E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Central Electrical Failure, a module not function somewhere

08-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
nate93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

Central Electrical Failure, a module not function somewhere

I have a 2011 E93 N55. I have this intermitten modules blackout recently after the car was not being driven and battery on trickle charger for a bit.

One time, I heard a weird click when I hooked up the trickle charger, so I think it could be the cause that led to this issue. The weird click might be a sound of a relay.

After that, the car would randomly show the "central electronic failure" sign, and 21 out of 24 modules disappear shortly after. Instrument Cluster, CIC, CAS (although I could still start the car by pressing the button twice), window power, trunk not unlocking, etc.. are completely dead. I cannot get the car to go to sleep.

I checked the voltage of my battery: with the car off = ~12.4V and running ~13.6 Volt.

I thought it is my JBE module going bad since it controls the power of a great number of other modules, and that is why I am seeing others are being affected.
I replaced it, coded it into my car, the problem seems less but still present.

A module going bad somewhere? or BUS?
Name:  Screenshot (12).png
Views: 859
Size:  144.4 KB
Name:  Screenshot (13).png
Views: 862
Size:  125.1 KB

What do y'all think? Anyone experienced this before? Any guidances will be appreciated!!

RESOLVED! turned out it was a rear camera module emulator that is shorted. Tips for anyone who experience similar problem, you should have a look at your CAN BUS with an oscilloscope.

Last edited by nate93; 08-23-2020 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 09:06 AM   #2
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Thanks for posting the resolution. I have a similar intermittent CID 207 error (red car on a lift indicator) and have been thinking about replacing my JBE as well. How do you use an oscilloscope to check the CAN bus?