E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Recommend Android HU for my E90

11-12-2022, 08:59 AM   #23
Chacas25
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 e92 M3

Has anybody tried the mr12volt unit?

It uses the existing screen, so no touch screen. But sends audio directly to the most, so for sound quality it is suposed to be exelent.

Any expirience here?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 01:58 PM   #24
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I have there older unit that just does usb sd bluetooth phone and streaming
There is no difference between the cd and the usb with the same files.
The bluetooth streaming is not as good but still better than the aux.

Not surprising that Bluetooth is worse.

But I believe there new unit has Wi Fi , could be wrong better check it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 09:56 AM   #25
Shyatic
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7, 2011 BMW 335xd

I've joined this thread very late - but I have a 2011 E90 335xdrive, with iDrive and the built-in navigation.

I'm looking for the unit I should buy to replace the screen in the dash already, and how I can get the best audio quality as well. I have an AUX/USB port in my center console, and I'd prefer not to use AUX to connect.

From what I'm reading on here, there are other options, but no links to the things I'd need to buy -- so curious if anybody can help with a little guidance on that? Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 10:25 AM   #26
codeterrorist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyatic View Post
I've joined this thread very late - but I have a 2011 E90 335xdrive, with iDrive and the built-in navigation.

I'm looking for the unit I should buy to replace the screen in the dash already, and how I can get the best audio quality as well. I have an AUX/USB port in my center console, and I'd prefer not to use AUX to connect.

From what I'm reading on here, there are other options, but no links to the things I'd need to buy -- so curious if anybody can help with a little guidance on that? Appreciate it!
Join this Discord, there is a lot of information on Android headunits.
https://discord.com/channels/7024375...38814274158644
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 11:55 AM   #27
Shyatic
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7, 2011 BMW 335xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeterrorist View Post
Join this Discord, there is a lot of information on Android headunits.
https://discord.com/channels/7024375...38814274158644
This doesn't work for me -- dead link or stuck? Not sure..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #28
codeterrorist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyatic View Post
This doesn't work for me -- dead link or stuck? Not sure..
Ah, I just copied the URL when i should have copied an invite URL. My bad.
Try https://discord.gg/4wm73azm
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #29
ianoob
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

I have the Andream CCC Car Play unit. Most of the time it is ok... sounds, screen, etc.
Issues I have:
Night mode and brightness are not automatic, I need to go into settings every time.
Some Android Auto updates break the wireless connection, but this is not officially supported by the manufacturer.
The mic is garbage for calls, but I can't use use an external one. I tried hooking up my first gen Echo Auto, but calls still route through the HU. If you turn off calls to the HU, it refuses to connect at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #30
Valnights
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i XDrive, 07 328xi

I'm finding it hard to find a straight answer anywhere so if this has been discussed somewhere please do let me know! I just bought a 2011 328i xdrive without the idrive system and am looking at doing one of those android headunit retrofits. However, as many people mention there is double loss in quality from both bluetooth to the unit followed by the connection to the armrest aux that most of them use. My car happens to have the S6FL USB/Audio Interface option which to my understanding is capable of handling audio/data, so in that case is there no way to bypass the aux and plug the unit straight into the usb? Is there a specific headunit that does this natively or any way to link the headunit digitally to the car? I'll be upgrading the hi-fi system soon too but I want to start with the base headunit upgrade and avoid as much audio loss on the way. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help pointing me in the right direction!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 05:09 AM   #31
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Someone needs to try this

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/pr...il/id/808.html
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #32
mike929
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnights View Post
I'm finding it hard to find a straight answer anywhere so if this has been discussed somewhere please do let me know! I just bought a 2011 328i xdrive without the idrive system and am looking at doing one of those android headunit retrofits. However, as many people mention there is double loss in quality from both bluetooth to the unit followed by the connection to the armrest aux that most of them use. My car happens to have the S6FL USB/Audio Interface option which to my understanding is capable of handling audio/data, so in that case is there no way to bypass the aux and plug the unit straight into the usb? Is there a specific headunit that does this natively or any way to link the headunit digitally to the car? I'll be upgrading the hi-fi system soon too but I want to start with the base headunit upgrade and avoid as much audio loss on the way. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help pointing me in the right direction!
What did you end up doing? I have a base system non i-drive as well (with aux / usb)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 10:32 AM   #33
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Non-iDrive units do not utilize the AUX input (other than to act as another input for HU). Instead they directly connect to one of:

a) Speakers (using the HU as an amplifier)
b) OEM Amp (using low-level/RCA outputs)
c) Fiber Optic Adapter to connect to Logic 7 Amp

which one you will use depends on the included audio system with your car. I use (c) which requires the additional adapter. I'm satisfied with the audio quality and can't tell a difference from the OEM HU quality. I'm using the Eonon 9465 (no -'B') which has a very OEM look and real buttons.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 09:37 PM   #34
mike929
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
Non-iDrive units do not utilize the AUX input (other than to act as another input for HU). Instead they directly connect to one of:

a) Speakers (using the HU as an amplifier)
b) OEM Amp (using low-level/RCA outputs)
c) Fiber Optic Adapter to connect to Logic 7 Amp

which one you will use depends on the included audio system with your car. I use (c) which requires the additional adapter. I'm satisfied with the audio quality and can't tell a difference from the OEM HU quality. I'm using the Eonon 9465 (no -'B') which has a very OEM look and real buttons.
Thanks

I have a basic radio. No logic7, no Bluetooth. I'll check out eonon. I also like the units that are on the dash. Being closer to eye level is a convenience.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 03:23 PM   #35
mike929
Private
Rep

What did you end up doing OP?
From this post i've seen a few options
Eonon - goes into the dash but moves your HVAC unit lower seems a little off
Joying - has like floating screen, seems interesting
And the andriod unites that you have to cut up the dash and install. Once installed they look pretty OEM though.
Appreciate 0