E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Winter Tires TPMS

10-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Winter Tires TPMS

Picked up some winter tires recently used. OEM BMW wheels and almost brand new Bridgestone blizzaks for 400 CAD. Actually the wheels are so good i like them more than my summer wheels.

The guy told me these tires have no TPMS sensor. However all day driving no code.. Does the code pop up later. That would make sense to avoid false communication errors..

Does anyone know how quick the TPMS code is thrown or maybe the tires do have sensors and the guy didnt know.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
My 328 has a bad sensor I believe or dead battery in one of the wheels. It throws the error as soon as I start it. Twice actually, then the light blinks for about a mile.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Picked up some winter tires recently used. OEM BMW wheels and almost brand new Bridgestone blizzaks for 400 CAD. Actually the wheels are so good i like them more than my summer wheels.

The guy told me these tires have no TPMS sensor. However all day driving no code.. Does the code pop up later. That would make sense to avoid false communication errors..

Does anyone know how quick the TPMS code is thrown or maybe the tires do have sensors and the guy didnt know.
Aren't you in Canada? Canada BMW doesn't use TPMS.

It uses the ABS wheel speed sensor or something like that to find varying pressure.

Nice find on those wheels! What wheels are they and sizing specs? Looking for some wheels and tire to here on the used market. My E46 wheels plan didn't work haha

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 10-17-2018 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post

It uses the ABS wheel speed sensor or something like that to find varying pressure.

Nice find on those wheels! What wheels are they and sizing specs? Looking for some wheels and tire to here on the used market. My E46 wheels plan didn't work haha
This system is called FTM (Flat Tire Monitor), and as mentioned does not use tire sensors. This system uses the DSC to monitor tire rotation. When a tire loses pressure and deflates it changes the rotation speed of the tire, the DSC monitors for this.

If you have iDrive, the screens should say "FTM" instead of "TPMS". I know Canada used FTM for early E90's,but I thought they switched over to TPMS at some time - I don't know when.

Some people who have an issue with TPMS recode the car to FTM.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

The wheels design number i dont know honestly might take picture but they are 17 inch just like my summer wheels. I am not big into buying bigger expensive wheels so 17 is ok for me. I spend my money on other upgrades and maintenance usually.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
This system is called FTM (Flat Tire Monitor), and as mentioned does not use tire sensors. This system uses the DSC to monitor tire rotation. When a tire loses pressure and deflates it changes the rotation speed of the tire, the DSC monitors for this.

If you have iDrive, the screens should say "FTM" instead of "TPMS". I know Canada used FTM for early E90's,but I thought they switched over to TPMS at some time - I don't know when.

Some people who have an issue with TPMS recode the car to FTM.
Its intersting because when i replaced the bad tire and inflated the TPMS icon was still on. Had to go into the BDC menu and reset TPMS. It clearly says TPMS..

I have to double check this its news to me. If thats truly the case i like it better
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Pre-LCI uses the speed sensor, which is why with new tires you should reset the sensor in the stock because the diameter might be slightly different. I thought LCI models use sensors but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The wheels design number i dont know honestly might take picture but they are 17 inch just like my summer wheels. I am not big into buying bigger expensive wheels so 17 is ok for me. I spend my money on other upgrades and maintenance usually.
Oh ok don't want to go off topic on your post, I'm really interested in your 17 specs or picture by PM. Would appreciate it if possible!

I've looked at 2 17 inch specs wheels and they fit it so tight. I guess it might be their offset tho. It just clears the caliper (in my case caliper is not cleared) and I saw some other wheels where they clear caliper but they are so close to the strut.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Pre-LCI uses the speed sensor, which is why with new tires you should reset the sensor in the stock because the diameter might be slightly different. I thought LCI models use sensors but I could be wrong.
I'm LCI and no TPMS.
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      10-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I'm LCI and no TPMS.
Lucky. I hate TPMS, it's useless. I think there is a way to code it out which I plan to do. I've driven for years without it anyway. There is no point especially now that mine is throwing false errors.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      10-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #11
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh ok don't want to go off topic on your post, I'm really interested in your 17 specs or picture by PM. Would appreciate it if possible!

I've looked at 2 17 inch specs wheels and they fit it so tight. I guess it might be their offset tho. It just clears the caliper (in my case caliper is not cleared) and I saw some other wheels where they clear caliper but they are so close to the strut.
I will do that np at all can someone let me know what is the best way to post pictures here.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I will do that np at all can someone let me know what is the best way to post pictures here.
Or unless you know your wheel specs you can just write them down.

For pictures I usually upload them to Imgur then insert image from link here.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #13
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Will do that tonight
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #14
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

View post on imgur.com

Tires are 225/45/17 Rims are dirty because they were only used in winter but much better looking than my summer which have more spokes and i dont like that. Less spokes the better for my taste.

I dont know what the wheel type is or the spec of the actual wheel offset or anything but they sit exactly as my other ones which are OEM too.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
View post on imgur.com

Tires are 225/45/17 Rims are dirty because they were only used in winter but much better looking than my summer which have more spokes and i dont like that. Less spokes the better for my taste.

I dont know what the wheel type is or the spec of the actual wheel offset or anything but they sit exactly as my other ones which are OEM too.
Thanks! I'll be running that size tire to then. And wow those rims are so nice for winter. I would have love something in that style for sure. I'm running these for winter.

And yeah for wheels specs it's ok, I just got spacers to match OEM ish offset of ET34 so it should 100% fit based on my calculations, can't wait to test fit and get my tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #16
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I'll be running that size tire to then. And wow those rims are so nice for winter. I would have love something in that style for sure. I'm running these for winter.

And yeah for wheels specs it's ok, I just got spacers to match OEM ish offset of ET34 so it should 100% fit based on my calculations, can't wait to test fit and get my tires.
Nice, yeah i was not expecting even alloys for winter got very lucky.
Appreciate 0