E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Comfort access stopped working / blowing fuse

07-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #23
rsyed07
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E92 13' 335is

Glad I found this thread. I'm going to check out the fuses in the trunk. But mine just started to fail. Key fob has a new battery. Key fob also unlocks and locks doors and can start the car without inserting the key into the slot. But my driver side door handle doesn't lock or unlock with CA.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 05:02 AM   #24
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Fuse 63 solved my issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #25
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS View Post
Fuse 63 solved my issue.

the 5 amp fuse? or something completely different?

Mines on the frits now, I have your REVERSE problem, I cant unlock with my handles but I can start with keyless.. FML this car has a demon.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #26
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp
Quote:
Fuse 63 solved my issue.

the 5 amp fuse? or something completely different?

Mines on the frits now, I have your REVERSE problem, I cant unlock with my handles but I can start with keyless.. FML this car has a demon.
How many handles are giving you the problem? Could be the handle itself. They are known to go faulty
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #27
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Both my handles, the drivers doesnt work at all, while the passenger-if it senses the key it just locks continuously till the 10x timeout, very annoying.

I tried putting my 335's handles on the X1, the passenger side works, the drivers side still no bueno, so i have to keep tracing it down.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 11:33 PM   #28
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

Just a little update on my problem, took it in to dealer, they diagnosed as driver handle, replaced and now are saying its the passenger handle (2 week wait time on part AGAIN).

When my comfort access completely stopped working, I had some smoke come up from the driver side door sill. I mentioned it to them and my own diagnostic is that perhaps it was the wiring between the passive module and the drivers handle shorting, ofcourse they completely ignore what i have to say.

Its quite frusterating for me since i have to return to stock when i take it to them, and now they give it back and say come back on two weeks. Hopefully they are right, but im guessing they will end up ordering more parts once they take the passenger handle out of the equation.

Anyway, ill be picking up the car tomorrow and chime back in if i have any new information to offer.

Thanks for the info, btw my fuse 63 keeps blowing instantly.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #29
saghezi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster

Comfort access only works after vehicle has been turned on

Once car is off for awhile it will stop working. This happened after I came back from long vacation. Anyone know the exact solution. Do the keys need reprogramming even though they work, in Transport mode, or Comfort access is disabled needs to be enabled?

2007 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #30
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
replaced passive go module still no change.

checked all fuses also, nothing.

replaced key fob battery again same problem.

car battery is also healthy.
Please educate me on replacing passive go module. Part #. Easy DIY?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #31
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Fuse 63 solved my issue.
But you checked your fuses.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 01:33 AM   #32
norulz
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 2010 DCT

so no idea whatsoever guys ? does anyone know if the comfort access needs to be programmed?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #33
av8ndoc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lemans Blue e90335 MSport

Garage List
2011 e90 335Xi  [0.00]
and where is Fuse 63?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:38 PM   #34
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...9&d=1539905743

you should be able to find it somewhere in the first two links
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #35
av8ndoc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lemans Blue e90335 MSport

Garage List
2011 e90 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...9&d=1539905743

you should be able to find it somewhere in the first two links
muchas gracias
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:05 AM   #36
Culichor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Sienna 11' 335is vert

Hello, I know this is OLD, but I like to share my experience with you, about a year ago I have the same situation as some of you, my comfort access stopped working at some point randomly, I have tried almost everything to fix it, on this forum and other forum without luck, I replaced the 2 door handles, the passive go box, replaced fuse even if they were fine, battery on the remote even a brand new from dealer car battery without luck, nothing works, so I stop wondering about just getting ready for this virus pass by to sale my car, last night I was looking at my phone and I saw the Carly app, I haven't use it in many month, so I open the app and it was a bit different interface from the last time, so I went to my car to try it out, after reading the car module it give to choose some backup I even didn’t know I have store in the app, so I choose the oldest backup the app was showing loaded the backup to reverse everything and recode the car looking for something new, well after the car was reset it ask me to restart the car, after that I remember the problem I have with the comfort access, so I tried it and it work like new, I am guessing some how Carly app mess up my car but thanks to the backup I was able to get my car back in business, my comfort access works perfectly, so now I will never use that app any more, I am not asking not to use it, but be very careful, I hope some of you get lucky fixing the car comfort access by resetting the car to a earlier stage. Saludos
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #37
346TEXAS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culichor View Post
Hello, I know this is OLD, but I like to share my experience with you, about a year ago I have the same situation as some of you, my comfort access stopped working at some point randomly, I have tried almost everything to fix it, on this forum and other forum without luck, I replaced the 2 door handles, the passive go box, replaced fuse even if they were fine, battery on the remote even a brand new from dealer car battery without luck, nothing works, so I stop wondering about just getting ready for this virus pass by to sale my car, last night I was looking at my phone and I saw the Carly app, I haven't use it in many month, so I open the app and it was a bit different interface from the last time, so I went to my car to try it out, after reading the car module it give to choose some backup I even didn’t know I have store in the app, so I choose the oldest backup the app was showing loaded the backup to reverse everything and recode the car looking for something new, well after the car was reset it ask me to restart the car, after that I remember the problem I have with the comfort access, so I tried it and it work like new, I am guessing some how Carly app mess up my car but thanks to the backup I was able to get my car back in business, my comfort access works perfectly, so now I will never use that app any more, I am not asking not to use it, but be very careful, I hope some of you get lucky fixing the car comfort access by resetting the car to a earlier stage. Saludos

