E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Is there an underseat subwoofer(s) that runs well off the stock/oem amp?

01-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #1
shutterbug67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i sport

Is there an underseat subwoofer(s) that runs well off the stock/oem amp?

Is there an underseat subwoofer(s) that runs well off the stock/oem amp? I have decided to go with the BAV stage one fronts and would like something to kind of compliment those and not have to worry about adding an aftermarket amplifier for my front end. And then add some kind of sub/amp combo for the rear cargo area of my e91 wagon. I really don't want to have to add an amp to the vehicle just to run those undersea subs... If there is not anything out there, I will probably just leave them as they are and add the sub/amp combo in the rear later.

Last edited by shutterbug67; 01-13-2015 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Not really. Since you have a wagon, in a simple system like that you can just let the aftermarket subwoofer handle some of the mid-bass and not have to worry about the underseats. Will it be perfect? No, but since you are not even amping the fronts, this solution should suffice.

Just do some research on which sub/enclosure combination will play to about 100 - 120Hz. I don't think you will need more than 300W unless you want the sub to be able to severely overpower the fronts.

You can always upgrade the underseats at a later point and put an amp on them if necessary, but it sounds like you don't want to get too crazy.
      01-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Nothing that came across my research, most of those options risk frying the stock amp. I bought a used small 2 channel amp so it only drives the 2 underseat woofers. Very happy overall with the improvement in bass.
      01-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
shutterbug67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Nothing that came across my research, most of those options risk frying the stock amp. I bought a used small 2 channel amp so it only drives the 2 underseat woofers. Very happy overall with the improvement in bass.
What would be a good 2 channel amp for this application? and what can I expect to spend?
BTW, if I add the aftermarket underseat subs, are the earthquakes the best option in this $200 range? I remember reading some good things about the Rockford Fosgate Helix also?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #5
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Don't know how much space you have in a wagon for a sub other than under the seats but I have the SWS's and a pretty solid Rockford amp, technics harness etc and while it was a fun install and completely hidden, the results are just ok. It gets "louder" and there's more bottom end but it's sloppy. No matter where you cross it over or how you balance gain or equalize it, it's not tight. If I had to do all over again I would get an enclosure with a single sub built to tuck in one of the corners and be done with it.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

SWS-8s are not mid bass speakers

SWS-8s are not mid bass speakers
The Jehnerts are the best under seats but they around 500 bucks a set.
The next thing down that will do mid bass is Gladen or Helix.
There are the German Masteros but those are around 1k a set I think,
and require modification of the enclosures.
If you are not into thump the above may be enough for you,
if you amp it correctly .
I would stay with the amps that have been proven here
Jl audio , Arc Audio , Alpine PDX , Mosconi and maybe Helix.
Appreciate 0