E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > XI Initial Impressions

01-25-2023, 01:53 PM   #23
casdm9901
Rep
Drives: '06 325xi Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorovo View Post
I just got my car last year, any other questions?
Not any specific ones right now but I really do appreciate the feedback. I’ve found a few things that may help. Give those a shot and see if I can get it how I want it.

AWD Addict - just giving you a little crap. I know it’s annoying to see the same thing posted over and over again. Believe it or not I have been doing quite a bit of reading. I read through and saved your thread on the suspension upgrades. Lots of great info on there - thank you. Sometimes though it helps to get a fresh perspective on things since a lot of the threads I have found are several years old.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 03:26 PM   #24
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittz1 View Post
The effort to type this at your age must of been exhausting.
I had to take a nap. Just woke up.

Now I'm tired again.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2023, 03:38 PM   #25
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by casdm9901 View Post
Sorry to offend your sensitive nature. I will stick to reading threads from 2017..
I've owned this car since 2008. I'm pretty sure the posts on "is AWD good compared to RWD?", which are in the hundreds at least, from 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020 and 2023 have failed to produce anything new since.

This thread included.

Waaaah it's heavier.
Waaah front suspension.
Waaah M3 components.
Waaaah snow tires are the same.

There are 100 responses required to just the page posted so far. But why bother regurgitating? It's all been covered 200 times. I'll give you the cliff's notes:

* You can put all M3 components on the rear, not front.
* The car's only a couple hundred pounds more. You'd think it was towing a cement truck by many of the comments here. It's also sprung weight, and very low on the center of gravity. It's just not a big deal.
* There are a number of front suspension options available to solve for the rake, still drive well, and heavily reviewed here.
* The x-delete is cool, but the car is effectively RWD for most conditions that aren't just-cruising anyways, so the RWD element that makes a BMW feel like a BMW is mostly present.
* You don't need to have snow for the xdrive to be a meaningful benefit. In wet conditions (or the dreaded wet leaves in autumn), it's a huge benefit.
* You can kick the ass out all you like with the push of a button (it's right in the middle of the dash). If you want to fishtail, punch it with DSC off, or even DTC on. My car with full traction control on has zero understeer, and one push of the DSC button, and I'll oversteer more than is necessary, never mind with it all off.
* Anyone telling you RWD with snows on is anything like AWD in real inclement weather, is nuts. I'd rather be on A/S tires in snow, than RWD with snows on. I run both, because dominating weather tickles me, and I live in the hills.
* Anyone telling you that an X3 or X5 is better than a 3 series in snow is wrong, and doesn't understand how center of gravity affects traction. The ground clearance comments are stupid, because snow is soft. I drive in 8" of snow all the time, and I'm lowered with a front lip. Its fine.
* The real xi sacrifice is the front suspension's piston travel, which means once lowered, there's less distance to dampen.
* The oil pan is wonky. It's not a big deal. It still works fine.
* There are more moving parts, so inevitably there will be a risk of higher maintenance (transfer case, front diff, etc).
* Front diff, while pretty durable even with upgraded power, isn't upgradable due to space/configuration. It's one of my biggest pet peeves, but it's not fatal, and not stopping people from getting great power to all 4 wheels.

In the end, it's all about taste. An automobile is a tool, and you need to decide what tool is best for the job. This platform is basically a swiss army knife, and can do anything from drag to road racing, daily driving, weekend warrior, etc. For me, I don't get infinite snow, but the AWD is a must for me in Boston. If I lived in the sunbelt, I'd probably be RWD. If I were a grand touring racer, I'd probably still lean AWD, but it'd probably be a toss up once each options mods were accounted for.

I'm out of breath. I'm going to take another nap.

Run some searches, you'll learn more, and learn it faster. The "do a search" comments arent because people are lazy, it because you're going to get more information way more quickly if you make a little effort and run some searches for your specific issue.

Welcome to the forum. This place is a great resource for a great platform.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 01-25-2023 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 4
      01-25-2023, 04:34 PM   #26
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Maybe we'd feel the same if we were running 300-450 horsepower in n54 xdrive

Last edited by Suvorovo; 01-25-2023 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2023, 11:41 PM   #27
Cyril Sneer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/4/5 / E91

Interesting post. You make many good points. But I gotta say I disagree with at least as many as I agree with.

Opinions are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I've owned this car since 2008. I'm pretty sure the posts on "is AWD good compared to RWD?", which are in the hundreds at least, from 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020 and 2023 have failed to produce anything new since.

