E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Front bumper f****d, what are my options?

04-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
N57
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325D M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 325D  [0.00]
Front bumper f****d, what are my options?

So basically, the previous owner of my car seemed to bodge every job he did.

The cars history comes across clean (on paper). However the front bumper has had its good share of beating. When I bought the car there was a gap between the bumper and the fender. The car scrapes horribly going over a speed bump at low speeds. After trying to fix the alignment problem there seems to be a good bit of "diy" been done to the bumper. The arch liner is cable tided together, whilst there is a missing bracket guide which is supposed to holds the bumper to the fender. A cable tie holds it together.

A month back I parked the front too close to the curb. So when reversing out of the space the n/s of the bumper gave way. This was caused due to a rip at the bottom of the bumper which "clawed" against the curb.

I tried to fix the problem however without the part (looks a bit like this https://designerbeema.com/wp-content...17900761-2.jpg ) I had to simplify cable tie it again (photo will show). I couldn't fix the underside of the bumper tho.

The same thing happened today. Parked right up to the curb then reversed out and the n/s is literally hanging off by a cable tie and screws to the arch liner. (Photos will show)

Now due to the current situation with the world, my funds are tight. What is the best way to fix this.
1) buy a 9/10 condition OEM bumper off eBay for £250-£350. Pay a body shop to colour code the bumper?
2) Buy an aftermarket bumper and get it colour coded
3) try fix it again

Ideally I want option 3, however I've tried what I could to fix it. Any advice?
Car is E92 LCI M sport
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Stop hitting curbs with it would be step #1. As for your options, 1, 2 or 3...why is this even a question for the world to answer? You said money is tight, so do the cheapest repair possible until your circumstances improve.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
N57
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Stop hitting curbs with it would be step #1. As for your options, 1, 2 or 3...why is this even a question for the world to answer? You said money is tight, so do the cheapest repair possible until your circumstances improve.
Because the bumper might be beyond repairable since I've already tried to repair it before, if you actually read the post properly. I also ask what's the best way to fix the bumper.

As for your comment about hitting curbs, sometimes you have to tuck the car into the space so 1/4 of the car doesn't stick out. I don't go intentionally hitting curbs
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeceu8 View Post
Because the bumper might be beyond repairable since I've already tried to repair it before, if you actually read the post properly. I also ask what's the best way to fix the bumper.

As for your comment about hitting curbs, sometimes you have to tuck the car into the space so 1/4 of the car doesn't stick out. I don't go intentionally hitting curbs
I can't say for sure but if we're focusing on the side you've just pulled out for the photo this should be an easy fix depending on whether or not the part that the screw goes into is okay, personally if the holes are still there then I'd just use washers with the 8mm bolts to hold the sides of the front bumper in place.

As for scraping and what not is this an M Sport? If so I'd say get used to it, it's not nice but I suppose you tailor your driving to deal with it.. Say if there's a high speed bump you can put your car at a slight angle so the right or left wheel goes up first and thats usually more than enough to avoid the scrape.. I honestly don't struggle with kerb situations as I 99.9% of the time reverse into every space and the rear and exhaust cleares them no issues. But yeah looking at the bumper pics if the mounting section under the arch liner is still okay i'd use washers so it can grab the plastic bumper as the 8mm gets tightened down.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
I can't say for sure but if we're focusing on the side you've just pulled out for the photo this should be an easy fix depending on whether or not the part that the screw goes into is okay, personally if the holes are still there then I'd just use washers with the 8mm bolts to hold the sides of the front bumper in place.

As for scraping and what not is this an M Sport? If so I'd say get used to it, it's not nice but I suppose you tailor your driving to deal with it.. Say if there's a high speed bump you can put your car at a slight angle so the right or left wheel goes up first and thats usually more than enough to avoid the scrape.. I honestly don't struggle with kerb situations as I 99.9% of the time reverse into every space and the rear and exhaust cleares them no issues. But yeah looking at the bumper pics if the mounting section under the arch liner is still okay i'd use washers so it can grab the plastic bumper as the 8mm gets tightened down.
Ditto. I used new bolts, washers and nuts to secure a bumper like this on a friends E90
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
N57
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325D  [0.00]
Cheers for the replies. The damage seems a little worse than what it was before. The screw fasteners (yellow circle) have disappeared. Will look into getting some 8mm bolts and washers from eBay.
I've attached a few photos however will get some clearer ones later
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Cheers for the replies. The damage seems a little worse than what it was before. The screw fasteners (yellow circle) have disappeared. Will look into getting some 8mm bolts and washers from eBay.
I've attached a few photos however will get some clearer ones later
I believe the screws are part number: 07119901299

I don't have an undertray fitted to my car so I don't have any screws attached for the bottom of the bumper but the screws on the top (big allen key ones) and the right and left sides (as shown in your first pics) hold it pretty solid, I've had some rare occasions of reversing off a kerb but nothing happens with the top screws in place. Be good to get some better pics as well, given all the information it's almost asif the bumper was ripped off
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

the nuts/pieces that the screws screw into on the bottom undertray are still there on the screw above your bumper I bet. They just ripped out of the plastic undertray.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
N57
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325D  [0.00]
I'll take some proper photos tomorrow, I've ordered a couple a bits for the bumper as-well as a wheel bolt key which should come midweek. Hopefully the bits which the screw goes in are still there.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #10
N57
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325D  [0.00]
So weathers nice today took apart the bumper etc, the rip doesn't seem as bad as I thought (or made it out to be), although the bottom of the bumper is fked. From underneath it was evident the undertrays arch liner etc weren't put back on properly. Now number 2 on the photo, what is this tray thing? Is it for the intercooler tray? And which way does it screw back on to as (2) has no screw holes.

Unless 2 goes tucks above 1.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #11
N54_e90
Don
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335xi Family Sedan

Jeez just get a new bumper dude. That one is torn to shit. Look at some M3 replicas or you can get an aftermarket OEM for $100 + paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #12
N57
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazythedon View Post
Jeez just get a new bumper dude. That one is torn to shit. Look at some M3 replicas or you can get an aftermarket OEM for $100 + paint.
Unfortunately in the UK it's a bit more mate, you're looking £300 for an aftermarket M Sport style bumper (I personally think it's the E92 bumper in terms of looks) + paint. You can get a used one starting from £150 but they look like they've been to Afghan and back so will need to be refurbished
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #13
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately in the UK it's a bit more mate, you're looking £300 for an aftermarket M Sport style bumper (I personally think it's the E92 bumper in terms of looks) + paint. You can get a used one starting from £150 but they look like they've been to Afghan and back so will need to be refurbished

The bottom of the bumper in my opinion can be in what ever state but I wouldn't care because its almost inevitable to not scuff the life out of it lol. The holes for the bolts on the bumper are cracked granted, but a couple of £'s and a few washers later you'll never look back at this bumper again, if all goes to plan it will look and hold perfectly fine and have saved a lot of money to invest in other areas.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #14
N57
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325D  [0.00]
I've got the bumper fitted back to the bumper as best as I can with the existing hardware. I did order some 8mil screws but it's delayed in the post by a few days and didn't want to wait. Fitted some new headlight washer covers as well.

I have a feeling the bumper isn't OEM, there was an odd OEM adapter piece which after some research looks like it's used on pre lci cars or something. Anyways here are the pics. The empty holes had missing screw holder things

Cheers for all the help lads, I do appreciate it !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0