E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335d LCI vs pre LCI

07-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #1
mullac69
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E90 LCI

335d LCI vs pre LCI

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but essentially I'm after clarifying any LCI vs pre LCI differences, specifically on UK 335d models.

I know about the iDrive system being much better on LCI models, and the styling changes, but I was reading a forum post earlier where someone stated the LCI 335d has a different engine tune, and a newer gearbox.

I'm not sure if they were talking about a US model, or if that applies to all 335d cars, could anybody confirm?

Essentially I've been looking for a LCI 335d to buy for a few weeks now, but a super clean pre LCI one has shown up for sale, with low milage, full service history etc. In terms of the body changes / looks, I like them both equally. LCI looks more modern, pre LCI looks more 'mean'.

Other than the CIC iDrive, are there any other advantages of the LCI model worth holding out for?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
sk1939
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 335i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullac69 View Post
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but essentially I'm after clarifying any LCI vs pre LCI differences, specifically on UK 335d models.

I know about the iDrive system being much better on LCI models, and the styling changes, but I was reading a forum post earlier where someone stated the LCI 335d has a different engine tune, and a newer gearbox.

I'm not sure if they were talking about a US model, or if that applies to all 335d cars, could anybody confirm?

Essentially I've been looking for a LCI 335d to buy for a few weeks now, but a super clean pre LCI one has shown up for sale, with low milage, full service history etc. In terms of the body changes / looks, I like them both equally. LCI looks more modern, pre LCI looks more 'mean'.

Other than the CIC iDrive, are there any other advantages of the LCI model worth holding out for?

Thanks in advance!
Having had a 335d in Europe, the difference between the LCI and non-LCI is non-existent (at least to me). Besides the electronics and the cosmetics, the drive train and the transmission remained the same from start to finish. The difference is with the 330d, which kept the same engine (N57D30) but received a different tune with a gain of around 15HP/15 lb-ft of torque. The 335D however is an absolute monster, in 2010 or so it produced as much power as the current Land Rover Sport HSE diesel. While everyone raves about the 335is (320HP, 332Lb-ft), the 335D is underrated imo. The 335D puts out 282HP (meh), but a huge 430 lb-ft of torque (which is still more than the F30 S55-based M3). With a Stage 2.5 tune, you can probably get around 367HP and 565 Lb-Ft of torque, which is a crazy amount of power (more than a new Ford F250 truck with a petrol engine).
Appreciate 0