E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Help and info needed please

04-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #1
drew 007
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M Sport

Help and info needed please

Hello Fellas, I’m looking for some help and info on a car I’ve seen for sale in Derby.

I appreciate with what’s going on at the moment with people not meant to be Socializing etc it’s going to be very difficult but ideally I’m looking for somebody that bored and could spare there free hour a day to come and view this said car with me again. I’ve been today to view the car but it had a flat battery and we all know how much bmw’s like a flat battery! we did get it started via a jump but to many problems was coming up on Carly as said above I know when bmws suffer “any” battery problems they through all sorts of codes at you.

So, sorry I’m looking for anybody round the Derby area that knows there way round bmw’s and handy with a code reader! To give up an hour of there time to make sure I don’t go and buy a lemon!! It would be really really appreciated.

Kind regards,

Andrew.

Ps, this is the car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392748331402
      04-07-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

Personally I’d walk away, and any reputable garage would have insurance to cover damage to cars on their premises (windscreen in this instance) and should have been sorted by them as they had custody (and by virtue) responsibility for it. Also I’d be dubious about the mileage given the age of car unless there’s a stack of MOTs that match each year and also the maintenance to back it up. Seems a long list of “needs fixing” doesn’t relate to the alleged condition in my mind.

Well done for asking for assistance etc however I just don’t see this as essential travel or reason to go visit it in the current climate. It’s not like it’s going to become your daily driver the moment you buy it from what I read in the write up and what you’ve mentioned
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
drew 007
Private
Rep

Yes I totally agree with regards to sorting his screen out but I got the feeling a “mate” had done the job for him so didn’t want to go down insurance route? Who knows?

I did check the mileage on Carly but it was in kms but it worked out right to miles and the online gov mot history checker also verifies this.

Totally agree with the condition statement buddy the car has been stood for some time so again this won’t help matters. For the price I don’t mind a little project.

And yes again totally agree with you buddy it’s not essential travel at all and I wouldn’t be asking likes of yourself to travel down from Bonny Scotland it was more anybody local to Derby that knows there bmw’s that wouldn’t mind helping out I would pay for there time and supply mask/gloves/hand sanitizer etc.. as said I just didn’t want to buy a shitter.

I have got the codes from Carly today on my phone.

Last edited by drew 007; 04-07-2020 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

I think in my mind with the age of car is the likelihood of some expensive items coming round soon that could turn it into an expensive project, I suppose in that respect it’s how hands on you are or if your cars always go to a garage. If it goes cheap enough given the mileage verification you’ve managed to do then it could turn out to be a nice motor. You must factor in all outstanding repair costs to the purchase price and ask if it would’ve been easier to buy a more sorted car for that same amount. I wouldn’t entertain unless you’d considered adding some form of warranty after purchase as bills can hit 4 figures in the blink of an eye.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
drew 007
Private
Rep

I’m not looking for an expensive project truth be told I don’t mind doing work myself as I’ve never used garages I’m not shy with the spanners just not so good the computer, odb readers, code side of things which with these cars you really need to be. (If your in trouble)

Yeah I just wanted somebody to tell me to walk away!! Haha il just have to wait and see as the spec and mileage are a big bonus but not if the rest of the car isn’t up to much!!

Last edited by drew 007; 04-07-2020 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Weird car that mate, have you seen the MOT history, or more importantly the mileage between them? Given the looks of the car it does look so nice on the outside, but then it has a flat battery coupled with so little miles I'd wonder whether there's a been an issue with the car over the years that's prevented them from driving it much. The guy has had a few things replaced and forked out for a new timing chain yet its still in this neglected state, personally I just think there's a few things that immediately would make me wonder about what I'm buying here, if it's an absolute bargain then great, otherwise if you can get one for around £500/£1000 more I'd probably go with that instead. Just my two pence mate but props to you for asking for advice, I'd certainly continue to do that while you're planning to buy just to minimise any regrets.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #7
drew 007
Private
Rep

It certainly is a weird one the guy has had the car two years and never been on a motorway with it? It’s just a shame I can’t read codes as it did bring up quite a few!!
I’m Thinking Maybe he bought the car cheap because of a problem or two and has never got the bottom of the problem (or two) fixing things along the way.. Shame really.

Il just have to see what comes up in the coming weeks as it was perfectly priced for me.

Kind regards,

Andrew.
      04-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #8
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew 007 View Post
It certainly is a weird one the guy has had the car two years and never been on a motorway with it? It’s just a shame I can’t read codes as it did bring up quite a few!!
I’m Thinking Maybe he bought the car cheap because of a problem or two and has never got the bottom of the problem (or two) fixing things along the way.. Shame really.

Il just have to see what comes up in the coming weeks as it was perfectly priced for me.

Kind regards,

Andrew.
If you have an android phone I can PM you an unlocked version of Carly so you can read the codes?
Appreciate 0