E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > OEM oil cooler (yet again)

02-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Timbuktu
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi 2008, SP/PP/nav 18"

OEM oil cooler (yet again)

I know, I know this subject seems to have been beaten to death and I do know how to use the "search" button. In fact I've been researching several forums for over two weeks now.

So please, bear with me (this is in fact my first post on this forum - so I might get some slack

I'm thinking about getting 335xi sedan. AND on doing a Dinan re-flash. It seems that to have the Dinan warranty, I need to have an oil cooler. There's no way I'm paying $2,000 plus 7hrs of work for a Dinan cooler, I'd rather go with something like SSTT in that case. So, if my car had an OEM oil cooler that'd be nice.

Now, this is where it gets confusing. Looks like there's still no consensus on what cars come with it. Some people seem to think that just by getting a sports package you're getting the oil cooler. Others (and it seems to make sense) say that the oil cooler depends on the speed rating of your tyres. So, in my case if I just get the sport package, I won't have the cooler since the sports package for the XI comes with regular 17" tires. Only by upgrading to the 18" tires would I get the cooler. On the other hand, the RWD models do get higher-speed rated tires just by selecting the sports package. Yet other people seem to think that the presence of the oil cooler depends on the kind of transmission in the car.....

I'm living in the pot-hole country, so having low profile tires kinda scares me. If I knew that 17" would come with the cooler, I'd get them, if not - I'd have to get 18" for the summer and get an extra set for the winter. (Doing that may be a good idea regardless).

Any help is appriciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbuktu View Post

I know, I know this subject seems to have been beaten to death and I do know how to use the "search" button. In fact I've been researching several forums for over two weeks now.

So please, bear with me (this is in fact my first post on this forum - so I might get some slack

I'm thinking about getting 335xi sedan. AND on doing a Dinan re-flash. It seems that to have the Dinan warranty, I need to have an oil cooler. There's no way I'm paying $2,000 plus 7hrs of work for a Dinan cooler, I'd rather go with something like SSTT in that case. So, if my car had an OEM oil cooler that'd be nice.

Now, this is where it gets confusing. Looks like there's still no consensus on what cars come with it. Some people seem to think that just by getting a sports package you're getting the oil cooler. Others (and it seems to make sense) say that the oil cooler depends on the speed rating of your tyres. So, in my case if I just get the sport package, I won't have the cooler since the sports package for the XI comes with regular 17" tires. Only by upgrading to the 18" tires would I get the cooler. On the other hand, the RWD models do get higher-speed rated tires just by selecting the sports package. Yet other people seem to think that the presence of the oil cooler depends on the kind of transmission in the car.....

I'm living in the pot-hole country, so having low profile tires kinda scares me. If I knew that 17" would come with the cooler, I'd get them, if not - I'd have to get 18" for the summer and get an extra set for the winter. (Doing that may be a good idea regardless).

Any help is appriciated.
If you are going to be buying the car off of the lot, look in the front passenger side wheel well in front of the tire, and if you see a vent in there, then that car has the oil cooler. That is your only certainty.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Timbuktu
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply!

I forgot to mention that I'm planning to do an ED, so I can't take a look under the hood before buying the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

I forgot to mention that I'm planning to do an ED, so I can't take a look under the hood before buying the car.
Very true! Well, I would just make sure that your car has the sport package, no matter if it is i/xi, manual/automatic, you should be getting the oil cooler.

Stress to your CA that you want a configuration that comes with the additional oil cooler, because Dinan flash/no Dinan flash, it is nice to have the additional security against oil overheating.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Timbuktu
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Very true! Well, I would just make sure that your car has the sport package, no matter if it is i/xi, manual/automatic, you should be getting the oil cooler.

Stress to your CA that you want a configuration that comes with the additional oil cooler, because Dinan flash/no Dinan flash, it is nice to have the additional security against oil overheating.
Oh yeah, that brings me to another question. In a lot of threads about this matter, sometimes people refer to it as an "additiontal" oil cooler. Does it mean that there's always at least one oil cooler installed? Or is it simple an intercooler?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
35past3
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Oh yeah, that brings me to another question. In a lot of threads about this matter, sometimes people refer to it as an "additiontal" oil cooler. Does it mean that there's always at least one oil cooler installed? Or is it simple an intercooler?

Thanks.
Intercooler is for the airflow. You can see it if you look at center/bottom of your front bumper. You either have an oil cooler or you don't. There isn't an additional oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

on the XI models, you have to get the 18" performance tires/wheels to get the cooler.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
The general consensus for the"i" is that all sedans and coupes with sport package after March '07 build come with oil coolers. Before March '07, only the MT equipped cars with sport package came with oil coolers.

