E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 Squeaking after handbrake release

10-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
AFGauci90
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 62 F30 320i XDrive

Garage List
E92 Squeaking after handbrake release

I have searched the internet & forums for days trying to find this exact problem but have failed.

If theres any links to this exact issue I apologise in advance.

The issue:
After the car is parked for anything longer than an hour or so, I go to drive it and release the handbrake, as soon as I do this I get a high-pitched squeal for the first 20-30 yards whilst rolling off, then it's fine. Sounds like it comes from the rear underneath of the car. (Note: this only happens after the car is parked on a downward facing slope no matter how minor)

Best way to describe the noise it makes is comparable to when you brake with very low pads and get that high-pitched squeal.

I had BMW Guildford look at it, they claimed to have fixed it, but were wrong as it happened again as soon as I drove away from the dealership. I took it back the next day and all they said was 'It is caused by a combination of the rear discs, pads and brake shoes' and that 'I will need to get them all replaced'. No more info as to why these components (which all have plenty of life in them) are causing this issue.

Being that BMW are notorious for squeaks and squeals, I have found info on plenty of other noise issues but not this one.

Was curious if anyone else has experienced this and can shed some light.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 05:38 AM   #2
maxoutput
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 2005

Sounds lik the rear brake shoe adjustment is incorrect and the shoes are dragging or the shoes have been in there for the life of the car and the self adjusters need lubing or the shoes changing .

The shoes are hidden inside the disc Bell and the only way to inspect them properly is to remove the disc. That would be the next move if you don’t know how old the shoes are, if the shoes have been replaced they may need slight adjustment or the adjusters lubing up.

How may clicks are you getting on the handbrake ?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
AFGauci90
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxoutput View Post
Sounds lik the rear brake shoe adjustment is incorrect and the shoes are dragging or the shoes have been in there for the life of the car and the self adjusters need lubing or the shoes changing .

The shoes are hidden inside the disc Bell and the only way to inspect them properly is to remove the disc. That would be the next move if you don’t know how old the shoes are, if the shoes have been replaced they may need slight adjustment or the adjusters lubing up.

How may clicks are you getting on the handbrake ?
Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure the shoes have been on there since new, I got it last year at only 18k miles, now got 32k on it.

I just checked and I get 6 clicks, what do the clicks suggest?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
maxoutput
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 2005

Hi

The clicks may suggest that the handbrakes have been slightly over adjusted and the cable is a little tight . From memory my e90 has around 7-8 clicks.

The following link may help with adjustment

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech..._Adjusting.htm
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
Benskett
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D LCI

Mine was sticking. Stripped it and replaced all the moving parts and greased everything up. Sorted.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
AFGauci90
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
All helpful info, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Nel2014
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Is it also worth checking the disc guards just to make sure nothing is rubbing there as well
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #8
Chri5J4
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I had a very similar problem, it turned out to be rear left pads were almost ceased on to the disc. I have also had a number of issues with my hand brake. I've had to adjust it 12 clicks out, in order to stop it from sticking. I've replaced the cable, stripped both sides back, re-adjusted cable and re-assembled everything.

Only issue since, the hand brake lever can switch from feeling too slack to very tight at random. Cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
Nel2014
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Mine does that sometimes, I have no idea why 🤔
Appreciate 0