E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Help needed - Steering Wheel lock - cannot start car

10-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Help needed - Steering Wheel lock - cannot start car

Hi All

I am having a really weird issue with my 2007 335i E93 which I would greatly appreciate some help with.

My issue started today when I went to go and start my car today and I was hit with a steering wheel lock error message on the dashboard/idrive. When I had put the Key in the ignition the steering wheel lock would not deactivate therefore the steering wheel would stay in a locked position.

After opening and unlocking the car for about an hour the steering wheel lock had unlocked randomly and I was able to manuever the steering wheel again.

I still had the error message on my dashboard and Idrive which prevented me from actually starting the car.

After many more attempts of putting the key fob in the ignition unlocking unlocking the car, it somehow decided to turn on randomly. I managed to get home safely and parked the car outside my house however shortly after locking the car the error message reappeared.

I’ve come to realise that on the occasions where I put the key fob in and the steering lock does not deactivate or activate that is when the error message appears.

I have attempted to search the forums for hours and the issues seems to be around steering wheel column or faulty battery. I run a Carly diagnostic which came up with error codes under CAS, immobiliser: DFAHL cable break A0B5 /signal detection speed error, ELV SG communication error.

Can anyone suggest or help me with fixing this issue with my car?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 02:11 AM   #2
Court
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 2016 335xD (Current)

Hi Yam,

Do you have the CAS option fitted? (Comfort Access) If you do you'll find that the unit has got a fault in it and it will prevent the steering wheel from unlocking.

Stealer's will ask around £500 for a new part. The best option is to disconnect it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #3
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Thank you Court for the reply.

I had a Indy technician come over as updated+reflashed the CAS unit which did NOT fix the problem. He confirmed it was a fault in my CAS unit.

He worked some magic and created a simulator which stops the CAS from engaging the steering lock and everything is now fine.

At least I have the latest CAS update and not going to face this issue again.

I HIGHLY recommend this techy I used, he has 20 years of experience and has legitimate access to BMW servers. He is mobile and came to my house and did all the work from his Van. Let me know if anyone needs his number for any technical coding (he is based in London).
Appreciate 0