E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Car Won’t Start After Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

01-10-2023, 10:26 PM   #1
Dohc120
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Car Won’t Start After Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

2011 BMW 335xi N55. So, on Sunday I did the valve cover, oil filter housing, and intake gaskets, as well as a new belt, coils and plugs, and removed and cleaned the vanos solenoids. This wasn’t my first time doing something like this. I have owned 12 BMW’s and have always done my own work. I got everything put back together and reconnected the battery and it fired up… for two seconds, and now just cranks forever and randomly will start for two seconds in which it has throttle response, but I can’t keep it running so it just dies.
I have check all vacuum lines, all connections, and basically re-ran through the entire job at least four times now.
I connected ISTA/D, and there are only unrelated fault codes (steering angle, and DCS). All modules are green, including the DME, besides the two related to the DCS and the Steering angle sensor.
I have also reset and relearned the valvetronic shaft.

Day two: I pulled the coils and plugs and tested each one individually for spark. They all work correctly, and they all smell like gas and were slightly wet with gas, so I know it’s getting fuel and spark. I also hooked up ISTA and checked the real-time fuel pump readings(voltage and pressure) and all are good. Also used the test function to run the pumps and everything there is normal as well. I’ll also throw in there that when it does run for like 5 seconds, it’s very smooth. The RPMs go to about 3-4000 and slowly drop to zero. I can pump the gas and get some reaction, but I cannot keep it running.

Can y’all think of anyhung I could try ? Any help is appreciated
      01-16-2023, 05:19 PM   #2
Sethorion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport LCI 6MT

Garage List
Complete guess but maybe a crank/cam position sensor?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 10:06 AM   #3
Dohc120
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethorion View Post
Complete guess but maybe a crank/cam position sensor?
Good guess, but wouldn’t they come up with a good code reader? I’m using ISTA/D so I’d assume it would be telling me. I just really can’t afford to willynilly throw parts at it. I did take out my cam sensors and tested them and they test fine. I haven’t touched the crank sensor tho