E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Official New England Chat Forum (#2)

07-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #1321
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Mexico is a good place to race G37S'. I too have gone to Mexico for those races.

I have my eyes on the CF BMW Performance frame (don't flame me... it's stupid money for a frame). But I've thrown plastidip at a frame to refresh it for the last car, and plopped a decal on it. No one knew the wiser...

Anyone going to Cars and Coffee tomorrow at Lars Anderson?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #1322
Amonra08
Yes, I'd like to BMW please
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M4

Garage List
2009 328i  [10.00]
2015 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
I need license plate covers. Any suggestions? I have an old chrome set that started rusting so I could always Plastdip them but seeing if anyone had any suggestions. This would be going on E92 Monaco blue.

Going to find some Pan Head M5x10 .8 Pitch too...
I use the BMW slim frame. Comes in chrome, carbon fiber & something else lol.
Looks really clean filling the plate but its not cheap for a frame (bmw being bmw lol)

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
      07-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #1323
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
Mexico is a good place to race G37S'. I too have gone to Mexico for those races.

I have my eyes on the CF BMW Performance frame (don't flame me... it's stupid money for a frame). But I've thrown plastidip at a frame to refresh it for the last car, and plopped a decal on it. No one knew the wiser...

Anyone going to Cars and Coffee tomorrow at Lars Anderson?
When are you going? Would be an excuse to wash my car...

@Amonra08 Hmm $42 is for 1 CF license plate frame or two? If it's two I can handle the price.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #1324
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

@Amonra08 Hmm $42 is for 1 CF license plate frame or two? If it's two I can handle the price.
Guarantee it'll be for one.

I'm going to detail tonight, then head over there tomorrow morning. Hopefully will be there at 8. Early to get a spot on the lawn.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #1325
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm going to detail tonight, then head over there tomorrow morning. Hopefully will be there at 8. Early to get a spot on the lawn.
84 + shipping + black bolts is $100 for stupid license plates...I think that is too rich for my blood. Then again maybe I'll get drunk and order it tonight.

Speaking of license plates I wonder if it is worth clearing over the plates. Easier to wax and keep them clean...except for the rear sticker...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #1326
Amonra08
Yes, I'd like to BMW please
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M4

Garage List
2009 328i  [10.00]
2015 M4  [10.00]
Quote:

Quote:

Its for one lol, told you it would be pricey caz "BMW" I got mine in chrome for a total of $52 in person at the Peabody dealership. Still expensive lol, I'm sure you can find them else where online for a bit cheaper

Last edited by Amonra08; 07-18-2014 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #1327
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
http://www.amazon.com/Cruiser-Access.../dp/B00236XLA0
If you're going for a basic frame...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #1328
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Anyone know where to get a decent amount of gloss black vinyl locally for cheap? Good brands please: 3M, Oracal, etc... No I don't need anyone to do the wrapping for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #1329
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Anyone know where to get a decent amount of gloss black vinyl locally for cheap? Good brands please: 3M, Oracal, etc... No I don't need anyone to do the wrapping for me.
I don't. Doing your trim?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #1330
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't. Doing your trim?
Yes. Boss says to me "Car looked good at the show, but man I see what you mean about the trim..." Would be nice to have it done before Bimmerfest as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #1331
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
I need license plate covers. Any suggestions? I have an old chrome set that started rusting so I could always Plastdip them but seeing if anyone had any suggestions. This would be going on E92 Monaco blue.
Why bother with a frame at all? Looks better without it.

Oh, and to update on my wastegate rattle saga - shop foreman is claiming that the new revision turbos with the new wastegates have unavoidable wastegate rattle, even though the old ones did it. The rattle I get letting off the throttle or shifting at 2500 - 3500 RPM is unavoidable, as is the cold start drive off rattle. My only solution is to live with it.

Anyone else have the new turbos and care to comment? The sound really bothers me with the windows down and I'm pretty damn displeased.
      07-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #1332
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Why bother with a frame at all? Looks better without it.

Oh, and to update on my wastegate rattle saga - shop foreman is claiming that the new revision turbos with the new wastegates have unavoidable wastegate rattle, even though the old ones did it. The rattle I get letting off the throttle or shifting at 2500 - 3500 RPM is unavoidable, as is the cold start drive off rattle. My only solution is to live with it.

Anyone else have the new turbos and care to comment? The sound really bothers me with the windows down and I'm pretty damn displeased.
I think a small black frame around the license plate looks better but that is just me.

I would contact BMWNA man.

Z just had new turbos put in and I don't hear him complaining about waste gate rattle. I am guessing they don't want to do the labor to adjust the wastegates or have to replace the turbos again.

For you guys who had your turbos replaced did you ask for the old beat up turbos back? Would they give them to you? Be nice to be able to send them out to get rebuilt by RB and not have down time. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #1333
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think a small black frame around the license plate looks better but that is just me.

I would contact BMWNA man.

Z just had new turbos put in and I don't hear him complaining about waste gate rattle. I am guessing they don't want to do the labor to adjust the wastegates or have to replace the turbos again.

For you guys who had your turbos replaced did you ask for the old beat up turbos back? Would they give them to you? Be nice to be able to send them out to get rebuilt by RB and not have down time. Just a thought.
They did wind up dropping the exhaust and motor and adjusting one of the turbos, but it made no perceptible difference for me. They claim they've tested the car and didn't hear anything, but also claim that BMW deems wastegate rattle under my scenarios to be acceptable. Even if it is "acceptable," it's kind of ridiculous that fixing a car means that it sounds worse than it used to when it was working.

I guess I'll try BMWNA, but I'm not hopeful given that they told me to shove it last time I contacted them.