Is it possible the Carly app cleared a code / reset the issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:58 PM   #38
Krivero9
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Did anyone come up with a solution to this? I also replaced #61 just to find that it blows instantly again. Haven't done the removing door handle method yet tho.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 07:18 PM   #39
Krivero9
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
HELLO FRIENDS!

I have a post a few months back from the same problem and I tore my car apart to check all things considered.

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204899

So I have figured out the most common problem with the CAS in our cars. Its the DOOR HANDLE. If you have a defective door handle it will SHORT OUT YOUR FUSES every time you try and activate it.

The best way to test this theory is:

1. Go buy 10 5amp fuses
2. Remove both driver/passenger handles and open your trunk without using the key fob. (if that works continue) Now you know your trunk works.

3. Replace passenger handle test out the comfort access - try starting the car without inserting key. (if that works continue) Passenger handle works.

4. REMOVE PASSENGER HANDLE again -and CONNECT the drivers handle - start car with out key. Now you know your drivers handle works.

5. Replace both handles and test keyless start. If the keyless start doesnt work at either of these steps odds are the fuse blew and that saves you time from checking constantly.

If you do all this and it does not blow the fuse, it is an actuator in one of your doors, hug your wallet and say good bye as you drop your car off to be "repaired".

This will help you narrow down what caused your short.

It is a KNOWN fact that the drivers handle is usually the culprit.

If you find a defective peace, you can just unplug it and your keyless start and other handles will work just fine with out it. You'll just be dealing with a first world problem until you pony up for the repairs.

Hey! I took a picture of this post for future testing and it led me to find my CA issue in my 09 E92, which turned out to be a passenger handle and I disconnected it for now until I get a new one. Big thanks!! Been without CA for 2 years before I decided to try and find the issue. It started when I was taking a really hard turn and ended up disconnecting the negative from the battery, somehow made the handle short out. BIG THANKS
Appreciate 1
thestimp972.00
      09-27-2021, 10:00 AM   #40
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krivero9 View Post
Hey! I took a picture of this post for future testing and it led me to find my CA issue in my 09 E92, which turned out to be a passenger handle and I disconnected it for now until I get a new one. Big thanks!! Been without CA for 2 years before I decided to try and find the issue. It started when I was taking a really hard turn and ended up disconnecting the negative from the battery, somehow made the handle short out. BIG THANKS
Hey i have a similar issue. I noticed i was getting some battery errors and electrical errors pop up when i was taking sharp turns (only for couple of days). I thought the battery was on its way out since i haven't changed it ever so i changed it recently. Before i changed it i smelled electrical burning in the car. i changed the battery maybe a week or two after having the errors pop up. The problem i have w CA is that the fuse 61 keeps burning out. It seems like my problem might be similar to yours. How did you diagnose it and disconnect the handle , is there a video for it? BTw i drive a 1m but i don't think that should matter from any other e82.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 10:12 AM   #41
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post
Fuse 63 solved my issue.
dont you mean 61? thats what i have burning out and thats for the door handles on the diagram
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #42
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you have to replace handles, fuse, check the module and the reset errors in the module
      12-28-2022, 10:45 PM   #43
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Both my handles, the drivers doesnt work at all, while the passenger-if it senses the key it just locks continuously till the 10x timeout, very annoying.

I tried putting my 335's handles on the X1, the passenger side works, the drivers side still no bueno, so i have to keep tracing it down.
Hey there old thread but I'm hunting a similar comfort access issue and your the first one who seems to have the closest symptoms I had. I even replaced the driver handle and it seemed to work for some time but also had it continuously lock and time out and then one day stopped working. Reading this thread got to check my fuses but have you ever found the culprit of your issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 11:31 PM   #44
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Hey there old thread but I'm hunting a similar comfort access issue and your the first one who seems to have the closest symptoms I had. I even replaced the driver handle and it seemed to work for some time but also had it continuously lock and time out and then one day stopped working. Reading this thread got to check my fuses but have you ever found the culprit of your issue?
My issue was the module where the battery is , sometimes water gets in there. The module and the styrofoam got infused together after the short. I found the module on eBay for like $50 , replaced it and it worked.
Appreciate 1