This thread included.

Waaaah it's heavier.
Waaah front suspension.
Waaah M3 components.
Waaaah snow tires are the same.

There are 100 responses required to just the page posted so far. But why bother regurgitating? It's all been covered 200 times. I'll give you the cliff's notes:

* You can put all M3 components on the rear, not front.
* The car's only a couple hundred pounds more. You'd think it was towing a cement truck by many of the comments here. It's also sprung weight, and very low on the center of gravity. It's just not a big deal.
* There are a number of front suspension options available to solve for the rake, still drive well, and heavily reviewed here.
* The x-delete is cool, but the car is effectively RWD for most conditions that aren't just-cruising anyways, so the RWD element that makes a BMW feel like a BMW is mostly present.
* You don't need to have snow for the xdrive to be a meaningful benefit. In wet conditions (or the dreaded wet leaves in autumn), it's a huge benefit.
* You can kick the ass out all you like with the push of a button (it's right in the middle of the dash). If you want to fishtail, punch it with DSC off, or even DTC on. My car with full traction control on has zero understeer, and one push of the DSC button, and I'll oversteer more than is necessary, never mind with it all off.
* Anyone telling you RWD with snows on is anything like AWD in real inclement weather, is nuts. I'd rather be on A/S tires in snow, than RWD with snows on. I run both, because dominating weather tickles me, and I live in the hills.
* Anyone telling you that an X3 or X5 is better than a 3 series in snow is wrong, and doesn't understand how center of gravity affects traction. The ground clearance comments are stupid, because snow is soft. I drive in 8" of snow all the time, and I'm lowered with a front lip. Its fine.
* The real xi sacrifice is the front suspension's piston travel, which means once lowered, there's less distance to dampen.
* The oil pan is wonky. It's not a big deal. It still works fine.
* There are more moving parts, so inevitably there will be a risk of higher maintenance (transfer case, front diff, etc).
* Front diff, while pretty durable even with upgraded power, isn't upgradable due to space/configuration. It's one of my biggest pet peeves, but it's not fatal, and not stopping people from getting great power to all 4 wheels.

In the end, it's all about taste. An automobile is a tool, and you need to decide what tool is best for the job. This platform is basically a swiss army knife, and can do anything from drag to road racing, daily driving, weekend warrior, etc. For me, I don't get infinite snow, but the AWD is a must for me in Boston. If I lived in the sunbelt, I'd probably be RWD. If I were a grand touring racer, I'd probably still lean AWD, but it'd probably be a toss up once each options mods were accounted for.

I'm out of breath. I'm going to take another nap.

Run some searches, you'll learn more, and learn it faster. The "do a search" comments arent because people are lazy, it because you're going to get more information way more quickly if you make a little effort and run some searches for your specific issue.

Welcome to the forum. This place is a great resource for a great platform.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 09:11 PM   #28
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Hello everyone; new to this forum. I just recently purchased my first AWD BMW and I’m curious to know everyone’s initial thoughts on yours when you first bought it and whether that changed over time. There are a few things I really like about it but most of the time it feels like I’m wrestling an alligator.

I’ve got an ‘06 E91 325 6MT with a couple sets of wheels. I’ve owned several 3 Series in the past (E36, E46, E90) but all were RWD. The suspension is stock and in good shape so I’m pretty sure it’s the crappy RFTs I have on it now (see below). Any thoughts?

When I first test drove it and bought it style 220s were on it with Michelin PSS’s. I had no real issues with it but did think the steering was much stiffer than expected. I didn’t drive it much after purchase when I took those tires/rims off to get them refinished and put on the 18’s with RFTs so it’s hard to tell for sure if it’s the tires or I just don’t like the AWD. It can be really squirrelly at times. There are times when I’m driving it and it’s downright scary - especially hitting a pothole going 60+ MPH. I guess I’m going to have to get the 220s back on after they are refinished and find out for sure.
Thought I'd give my two cents as I have a e90 x drive for 6 years now. It's been my daily.
The x drive is great. I am stage 2+ fbo. Without xdrive, there is no way I'd be able to to put full power down for the first couple of gears, it's a rocker off the line once the turbos spool. It does not feel heavy with the extra weight of x drive. I am lowered on ST coilovers for 6 years as well. The car is low and i drive it all winter in Canada.
For summer I run 235 35 r19 fronts and 275,30 r19 in the rears. Feels super stable at high speeds as well.

