E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E92: BSW sound upgrade and 6FL retrofit

05-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

E92: BSW sound upgrade and 6FL retrofit

One of the forum member contacted me to install
-BSW Speaker upgrade level I
-BSW sub for boot
- Official BMW 6FL (USB in central console to use apple’s products / media on USB)

His concerns were;
1- Will upgrading the speaker be enough?
2- If yes, would boot sub overtakes the other frequencies?
3- Can you fit 6FL kit?

My suggestions;
1- Install the amplifier for the speakers and under seats. Recommendation was 600/6.
2- Depends on the taste. I have seen few members adding the sub to the current sound system and that is enough for them? But then sound is not balanced, hence suggestion 1 was recommended.
3- Send me the instructions and I will have a look.

My concerns:
1- BSW does not give rating of their speakers. Also they did not mention power rating for their boot sub. Would these be good products?
2- Boot sub sits in the boot well. Would sound be good enough to penetrate through the boot floor trim and to the cabin?
3- BSW has shown a different amplifier for boot sub on their website and sent a small amp which looked cheap Chinese cloned amp. Since it was not branded, it made me worried.

Instructions for 6FL were clear and I found no issues. Job involved taking the central arm console out and laying new cables from the combox (box in the boot) to central arm console and inserting a new box next to passenger side under seat. Looked simple but job was going to take good few hours. BMW instructions always undermine the time to do these things and it stated 2 hours. It was a nice joke though.

Owner bought JL XD 600/6. Now his concerns were, ‘Would BSW amp be enough to match 600/6?’
I recommended him to wait till we try the BSW amp, otherwise 600/1 would do the job.
I have also provided the part numbers to the owner to have OEM connectors for the under seats and everything plug and play. Owner decided to keep the OEM under seats.
Owner left the car with me and I started working on the car;

First thing ...preparing OEM clips

Stinger pro cable was used to feed the under seats (just in case owner decides to upgrade the under seats at later stage)

Few problems;
1- Owner did not buy the new tweeter inserts with the holes for tweeters. So I had to modify the OEM inserts to accommodate the tweeters.

2- 6FL kit came with the 56 pin connector for the combox (actually for MULF) whereas combox had 26 pin connector. I sat down at 10 pm and started reading the manual again. I also tried to find, why there was a difference. I started a new thread at mid night and send pm to few guys (Deepsrd, Afsar and Technic). I must appreciate the input of all these guys as all of them were online in 15 minutes and started responding to my concerns (Big thanks to all of you). With geeky discussion, I found out that if you have combox, you can hack the stuff. You lay the USB wires from the combox straight to new base plate with USB + aux in. It was 2 pm when I found out the hacking way of combox. I sent the owner a pm telling him that the kit was wrong and he needed some parts to do this hack.
So I spoke to the owner on Saturday morning and he contacted the dealer. Dealer insisted that it was the correct kit, however 26 pin connector and its housing was required. I was still not convinced that it was the correct kit. My question was, what were the pin numbers from the wiring of this kit to connect to combox with 26 pin connector as opposed to 56 pin connect (in the instructions and in the kit)?

So, after few hours, we discovered that the owner undermined the instructions file which was provided by the dealer and sent me the wrong file. So he sent me the correct file. I was busy working on the sound system. After installing the sound system, I followed the new instructions and installed the kit. Due to all this hassle, it set me back at least 3-4 hours.
After everything was in, car was coded to activate 6FL and everything worked like a charm.

Few photos of installation

Underseat OEM clips

Clips fitted

BSW speaker

BSW speaker comparison to the OEM speaker

BSW speakers fitted
Front

Rear

Combox

BMW OEM 6FL retrofit kit goes into this white box and that goes next to passenger side under seat

Old passenger side foam taken out to be replaced with 6FL one to accommodate white box

Box fitted with new foam

Final product

And finally the terminals of the amp covered (to avoid any water --> short circuit)

To conclude what has been done;
1- BSW upgrade 1 installed with XD 600/6 using Mr Singh’s harness
2- BSW sub installed in the boot
3- 6FL kit installed
4- Folding mirrors coded

Few details;
1- BSW speakers are 9/10 on my index. They took 75W from XD 600/6 happily with the correct crossovers.
2- BSW tweeters are 7/10 as they could not produce upper frequencies with the authority.
3- BSW amp produced whopping 380W without clipping and 400W with soft clipping.
4- E92 is a difficult car to work on. You have to remove the rear passenger panel cards to run the wires.

