E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Pending Oil Cooler Install - Thermostat Change Needed?

11-07-2018, 12:25 AM   #1
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 Jet Black 335i (E92)

Pending Oil Cooler Install - Thermostat Change Needed?

Posting this in the track forum to hopefully get some traction from you guys pushing the the n54 out on the track for some additional clarity.

I recently was able to find an incredible deal on a Dinan oil cooler set up which is a mod (oil cooler not specifically Dinan) that I’ve been wanting to do for sometime now, both to improve engine health/longevity and avoid limp mode when pushing the vehicle.

Before I go ahead and put in the oil cooler, I had a question about the use of a thermostat that lowers the temperature in which the oil cooler kicks in and at what temperature is the ideal engagement.

Do I just install the upgraded oil cooler and call it a day, or consider a thermostat that brings the oil temperature at which it is engaged lower? If so, what would be the ideal temperature to do this at 180? Or 210?

Setups that delete the thermostat engagement completely and delay the warming of the vehicle from the start are out of the question as this will put unnecessary wear on the motor if I don’t have the time to sit an extended period of time (more than I usually do) to allow the vehicle to warm up on that given day.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You In Advance
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshi3 View Post
Posting this in the track forum to hopefully get some traction from you guys pushing the the n54 out on the track for some additional clarity.

I recently was able to find an incredible deal on a Dinan oil cooler set up which is a mod (oil cooler not specifically Dinan) that I’ve been wanting to do for sometime now, both to improve engine health/longevity and avoid limp mode when pushing the vehicle.

Before I go ahead and put in the oil cooler, I had a question about the use of a thermostat that lowers the temperature in which the oil cooler kicks in and at what temperature is the ideal engagement.

Do I just install the upgraded oil cooler and call it a day, or consider a thermostat that brings the oil temperature at which it is engaged lower? If so, what would be the ideal temperature to do this at 180? Or 210?

Setups that delete the thermostat engagement completely and delay the warming of the vehicle from the start are out of the question as this will put unnecessary wear on the motor if I don’t have the time to sit an extended period of time (more than I usually do) to allow the vehicle to warm up on that given day.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You In Advance
I wouldnt worry too much about getting a lower temp thermostat unless you do a lot of tracking.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 Jet Black 335i (E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeGovernor View Post
I wouldnt worry too much about getting a lower temp thermostat unless you do a lot of tracking.
Regardless of the amount of tracking, is there no benefit from the perspective of engine health and longevity to bring the oil temperatures down from where the stock Tstat kicks in (~234 or so, not sure the exact number) down to 210 or 180?
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50
      11-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshi3 View Post
Regardless of the amount of tracking, is there no benefit from the perspective of engine health and longevity to bring the oil temperatures down from where the stock Tstat kicks in (~234 or so, not sure the exact number) down to 210 or 180?
I have read some threads where it was listed the engine makes the most power and was designed to operate at an oil temperature around 245 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #5
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I wouldn't worry about it. The engines are designed to run right where they do; the goal would be to keep it in this range while on the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
slides
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335I

I have seen teps of 270-280f at the track with an OEM cooler, turning the heater on and removing the plastic underbelly trey helps. You can also drive faster for more air flow ;-)

Synthetic oils can take that temp, I just change my oil often during the track season, it cost less than $50 to do an oil change so dont be a cheap ass. Basically every track day i run about 2hrs at high temps so i figure after ever 2-3 track days change the oil.
Appreciate 0