to stock.
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supramano View Post
I had the AA piggyback before my v2 procede, so i had the solenoid bypassed for a while. I only have 6000k miles on the car so i havent had the solenoid bypass for that long. Heres a question for everyone else who had a tune with the byoassed solenoid. I remmeber at the beginne when i had the AA xede i had uninstalled it to take it to the dealership. I forgot to put the hoes back to normal and with the stock ecu and the solenoid bypassed it caused the car to smoke in that corner. I had went for a test drive after uninstalling the xede to make sure everyhting was on the up and up and forgot the hoses. Within minutes of driving the car it didnt have much power and started smoking through my glovebox. I puled into a parking lot and realized i forgt to change the hoses back. Dont know if this may have cause my wastegate failure now, but my very well have, since the foreman said that the wstegate was cooked. Cookig requires smoke i guess. i dunno anyone have any opinions, or any of you with similar problems ever have smoking or forget to put the solenoid back to stock.
Your car started smoking through the glovebox?!?!?!?! I highly doubt that is from the lack of solenoid bypass . GL man
      03-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

I had v2 w/o solenoid bypassed. Not sure if my wastegate is failing, but my front turbo is cooking itself acoording to my SA.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
I had v2 w/o solenoid bypassed. Not sure if my wastegate is failing, but my front turbo is cooking itself acoording to my SA.
It might be attributed to the hot weather down in Florida...I guess 90+ for most of the year isn't too good for a N54 motor that runs hot to begin with!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
It might be attributed to the hot weather down in Florida...I guess 90+ for most of the year isn't too good for a N54 motor that runs hot to begin with!
Possible, but the car is inexplicably dumping fuel into cylinder 1 causing the front turbo to overheat. Normally, without the car freaking out, they don't overheat or get too hot at all. Something is causing my car to try and run rich but no one can figure out why. The ECU is wired properly to stock BTW.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I dont think heat had anything to do with mine failing. I recieved my car in novemebr of 07 and have had my car for 5 mpothns here in ny. Not once have i seen above 50 degrees since novemeber. I dunno if it has someting to do with bypassing the solenoid, dps, or high boost spikes. Or it might be a freak thing like the hpfp...not everyone got this problem.
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #12
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
Possible, but the car is inexplicably dumping fuel into cylinder 1 causing the front turbo to overheat. Something is causing my car to try and run rich but no one can figure out why.
Hang on a sec. I don't know that much about automotive engines, but in aviation, when you richen a mixture, it the exhaust gas temperature (and cylinder head temperature) goes down. Lean the mixture and the EGT and CHT go up.

Can someone explain why dumping more fuel into a cylinder (richening it) would cause it to run hotter?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post
Hang on a sec. I don't know that much about automotive engines, but in aviation, when you richen a mixture, it the exhaust gas temperature (and cylinder head temperature) goes down. Lean the mixture and the EGT and CHT go up.

Can someone explain why dumping more fuel into a cylinder (richening it) would cause it to run hotter?
The only way would be if it was running way rich and not firing at all but then igniting in the port or turbine housing. But you are correct, richening the mixture generally cools the burn.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sorry guys, just relaying the info I was given. I am not well versed in rich/lean burns and the effect it has on turbo engines except the fact there is a "magic" number you shoot for and anything above or below that is bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #15
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

It's no biggie, but I am real interested in seeing how this one turns out...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #16
choiffer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
2006 G35 Coupe  [0.00]
I think I might hear a ticking noise from my engine that I thought was normal? Can you guys explain in depth what this wastegate failure sounds like and possibly feels different when driven ?
      03-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #17
alan93rsa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Crimson Red/Black

If you put enough unburnt fuel into the turbo you will eventually get it to the cat. I believe the 335 has a metal monolith cat, Fecralloy or similar alloy. While much better than a ceramic monolith it can still fail. If metal shards from the cat block the exhaust gas flow it is possible to put excessive back pressure on the system. Which isn't good for the turbo or exhaust valves.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post
It's no biggie, but I am real interested in seeing how this one turns out...
I got in touch with my SA and he says the car is running fine now, no more burning smell or dumping extra fuel or anything like that. Weird that the problem just clears itself up.
Appreciate 0