My negatives: yes the steering rack is slower than I would like but nothing you can do about it. A rwd model rack will not fit.
Oil pan gasket is a big job to replace, mine has a slow leak and i will just let it be until it gets worse.
The front suspension is also a bit harsher on bumps vs a rwd model due to the extra weight of x drive up front.

I have not tried x-delete yet but I might soon. Not to turn of x drive but to send more power to the rear vs the front, they have some nice preset modes. Any questions feel free to ask.
Attached Images

02-14-2023, 08:26 AM   #29
Cyril Sneer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/4/5 / E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
I have not tried x-delete yet but I might soon. Not to turn of x drive but to send more power to the rear vs the front, they have some nice preset modes. Any questions feel free to ask.
One comment and one question:

Comment: I suggest you go through with your plan re: xdelete. My experience with stock xDrive was very different than what another poster bolded above. Xdelete custom setting was the antidote. I tried, but didn't love, their preset modes and ended up on a custom setting in between and have left it there ever since.

And a question - tell us about ST coils after 6 years of winter torture. I have a set I still need to put on. Comments on the forum etc would have you believe they'll be fine ... or, they'll immediately rot off.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 11:35 AM   #30
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril Sneer View Post
One comment and one question:

Comment: I suggest you go through with your plan re: xdelete. My experience with stock xDrive was very different than what another poster bolded above. Xdelete custom setting was the antidote. I tried, but didn't love, their preset modes and ended up on a custom setting in between and have left it there ever since.

And a question - tell us about ST coils after 6 years of winter torture. I have a set I still need to put on. Comments on the forum etc would have you believe they'll be fine ... or, they'll immediately rot off.
Yes iv heard the custom settings are great also. May have to try that.

They have been totally fine. 6+ years of salt and cold winters. The threads are kinda corroded but once you have the desired ride height and alignment, you never move them. No clunks or rattles either.
My only grip (this may be for all coil overs) once it gets around -20c the ride is very hard.
ST coil overs are the same as KW V1 without the galvanized threads. Made in Germany also.
      02-14-2023, 08:11 PM   #31
casdm9901
Rep
Drives: '06 325xi Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Thought I'd give my two cents as I have a e90 x drive for 6 years now. It's been my daily.
The x drive is great. I am stage 2+ fbo. Without xdrive, there is no way I'd be able to to put full power down for the first couple of gears, it's a rocker off the line once the turbos spool. It does not feel heavy with the extra weight of x drive. I am lowered on ST coilovers for 6 years as well. The car is low and i drive it all winter in Canada.
For summer I run 235 35 r19 fronts and 275,30 r19 in the rears. Feels super stable at high speeds as well.

My negatives: yes the steering rack is slower than I would like but nothing you can do about it. A rwd model rack will not fit.
Oil pan gasket is a big job to replace, mine has a slow leak and i will just let it be until it gets worse.
The front suspension is also a bit harsher on bumps vs a rwd model due to the extra weight of x drive up front.

Thank you for the feedback and it looks great for such a harsh environment!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 10:31 PM   #32
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback and it looks great for such a harsh environment!
It is a little harsh, but the stance is so perfect that makes it worth it for me. My wife does not enjoy riding in my car lol.
      02-18-2023, 10:36 AM   #33
Ariakas
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Yes iv heard the custom settings are great also. May have to try that.

They have been totally fine. 6+ years of salt and cold winters. The threads are kinda corroded but once you have the desired ride height and alignment, you never move them. No clunks or rattles either.
My only grip (this may be for all coil overs) once it gets around -20c the ride is very hard.
ST coil overs are the same as KW V1 without the galvanized threads. Made in Germany also.
Just to add to this, I've had mine for close to 6 yrs too, threads are rusted however I was still able to adjust them last year as I raised my front 20mm and balanced all 4 corners so levelled with proper rake. Sprayed a bunch of lube and let it really soak before attempting to adjust. Overall still rides really well and looks better as not as slammed now plus less of a snow plow during winter lol...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 10:50 AM   #34
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Just to add to this, I've had mine for close to 6 yrs too, threads are rusted however I was still able to adjust them last year as I raised my front 20mm and balanced all 4 corners so levelled with proper rake. Sprayed a bunch of lube and let it really soak before attempting to adjust. Overall still rides really well and looks better as not as slammed now plus less of a snow plow during winter lol...
Great to hear! I'm sure I could move mine if I did the same. My ride height is good In the summer with 19s on. With 18s it is a little lower than I'd like but I'm not about to adjust the height + alignment twice a year haha. Maybe next set I won't do quite as low.