E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2007 328xi not fully going into drive

01-06-2023, 06:20 AM   #1
Jtdellam
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2007

2007 328xi not fully going into drive

I have an 07 328xi with 118k miles on it… The other night I was driving, pulled into a parking lot, did a 3 point turn and went to leave the parking lot.

When I shifted into drive, however, the car didn’t seem to completely go into drive…it seemed to be running rough and it was as if the engine wasn’t entirely connected with the transmission. Shifted back into park, and then into drive again and it had no issues at all.

This happens sometimes in reverse, but it was the first time it happened in drive. I can’t pick out really any patterns with this….any ideas as to what this is and how to prevent it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 08:55 AM   #2
Fireball5657
German Car Caregiver
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtdellam View Post
I have an 07 328xi with 118k miles on it… The other night I was driving, pulled into a parking lot, did a 3 point turn and went to leave the parking lot.

When I shifted into drive, however, the car didn’t seem to completely go into drive…it seemed to be running rough and it was as if the engine wasn’t entirely connected with the transmission. Shifted back into park, and then into drive again and it had no issues at all.

This happens sometimes in reverse, but it was the first time it happened in drive. I can’t pick out really any patterns with this….any ideas as to what this is and how to prevent it?

Thanks!
You should get a second opinion, but to me that sounds like you have low fluid pressure. That's usually caused either by old fluid or low fluid level. I would recommend changing the transmission fluid and filter, especially if the fluid has never been changed before. If done right, you'll have newer, thicker fluid and your overall fluid level should be correct. I did my trans fluid and filter myself on my 2011 328i with the GM transmission at 98k miles, the fluid that came out was as brown as engine oil and had the viscosity of water. After I changed it and filled it to the proper amount, engaging gears became smoother, shifting when driving became much smoother, and overall it felt almost like new.
Appreciate 0