Overall the whole setup worked really well and sound was massive improvement over the OEM base sound system. The only week point was under seats as they were stretching to their limits on 90% volume.

Quick feedback;
1- XD 600/6 is awesome as usual.
2- BSW speakers are more than adequate.
3- BSW amp produced reasonable sound.
4- 6FL kit is slow to respond. It takes about 1-2 seconds before it follows the commands.
Overall, I was impressed with the sound system. Keeping everything OEM, and with the hidden sub, the sound was massive improvement.
      05-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

brilliant write up mate!

whats the bass like from that sub?

any idea how much that whole set up costs?
      05-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

I wish you would stop writing these!

Having abandoned my own plans 2 years ago because I could not find anyone I thought competent to fit the stuff you keep coming up with these installs.

I still have the bits I was collecting (Techic harness, OEM tweeter frames, under seat boxes and fittings for earthquakes) and you keep tempting me.

Worse you are relatively local

Dam you Sir!

Great write up though.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
AdamZA
Private
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E92 LCI M-Sport

Hey Guys,

This work was carried out on my car. I have to say Makkan00 is very knowledgeable and did a flawless job!

I'm still getting to know the system as the car has only been back with me for a day but so far I have good first impressions!

I started with the Base audio package and without an amplifier, the speakers were awful, the underseats were almost non-existent and there was no real clarity at any volume - everything gave the impression of being blended together with only the 4 mid-range speakers responsible for pretty much all audio frequencies.

The addition of the tweeters has dramatically increased clarity and the 600/6 amp is amazing at keeping everything crystal clear all the way up to just over 100db.

The sub provides just about the right amount of bass - not too little, not too much. It filters into the cabin nicely and responds well to the low frequencies. It sounds very good and is more than satisfactory! The BSW amplifier supplied also has a bass boost which we have NOT used. The bass is boosted a little from the iDrive.

Also, the 6FL kit is indeed slow to respond with my iPod Touch (4th Gen) but is much quicker with my iPhone 5! Maybe it's newer hardware + that lightning cable!

The whole set up will set you back around £2k once you factor in all of the parts, shipping and customs charge as well as installation costs.

Any questions, feel free to post and Makkan00 and I will try to answer!

Adam
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
AdamZA
Private
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E92 LCI M-Sport

Also, if anyone is thinking of doing the same thing: upgrade the underseats! Not enough mid-bass in the car as the BMW Base system underseats are still awful even after being amplified.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P 5UML View Post
brilliant write up mate!

whats the bass like from that sub?

any idea how much that whole set up costs?
Thanks for the input.

As I have seen variety of sub installations and here is what I feel;

(> = better than)

1- For listener, IB > Corner sub > behind the rear seat enclosure or boot well.

2- For shows and outsiders, behind the rear seat > Corner sub > boot well sub > IB.

3- Minimum rattling, IB > corner sub > boot well sub > behind the rear seat enclosure.

In this specific case, sound was more than enough. You feel the bass in the car, however rattling at 400W was more than 600W corner enclosure which we fitted in Rudz car. Basically the well enclosure shakes the well trim ---> silencer ---> diffuser ---> bumper vibration and rear reg plate rattles. Owner may use the weather seal b/w the reg plate and the boot.
      05-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
I wish you would stop writing these!

Having abandoned my own plans 2 years ago because I could not find anyone I thought competent to fit the stuff you keep coming up with these installs.

I still have the bits I was collecting (Techic harness, OEM tweeter frames, under seat boxes and fittings for earthquakes) and you keep tempting me.

Worse you are relatively local

Dam you Sir!

Great write up though.

What are you waiting for? Complete the kit and get it installed.
      01-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
RL_E92
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d, M Sport Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [0.00]
I believe the bass sub in the article has been discontinued now. Managed to get one earlier in 2015, but received an email from BAV informing customers that the production of units was coming to an end....
Appreciate 0