E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY N52 Valve Cover Gasket replacement

05-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #45
Luis561
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

Did you get the bolts on the rear left? Those are hard to see, you gotta feel around with your fingers. Also it helps to completely pull out the bolts
Appreciate 2
POBEP359.50
      05-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #46
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
bluewater328 Luis561 - thanks for all your help!

I had all the bolts loosened.
(3 rear bolts were barely torqued)

VC finally detached from the HEAD after many attempts.

I did not have to trim the eBox.
Raised cowl gave me enough clearance to take VC out in no time.

Middle center bolt fell off when I put VC on the workbench.
I guess it needs to be pulled out ahead of VC removal.

Main gasket was in good shape with exception of the rear exhaust side near cylinders 4-5-6.
Perhaps thats why it did not let me separate VC as easy as expected.
(I am the original owner - no gasket maker detected)

In contrast, spark plug gaskets were like a hard plastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #47
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
bluewater328 Luis561 - thanks for all your help!

I had all the bolts loosened.
(3 rear bolts were barely torqued)

VC finally detached from the HEAD after many attempts.

I did not have to trim the eBox.
Raised cowl gave me enough clearance to take VC out in no time.

Middle center bolt fell off when I put VC on the workbench.
I guess it needs to be pulled out ahead of VC removal.

Main gasket was in good shape with exception of the rear exhaust side near cylinders 4-5-6.
Perhaps thats why it did not let me separate VC as easy as expected.
(I am the original owner - no gasket maker detected)

In contrast, spark plug gaskets were like a hard plastic.
Glad it finally pulled free Check for oil in the plugs...it usually happens around the time the cover gasket starts failing. Just clean up and replace plugs.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #48
dwlachowicz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 M Sport;F15 M Sport

Garage List
Thank you for all the tips in the thread for the job, was able to get it done the other night. Lifting the cowl made a world of a difference! Rubber mallet helped persuade the VC off haha.
Luis56194.50
      05-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #49
ExoticM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 M3 6MT

Valve cover gasket replacement info

Hi everyone! I completed this project a while back and lets just say I hope this leak does not come back haha. I will post my video that has all the tools and sources you'll need when completing the valve cover gasket replacement while adding DIY videos in the description.

Email: bmwyt0@gmail.com

Video Link to my channel
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:30 AM   #50
kmaforty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i, '17 530i, '20 330ix

Need help removing valve cover

After putting this off for way too long, finally decided to replace my VCG on my 06 330i tonight. I may also have a leaky filter housing gasket (just finished) and possibly a leaky oil pan gasket. Hopefully it's just the upper two leaks, but it leaks pretty bad

I have 2 broken VC bolts that need to be addressed - at least there are at the front. I also managed to break the PCV fitting, so I'll need to repair or replace. Any suggestions?

Also, can't move the coil harness out of the way and has trapped the cover in the back. I can't see very well, but looks and feels like a clip is holding the wire onto the head just below the PCV outlet, which then wraps around to the injector harness. How can I free the harness so I can move it out of the way?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:11 PM   #51
kmaforty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i, '17 530i, '20 330ix

still leaking and smoke from top of engine

I was successful in completing this job after dismantling the coil wire harness to get necessary slack.
Name:  IMG_8109.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  819.9 KB

I was also able to extract two of the broken bolts - there is still one stripped, but plan to use an extended bolt and nut under the flange instead of retapping a larger bolt.

Also realized it is best to place the gasket on the head if you have the metal valve cover - or else the gasket (which sticks out beyond the cover) hangs up in the back if you secure it to the cover with RTV.

I also had to replace the cover vent tube after the original broke during removal. I highly recommend OE. I had purchased a JL brand from Pelican and absolutely could not get it to clip on either the valve cover or oil separator nipple. It requires some contortion to feed the part and make the heater electrical connection behind and under the intake manifold. Once in position though, the OE tube snapped right on.

I am still having issues and concerned I may have missed something or created another issue. I had hoped I eliminated the leaks on top (including the oil filter housing gasket replacement) and likely still have a leaky oil pan gasket. I am still seeing oil drips on the floor and lost 1/2 quart drop in a couple hundred miles - which seems worse than before gasket. Beyond that, there is visible smoke coming from the top of the engine and am getting some nasty oil smell coming into the interior which I did not have before. I thought it have been old oil residue and from retapping, but it is not burning off. BMW tech suggested in may be related to the oil separator.

Anyone experience similar smell and smoke after replacing the gasket. Perhaps I went light on the torque and still weeping at the valve cover? Or could there be an issue with the oil separator or something else?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #52
stickysBMW328
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith_Jason View Post
Had the car in last week to have my auto fluid replaced at the dealer. I was not in the mood to do this myself at all and at my current mileage I felt I was at “lifetime” on my lifetime fluid. I have some differential and transfer case fluid to change as well.

Anyways they noted (and I knew) the my VCG is leaking. No big deal, I am pretty comfortable with the idea of doing it myself in the next little while. Likely when I get some time over the holidays.

Is there an easy way to determine if I have a cracked VC ? I plan on cleaning the leaking area up in the next couple weeks and see if I can have a better look. The kits for gaskets is $60 as compared to a new Valve cover which is $400. The additional funds would be used to do the ESS and maybe coils and plugs. Though they were done at around 85,000km and I am currently at 145,000km. I may get them to have on hand just in case and if needed do them or otherwise leave them until a later time.

