E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil Filter Housing Leak Cleanup

12-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
webbdylan335
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Exclamation Oil Filter Housing Leak Cleanup

So with my new purchase of my 08 335i it has a pretty nasty oil leak from the oil filter housing. It is leaking out of the thermostat gasket, the oil filter housing gasket to the head, and also from the O-rings that connect the oil cooler lines to the thermostat. From the combined three places it has made quite the mess in my engine bay. I ordered all new gaskets and oil from FCPEuro and they'll be arriving within a few days. I'm going to be taking care of all the leaks myself but I was wondering if anyone had any. suggestions for cleaning up the mess it has left me. It's pretty tight in general down there and I don't really have any idea how I will be cleaning up the oil that has run down over the Vanos area and behind the belts. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Remove the belly tray and pressure wash or spray engine digresser and then just hose it of. I suggested you at least replace the belt and check the power streering pump bolt as they know to loosen up from all that oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
webbdylan335
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Remove the belly tray and pressure wash or spray engine digresser and then just hose it of. I suggested you at least replace the belt and check the power streering pump bolt as they know to loosen up from all that oil.
Is it hard to take the belt off? I've never messed with the belt and pulleys. I'll definitely be trying to clean up everything as best I can.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:25 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbdylan335 View Post
Is it hard to take the belt off? I've never messed with the belt and pulleys. I'll definitely be trying to clean up everything as best I can.
No, it isn't hard but is good combination of know how and having the correct tools for the job. If you don't replace it will most definitely snap soon after it stops being libricated by the oil regularly. At least that is my experience. With leak belt last let say one year. Fix the leak and belt is gone in like a week of time.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #5
webbdylan335
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbdylan335 View Post
No, it isn't hard but is good combination of know how and having the correct tools for the job. If you don't replace it will most definitely snap soon after it stops being libricated by the oil regularly. At least that is my experience. With leak belt last let say one year. Fix the leak and belt is gone in like a week of time.
Wow so I should definitely order one like tomorrow? I've done the fix for this leak before on my last 335 as well as the valve cover gasket myself so I should be able to figure the brakes out. Thanks for letting me know about that.
Appreciate 0