E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Hybrid Turbos with DPF still in place

07-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #1
Sussex-335i
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d 2011

Hybrid Turbos with DPF still in place

Hi All

I'm considering getting either a 335d (M57) shortly.

I would like to get it to approx. 400bhp (crank) with Hybrid Turbos but with the DPF still in place. Is this achievable?

I haven't seen anyone who retains the DPF when going Hybrid on the M57. Is there a good reason for that? - (I have seen the N57 335d's leave the DPF in place with Hybrid though.)

If I went with a 335d, my plan would be EGR Delete, Swirl Flap Delete, Hybrid Turbo, Wagner FMIC, R90 Pump. BUT DPF left in place (We don't have the SCR stuff in Europe, so don't have to delete that).

The reason why I want to keep the DPF is that smoke on acceleration kind of kills it for me, I just don't like how it looks. Some may think the cars broken, thats why I want to keep the DPF. May sound silly, but that's just me.

I would have thought there would still be power gains to be had going hybrid even with the DPF in place (just not as much as if DPF was deleted).

Anyone know of anyone that went hybrids with the M57 and kept the DPF?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
Jpm57tt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Just leave the catalizator , its efficient and you can go over 400 hp (with the right tune smoke less)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex-335i View Post
Hi All

I'm considering getting either a 335d (M57) shortly.

I would like to get it to approx. 400bhp (crank) with Hybrid Turbos but with the DPF still in place. Is this achievable?

I haven't seen anyone who retains the DPF when going Hybrid on the M57. Is there a good reason for that? - (I have seen the N57 335d's leave the DPF in place with Hybrid though.)

If I went with a 335d, my plan would be EGR Delete, Swirl Flap Delete, Hybrid Turbo, Wagner FMIC, R90 Pump. BUT DPF left in place (We don't have the SCR stuff in Europe, so don't have to delete that).

The reason why I want to keep the DPF is that smoke on acceleration kind of kills it for me, I just don't like how it looks. Some may think the cars broken, thats why I want to keep the DPF. May sound silly, but that's just me.

I would have thought there would still be power gains to be had going hybrid even with the DPF in place (just not as much as if DPF was deleted).

Anyone know of anyone that went hybrids with the M57 and kept the DPF?

Thanks
I have the DPF, SCR, DOC, EGR, and swirl flaps deleted with a straight piped exhaust and I see no smoke at all. So thats no catalytic converter or mufflers on the new exhaust, and just one small resonator(for sound). Never seen any smoke whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 01:12 PM   #4
Sussex-335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearitself165 View Post
I have the DPF, SCR, DOC, EGR, and swirl flaps deleted with a straight piped exhaust and I see no smoke at all. So thats no catalytic converter or mufflers on the new exhaust, and just one small resonator(for sound). Never seen any smoke whatsoever.
Thanks for the info. That’s reassuring to hear. I had heard that smoke is just a sign of an incomplete combustion (I.e. too much fuel) so it would make sense that with tuning you could eliminate the smoke.

My only reservation now is that in the UK our yearly MOT now requires a visible check of the DPF and a bung stuck in the exhaust to test for Nox emissions, which was one of the other reasons I was considering seeing whether I could get 400bhp with the DPF left on. - I know some people in the UK get a ‘postage stamp’ MOT as they know a MOT Tester and just ask them to pass the car anyway, but I don’t have any close friendship with an MOT tester so I don’t feel the option of no DPF is available to me.

I’m also willing to admit I’m not good enough with my hands to consider putting a DPF in once every 12 months just to get passed.

Decisions...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
Sussex-335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm57tt View Post
Just leave the catalizator , its efficient and you can go over 400 hp (with the right tune smoke less)
Sorry, to clarify - Are you saying that 400bhp with DPF still on is achievable or that if I want 400bhp I should remove DPF?

I see you are in Germany (so likely have similar yearly emissions testing as we have in the UK where they put a bung in the exhaust to test Nox emissions?) - does your car get passed emissions testing?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #6
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

There is a way to pass the visual for DPF in place but not have to poorer exhaust flow associated with particulate filter function.
1) cut open the DPF on the side that faces the engine block ( rectangular window)
2) gut /remove the filter but keep the upfront cat function as it knocks down the stink
3) have the rectangular window rewelded back on and sealed.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 03:10 AM   #7
Jpm57tt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, to clarify - Are you saying that 400bhp with DPF still on is achievable or that if I want 400bhp I should remove DPF?

I see you are in Germany (so likely have similar yearly emissions testing as we have in the UK where they put a bung in the exhaust to test Nox emissions?) - does your car get passed emissions testing?

Thanks

Yes you can get over 400 hp with a bigger turbo and fmic (and a good mapper) , but you can also do it with the stock turbo , with a modified dpf (leaving the stock catalizator )

I have pass emissions even with a dp ,( just to the Nox and other emissions) not visual … what l meant to say its you need to do a good map and the rest its posible.
Regards
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 03:11 AM   #8
Jpm57tt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
There is a way to pass the visual for DPF in place but not have to poorer exhaust flow associated with particulate filter function.
1) cut open the DPF on the side that faces the engine block ( rectangular window)
2) gut /remove the filter but keep the upfront cat function as it knocks down the stink
This …
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 05:48 AM   #9
Sussex-335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Thank you - that’s great info! Sounds like the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 05:51 AM   #10
Sussex-335i
Rep

Quote:
This …
Thank you - I never thought of the DPF like that, when people gutted them I thought they were getting rid of everything. Getting rid of the filter and leaving the cat sounds the way to go.

I imagine that if this passes your German emission testing, it will pass the UK too.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 06:00 AM   #11
Sussex-335i
Rep

Quote:
Yes you can get over 400 hp with a bigger turbo and fmic (and a good mapper) , but you can also do it with the stock turbo , with a modified dpf (leaving the stock catalizator )

I have pass emissions even with a dp ,( just to the Nox and other emissions) not visual … what l meant to say its you need to do a good map and the rest its possible.
Regards
I know you’re in Germany but do you have any recommendation of remapper? As I take you have this done to your car and your remapper has got it near smokeless.

My work sometimes takes me to Munich and Stuttgart so using a German remapper is feasible.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 05:38 AM   #12
bennyball
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
I know you’re in Germany but do you have any recommendation of remapper? As I take you have this done to your car and your remapper has got it near smokeless.

My work sometimes takes me to Munich and Stuttgart so using a German remapper is feasible.
I'd speak to Glen at GKR Performance in Oswestry - he knows these engines very well and will look after you
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 01:57 AM   #13
Jpm57tt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

O
Hi , GKRperformance Have you covered , here in Germany MPM with Marcel M .
Appreciate 0