And goddammit, I wish you had mentioned asking for the old turbos or I had thought of it sooner. Oh well.
      07-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #1334
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
They did wind up dropping the exhaust and motor and adjusting one of the turbos, but it made no perceptible difference for me. They claim they've tested the car and didn't hear anything, but also claim that BMW deems wastegate rattle under my scenarios to be acceptable. Even if it is "acceptable," it's kind of ridiculous that fixing a car means that it sounds worse than it used to when it was working.

I guess I'll try BMWNA, but I'm not hopeful given that they told me to shove it last time I contacted them.

And goddammit, I wish you had mentioned asking for the old turbos or I had thought of it sooner. Oh well.
They probably send them back to whoever manufactures them for a rebuild. Especially given the number they are replacing I am sure they want to install refurbs vs. new. Like the ones you got are they really new? Or just rebuilt old ones? My guess is rebuilt old ones...nothing says they have to put brand new ones in. I wonder if that is where the problem stems from?

I would argue that the car sounds worse or as bad as when you originally brought it in to have the turbos replaced and that it never made that noise when you originally bought the car. You could mention you can't even sell the car now as every buyer thinks something is broken. I am sure forum members would be happy to give you written letter saying they refuse to purchase your car because of the noise...probably wouldn't help but I would try every thing I can think of. Maybe explain to the dealership you are now trying to sell your car and are having issues and ask for them to write a letter on company letter head stating the noises are normal for this car with newly replaced turbos and there is nothing wrong. Take the letter to BMWNA and explain you are going to post a you tube video explaining that your newly installed turbos that were just replaced under the emission recall thingy rattle and the video and letter will be on every forum in existence. Again probably wouldn't work but I wouldn't work but you have have to get creative. If nothing else the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease...isn't there some free consumer affairs thing you can complain to or something? Can you contact the BBB and report that dealership or at least threaten to do so? Threaten to post negative reviews online? Threaten that you will be writing an article in every local paper in the area regarding your negative experienced with them? If this noise is normal and acceptable can they show you another vehicle on their lot that makes the same noise and is available for purchase? My guess is no...which means it is not normal and they would fix it before putting it on their lot as to not be accused of selling a car with a known issue. Ask them exactly what constitutes the sound to be acceptable. and what exactly is my 'scenario'? What that they replaced your ratteling turbos with another set that rattles? It didn't rattle when new and the recall is because of the rattle and the new ones rattle the recall is kind of worthless.... To go on ask them exactly how they can quantify what is acceptable and what is not. What written procedure do they follow to determine what is and what is not acceptable. As for a copy of such said procedure. If they say it is up to the discretion of the tech/service manager ask them what formal training they were given to diagnose what sound is acceptable or not. If there has been no formal training, no written procedure, no test they can administer, then it's just up to an untrained person to say what is acceptable or not which is a joke and they are as qualified as you are. Does the person who decided it was 'acceptable' drive a bike, car with loud exhaust, use firearms, etc? Anything you could use to show their hearing is dampened/damaged more than the next person and unqualified to be making such decisions? Do they use a DB meter? If so explain DB meters are f'ing useless and the the frequency is what matters not a dp level. blah blah blah don't let them get away with this. If it rattles now it's only going to get worse. I should probably get back to work...

Last edited by Torgus; 07-23-2014 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #1335
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Take it to another dealership. Have them diagnose it first, without explaining the history of the turbos being replaced already.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #1336
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately the only other remotely close dealership is one that's even worse. they flat-out refused an HPFP replacement for me in the past under the recall even after crank issues and keeping the car for four days. They're also the dealership that shattered a forum member's bumper, refused to replace it at first, and then returned the car with over 300 miles logged on it from a joyride.

The dealership is hiding behind this clause of the BMW service bulletin I dug up:
Quote:
A slight rattle noise is considered normal operation of the mechanical wastegate valve and is not a failure of the part. No repair should be attempted for this type of rattling complaint.

If the noise is described as a clanking noise occurring up to six or seven times in a row during a deceleration from approximately 3,500 RPM, or during a heavy application of the accelerator without a drive gear being engaged, then continue with the procedures described in this document.
My noise isn't a "clanking" but is instead a "slight rattle." Leave it to BMW to settle a lawsuit with a policy using highly subjective terms that give tons of room to deny repair requests...
      07-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #1337
335xiRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Can you do my wrapping for me? Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #1338
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xiRacer View Post
Can you do my wrapping for me? Lol
Let me do mine first, then I'll be better equipped to help. Did the interior trim already. Easy but time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #1339
335xiRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I have some shadowline vinyl at home
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #1340
Boston335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Unfortunately the only other remotely close dealership is one that's even worse. they flat-out refused an HPFP replacement for me in the past under the recall even after crank issues and keeping the car for four days. They're also the dealership that shattered a forum member's bumper, refused to replace it at first, and then returned the car with over 300 miles logged on it from a joyride.

The dealership is hiding behind this clause of the BMW service bulletin I dug up:
Quote:
A slight rattle noise is considered normal operation of the mechanical wastegate valve and is not a failure of the part. No repair should be attempted for this type of rattling complaint.

If the noise is described as a clanking noise occurring up to six or seven times in a row during a deceleration from approximately 3,500 RPM, or during a heavy application of the accelerator without a drive gear being engaged, then continue with the procedures described in this document.
My noise isn't a "clanking" but is instead a "slight rattle." Leave it to BMW to settle a lawsuit with a policy using highly subjective terms that give tons of room to deny repair requests...
If you take the vacuum lines off of the canisters and the rattle goes away, that is clearly wastegate rattle. If it does I would take it back and show them.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #1341
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Awesome. Water pump toast.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #1342
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome. Water pump toast.
Sucks. Are you fixing it yourself? How much is a new water pump? My boss paid $1100 at a stealership.
Appreciate 0