Thoughts on gaskets vs cover ?
I'm in a similar situation and seeking the same basic advice. My valve cover gasket is leaking and the dealership recommends that the gasket and valve cover both get replaced because of age/mileage and proneness of the valve cover to crack. I'm 80k miles with a 2011 328i xdrive, N52. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #53
runnr548
BMW Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 7 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaforty View Post
I was successful in completing this job after dismantling the coil wire harness to get necessary slack.
Attachment 2348129

I was also able to extract two of the broken bolts - there is still one stripped, but plan to use an extended bolt and nut under the flange instead of retapping a larger bolt.

Also realized it is best to place the gasket on the head if you have the metal valve cover - or else the gasket (which sticks out beyond the cover) hangs up in the back if you secure it to the cover with RTV.

I also had to replace the cover vent tube after the original broke during removal. I highly recommend OE. I had purchased a JL brand from Pelican and absolutely could not get it to clip on either the valve cover or oil separator nipple. It requires some contortion to feed the part and make the heater electrical connection behind and under the intake manifold. Once in position though, the OE tube snapped right on.

I am still having issues and concerned I may have missed something or created another issue. I had hoped I eliminated the leaks on top (including the oil filter housing gasket replacement) and likely still have a leaky oil pan gasket. I am still seeing oil drips on the floor and lost 1/2 quart drop in a couple hundred miles - which seems worse than before gasket. Beyond that, there is visible smoke coming from the top of the engine and am getting some nasty oil smell coming into the interior which I did not have before. I thought it have been old oil residue and from retapping, but it is not burning off. BMW tech suggested in may be related to the oil separator.

Anyone experience similar smell and smoke after replacing the gasket. Perhaps I went light on the torque and still weeping at the valve cover? Or could there be an issue with the oil separator or something else?

I had what sounds like the same smoke issue. Pulling the valve cover to check the gasket; possibly got twisted?? I will update later.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 11:51 PM   #54
a.scogin86
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Any Idea?

Does anyone know what would have caused these codes in the attached photos after VCG replacement. I didn't have them before i did the replacement.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #55
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.scogin86 View Post
Does anyone know what would have caused these codes in the attached photos after VCG replacement. I didn't have them before i did the replacement.
Hard to tell without a code reader.

However, I had a similar experience when I did mine.
In fact, my engine want even start.

After 10 minute of panic reading on the forums that ECU needs to be replaced, I realized that it was electrical connections in the ebox.
I opened ebox, pushed down every single plug there and fuses.
Cleared the codes, pushed start/stop button and engine started instantly.

It is possible that one or more plugs got disconnected while you was working on VCG.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #56
a.scogin86
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
Hard to tell without a code reader.

However, I had a similar experience when I did mine.
In fact, my engine want even start.

After 10 minute of panic reading on the forums that ECU needs to be replaced, I realized that it was electrical connections in the ebox.
I opened ebox, pushed down every single plug there and fuses.
Cleared the codes, pushed start/stop button and engine started instantly.

It is possible that one or more plugs got disconnected while you was working on VCG.

Where is the ebox located?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:18 PM   #57
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.scogin86 View Post
Where is the ebox located?
under the cowl, near firewall, passenger side
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #58
edirty6
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 97 318ti(M52)&09 328i(N51)

have a n51, but basically the same thing. used this to do my gaskets. very helpful
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 07:44 PM   #59
alpine_n52
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
either you've missed something obvious or the last owner used gasket maker. Back can get caught up near the windshield cowl and the ECU area as there is a single lip on the wiring box that some people even cut to ease removal. Reason why you have to at least remove the cover and pull the cables from their default areas to create slack (which I see you've done). Windshield cowl can be semi disconnected so it creates room too, but that's just pulling it away clearance vs just getting it off.
best and easiest way to do vcg, and this is coming from doing it the first time and taking 12 hours and second time 2 hours with these tricks. Use 3m super weatherstrip adhesive sparingly in dabs around the perimeter of the valve cover. and attach the gasket. Note, do not use sealer between head and gasket, just between plastic and gasket. Let it dry for 24 hours. Will save a lot of time by keeping that pesky gasket in its groove. Then the real trick to this job, not just lifting the windshield cowl, but taking the thing off. It is more simple than it looks. Disconnect the wiper fluid line( prolly the most difficult part, cus it gets stuck) nothing that a pry tool wonÂ’t handle. Next, unbolt the wiper arms, after marking their position ofc. No fancy tools needed to get them off just wiggle them up and down carefully and they will pop right off. Next disconnect the heated nozzle connections underneath the passenger side filter hole(there are 2). unfasten the v brace seal/housing held in with 3 10mm screws. the cowl is held in with a large clip that runs on the bottom of the windshield, use a pick to get it started, then you can carefully pry the cowl off. Once it is removed, there are two smaller plastic cowl pieces on each side held in with 2 10mm bolts. remove passenger side and boom, this job becomes laughably easy. Serious when i say this, it took only 2 minutes to get the old cover out and another 1 minute to reinstall the new one.Hope this can help someone out!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 08:09 AM   #60
runnr548
BMW Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 7 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnr548 View Post
I had what sounds like the same smoke issue. Pulling the valve cover to check the gasket; possibly got twisted?? I will update later.
Long time since it was remedied...the gasket was twisted slightly in back. Adjusted and fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 05:39 PM   #61
W$Adrian602
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i e90 sedan

Hi i was also going to do this job myself but i just bought an elring gasket replacement kit and it also came with spark plug tubes and two self locking hex nuts but im not sure what the hex nuts are for anyone have more info before i start?
Appreciate 0