E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Coolant temperature drops while driving, heats up very slow

01-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
vinodsamaleti
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2008

Coolant temperature drops while driving, heats up very slow

Hello All,

I have a BMW 328i 2008. My car heats up pretty slow (at least 1 hr) when the outside temp is below 30F and it threw thermostat code and I replaced thermostat and water pump but still no heat. Replaced thermostat one more time and still no heat and coolant temp drops and doesnt even reach at least 80F. Took the car to the dealership and they suspected faulty radiator. I replaced the radiator and still no heat. Heater core and blower motor are working fine. Coolant temp reaches 50 F when left the car idle for 30 mins and once I start driving the temp will drop to below 45F.

What to do to get the heat and have the coolant temp maintained at normal running temps?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

You probably have air in the cooler system. Gonna need to bleed it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
vinodsamaleti
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
You probably have air in the cooler system. Gonna need to bleed it out.
I bled the system 3 times but the issue still remains
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

A couple things are confusing in your description of the issue, so I've got a couple of questions:

- How are you measuring the coolant temp? In the 335 there is no coolant temp gauge, but you have a 328, so it might have one. Most cars don't have a gauge that shows anything lower than 100 degrees F. You seem to be able to see the difference between 45 and 50 degrees. Is it possible you are describing the temperature of the interior and not the coolant temp? Coolant temp for a running engine is ~210 degrees.

- If the engine is running well, it is creating heat. It could be possible that your coolant temp sensor is not working correctly, but the other parts of the system like the waterpump are working correctly. You might want to see if you can use an IR temp sensor camera to see / measure the heat coming from the engine.

Some possible ideas:
- While you said coolant temp, you meant interior air temp.
- The temp sensor is not working and / or you have air in the system so the coolant is not circulating to bring hot coolant to the sensor.
- The waterpump is not working, not circulating the coolant.
- The Thermostat is stuck open and waterpump is running constantly and not allowing the coolant to reach the desired operating temp. However, I still don't think you could keep the coolant temp below ~150 in this situation.
      01-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

^could he be looking at IAT?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #6
vinodsamaleti
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
A couple things are confusing in your description of the issue, so I've got a couple of questions:

- How are you measuring the coolant temp?
There is no temp gauge but I measure the temp on the dashboard.

In the 335 there is no coolant temp gauge, but you have a 328, so it might have one. Most cars don't have a gauge that shows anything lower than 100 degrees F. You seem to be able to see the difference between 45 and 50 degrees. Is it possible you are describing the temperature of the interior and not the coolant temp? Coolant temp for a running engine is ~210 degrees.

- If the engine is running well, it is creating heat. It could be possible that your coolant temp sensor is not working correctly, but the other parts of the system like the waterpump are working correctly.

I will have to check the coolant temp sensor.

You might want to see if you can use an IR temp sensor camera to see / measure the heat coming from the engine.

I just bough one IR scan and I will check tomorrow but not sure where to check.

Some possible ideas:
- While you said coolant temp, you meant interior air temp. (Its the coolant temp which I got from the dash)
- The temp sensor is not working and / or you have air in the system so the coolant is not circulating to bring hot coolant to the sensor. (I will replace the temp sensors but not sure of the location of the sensors. My mechanic bled the system and I too bled the system 3 times)
- The waterpump is not working, not circulating the coolant. (replaced waterpump and thermostat with genuine BMW parts. My mechanic still saw the issue and replaced thermostat one more time with wahler brand)
- The Thermostat is stuck open and waterpump is running constantly and not allowing the coolant to reach the desired operating temp. However, I still don't think you could keep the coolant temp below ~150 in this situation.
please see my answers above

Last edited by vinodsamaleti; 01-19-2018 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0