Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Repairing Style 37/M Parallels

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-25-2021, 09:21 PM   #1
Peter5498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

Repairing Style 37/M Parallels

Finally sourced a set of M Parallels The problem though is that the clear coat has some peeling on 2/4 wheels and I’d honestly like to make them look great.

I looked up a few threads/videos on the repairs but they aren’t exactly what I’m looking for. My plan is to strip off the clear coat + paint, repair any rash/corrosion, and then repaint/polish and finally clear coat. Is this as easy as using Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover, doing a little bit of sanding, and finally spraying the spokes and polishing the lip? I don’t have months to be doing this, but really a few weeks. Just looking for advice. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 09:27 PM   #2
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

This thread and the poster should be of great help; https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...el+refinishing
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 10:03 PM   #3
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

These wheels have diamond cut lips, painted/PC'd centers, and are lacquered over the whole wheel. I believe you'll need special equipment to mimic the brushed finish on the lips, it's not DIY-friendly. I've not heard of a DIY clear coat that will stick to this finish.

There's a ton of applicable information here: https://www.m5board.com/threads/bmw-...finish.606512/
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #4
Peter5498
Private First Class
Rep

I see that nsjames’ thread is kind of what I had in mind. The thread on M5 post is also applicable but I would prefer not to machine them down and leave less material there for bends/cracks to happen down the road.

My main thing is that the clear coat is peeling off a few of my wheels and I’d like to get that fixed in some way before moving to Hawaii where the raw aluminum could corrode pretty easily (or at least that’s my assumption).

This guy here actually sanded down all the clear, painted, clear coated, etc but idk if that’s really practical. Might be best to follow nsjames’ thread really. I think I’ll ask on the M5 forum actually since they use these wheels the most.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #5
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5498 View Post
Finally sourced a set of M Parallels The problem though is that the clear coat has some peeling on 2/4 wheels and I’d honestly like to make them look great.

I looked up a few threads/videos on the repairs but they aren’t exactly what I’m looking for. My plan is to strip off the clear coat + paint, repair any rash/corrosion, and then repaint/polish and finally clear coat. Is this as easy as using Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover, doing a little bit of sanding, and finally spraying the spokes and polishing the lip? I don’t have months to be doing this, but really a few weeks. Just looking for advice. Thanks!
expect to drop 200 hours in it.
and I don't even want to think how hard it will be to work around the spokes all the time while refinishing the barrels.

there's no way to keep the diamond cut finish with home equipment, so you'd have to commit to just sanding out the whole lip and polishing it.
I'd do like I did on the inside and cover it in aluminum paint. screw sanding all the barrel smooth.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #6
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

The amount of effort required to DIY this properly is not worth saving $200 per wheel to get it done professionally in a few days.

Look at al the hassle nsjames went through...and is still going through.

Don’t get me wrong I’m all about doing things myself, but sometimes you just gotta ask yourself what is my time worth.
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1366.00
      03-26-2021, 11:45 PM   #7
Peter5498
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah these are all good points and really I’m not looking to throw too much money in since they’re in decent condition and I don’t even have the time right now.

Would peeling clear coat really screw up the aluminum and cause tons of corrosion if I live close to the ocean? Anybody know if just a clear coat stripper alone could help me out in this? These are my motives because I’m really not too antsy about the current condition of the aluminum itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Yeah these are all good points and really I’m not looking to throw too much money in since they’re in decent condition and I don’t even have the time right now.

Would peeling clear coat really screw up the aluminum and cause tons of corrosion if I live close to the ocean? Anybody know if just a clear coat stripper alone could help me out in this? These are my motives because I’m really not too antsy about the current condition of the aluminum itself.
I live no where near the coast and raw lips need polished monthly because they haze.

I'm trying sealant this year.

Basic MEK based paint stripper will not remove the factory clearcoat without aggressive wire wheeling that will destroy the diamond cut finish.

If you can find something that will decently strip the wheels chemically, then yeah, strip them and repaint them.
good luck. the factory clear coat is impressively chemical resistant.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1366.00
      04-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #9
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 02:41 AM   #10
Streetlegal13
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Any updates?
Here I am in 2023 looking for updates
Appreciate 0