As far as "xi" models, I have read that only the sport package equipped 335s with the 18" wheel option are getting the oil coolers. I don't believe that has been completely verified though.

The AT/MT does not apply anymore whether a car gets an oil cooler or not.

As a side note, I remember seeing a diagram showing that the 335 is equipped with a gearbox oil cooler as well. Anyone know if this is true or not?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
jvose
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 330xi & '08 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
If you are going to be buying the car off of the lot, look in the front passenger side wheel well in front of the tire, and if you see a vent in there, then that car has the oil cooler. That is your only certainty.
I have 2008 335xi (production date 11/07) w/o a sports package. I checked both front wheel wells and they each have a vent. Shining a light thru from the front grill, it would appear this is only for cooling the brakes as I could see the light in the wheel well.

Is there another way to confirm the existence of this extra oil cooler?

Also, dumb question but all the 335's come with intercoolers, right? I did see an 2'x6" wide device mounted in front of the radiator. I assume that's the intercooler but can someone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

You can see the colling vanes for the oil cooler in the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
jvose
United_States
Rep

I have attached two pics. One showing the vent that I think you guys are talking about and another shot looking down the vent towards the front of the car (you can see the front grill).

I also went to the dealership today and looked at a 2008 328xi w/sport pkg. It had the same vent I am showing in my pics.

Does the appearance of this vent mean I have the second oil cooler?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

This vent is to cool the brakes... If this is the right front wheel well.. you do not have the added Oil Cooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
This issue has been beaten to death, but given some of the misinformation that floats around forums (and the fact that many BWM CA's don't know what's up), I'll repeat it:

If ordering a NEW 335, you need a) Sport Pkg for the oil cooler. It doesn't matter whether it's an AT or MT. In the case of the Xi models, you'll also need the 18" wheels/tires (as the tires on the 17" wheels are NOT V-rated). I believe the non-Xi versions of the car with the sport pkg come with 18" wheels (and V-rated tires).

Ultimately ..... if your vehicle does NOT come from the factory with V-rated tires .... you won't have the oil cooler.

For those of you who already have a 335 and can't determine whether there's an oil cooler mounted on the other side of the gills in the front passenger wheel well (which is quite obvious with a flashlight), pop your hood and look at the oil filter receptacle (that's the metal housing that has a large round black cap on it). If there are two black rubber lines leading to it, you have an oil cooler . If not, you're SOL
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
335xi2k8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

I thought even the xi with the 18 inch rims still dont have an oil cooler..can somebody confirm?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #15
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi2k8 View Post
I thought even the xi with the 18 inch rims still dont have an oil cooler..can somebody confirm?
I don't recall if you can order an Xi with 18" rims and NON V-rated tires.

As I said above, for the Xi models sold in N America, you need:

a) Sports Pkgs
b) 18" wheels with V-Rated tires

That's it. If you have an Xi and aren't sure whether or not you have the oil cooler, look under the damn hood.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #16
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

It is really simple.. If you intend modifying your car.. Do not buy the car unless it has the extra Oil cooler.. that is all there is to it.. Make it explicitly clear to your CA that if the car arrives and doesn't have one.. You will not take delivery of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #17
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:

Thanks.

BMWs equipped with the N54 either have an oil cooler or they don't. There is no "second oil cooler" for the engine.

There is a gearbox/tranny fluid cooler (ie gearbox oil cooler) that all BMWs have, so when looking at the schematic, without the parts legend, some people may assume there or 2 engine oil coolers. Which is just simple 1 for the gearbox, 1 for the engine (if equipped in the passenger side fender well).

I hope that clears this up.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #18
jvose
United_States
Rep

Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #19
jvose
United_States
Rep

Ok, thanks for the info. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #20
Diesel///M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M

does anyone know if you get the extra oil cooler if you have problems with some bolt ons.. such as intercooler????
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #21
D0WNxiSH1FT
Spooling
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Subaru WRX

Is there any reason why someone without the Sport and 18" couldn't just install the OEM BMW Oil Cooler? Should be a lot cheaper than the $2,000 Dinan version.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #22
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0WNxiSH1FT View Post
Is there any reason why someone without the Sport and 18" couldn't just install the OEM BMW Oil Cooler? Should be a lot cheaper than the $2,000 Dinan version.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but this has been discussed ad nauseam around here. Plus, it looks like you are fairly new around here. I suggest you perform a . In the meantime, I have sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0