E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > $300 budget - empty garage.

01-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
Tory
WAT IS THIS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

$300 budget - empty garage.

So you have 0 detailing supplies and $300 in your pocket solely for this purpose. What do you prioritize to [somewhat] fill your garage? Exterior, Interior, Rims, Tires, Under the Hood, etc.. Note that the $300 doesn't have to cover every area, just looking at what people's "must-haves" are when it comes to detailing.

(If you couldn't tell, this is the situation I am in now.)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Cosmin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: german v6

before u spend any money or ask for advice... u should know and share with us what~s the purpose of your suplyes , u looking into maintain the finish , u look into correction , what exacly u try to do ...also what vehicle , what color,,,,any previous body work done on it...
if correction , u have any history on that , have u use a portal cable , or a flex?
do you understand and know the steps of the correction process....

answer this questions before u buy some "hi-end" waist product and mess your car with , just because someone said is gooood
      01-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Tory
WAT IS THIS
United_States
Rep

The car I am buying is online without any direct inspection by myself. There are no dings/dents/etc, but I have a feeling the paint is going to need to be touched up a little.

It is Alpine White with Coral Red interior. I just mainly want to maintain.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Congrats on the new ride. Here are my suggestions for must haves to restore any car to like new condition within the budget you outlined.

Wash / Dry - This is where most swirls come from so get some quality products to maintain the finish and use good technique.
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit

Clay Bar - Deep cleans the paint and greatly improves your results from polishing and your sealant.
DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

Buffer, Polishes, Pads - Here is the essentials you need for polishing the paint which is the most important step in restoring the shine. Use the M105 first followed by the M205 with the Porter Cable 7424 buffer. These two polishes are amongst the best in the industry. The buffer is critical because it helps permanently correct the clear coat so it's smoother and optically clear. This buffer is extremely safe and easy to use so even first time users can get excellent results. Upon completion you'll be amazed at how much better the paint looks.
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Basic Kit

Sealant
Instead of using a wax we recommend applying a sealant which is much more durable than a natural carnauba wax. They apply with ease and last for months instead of weeks. This step will enhance the shine you just created and really make the paint pop! If you want an inexpensive sealant that works great try the Rejex Rejex Sealant. If you want my favorite sealant try the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. Either one can be applied by hand or use the buffer and purchase a separate blue pad.

Microfiber
To remove all the left over product I'd suggest 6x of the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel.

Interior
Get everything you need to clean the entire interior (console, dashboard, doors, carpets, leather, etc.) with the DI Packages Interior Starter Kit. It's a great value and has all the essentials you need for a great detail.

Wheel and Tire
Last but not least here is another great kit that has what you need to clean and shine your wheels and tires at a great price DI Packages Wheel and Tire Basic Kit.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Also we are running a 20% off sale through 1/16 with the coupon code Jan2010, but it does not apply to the DI Packages I listed above, tools (ie buffers) and sale items. Again don't hesitate to let me know if we can help you any further.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

^What Greg said + a small bottle of Leatherique for your red leather. g/l with the new ride and congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Tory
WAT IS THIS
United_States
Rep

Well scratch that, another salesman sold it before my salesman made note of the deposit I put down. So much for a deposit, eh? So back to car shopping.

Anyways I assume Detailed Image's name is Greg, so, thanks for the list Greg! Will definitely be put to use when I finally find a car (over a month of searching now... I think I might be too picky).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
Well scratch that, another salesman sold it before my salesman made note of the deposit I put down. So much for a deposit, eh? So back to car shopping.

Anyways I assume Detailed Image's name is Greg, so, thanks for the list Greg! Will definitely be put to use when I finally find a car (over a month of searching now... I think I might be too picky).
Sorry to hear it's no longer available, that's rough! Yes it is Greg here from www.DetailedImage.com, and I'm glad the info was helpful. Those products are pretty universal so you can use them on almost any car you end up with. If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me on here or directly via e-mail (see sig for address).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

menzerna 203
blackfire wet diamond
a few orange pads, a few white, and a couple black
a light clay bar
gallon of ONR to be used and diluted for window cleaner, clay lube, and washing
a couple WW drying towels from DI and a bunch of MF
leatherique prestine clean for the leather
303 for all the rest of the interior
chemical guys sticky gel for the wheels (use blackfire on them once cleaned)
meguiars hyper dressing for tires and wheel wells
optimum quick detailer for after washes

Thats what I would get!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Tory
WAT IS THIS
United_States
Rep

Found a couple new cars, unfortunately they aren't e92's But one is a Jet Black and the other is a Sparkling Graphite e90, so chances are there will probably be swirls in them.

Thanks again for the help, will be ordering as soon as I decide and the car gets here (so I can see what needs worked on).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
Tory
WAT IS THIS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
menzerna 203
blackfire wet diamond
a few orange pads, a few white, and a couple black
a light clay bar
gallon of ONR to be used and diluted for window cleaner, clay lube, and washing
a couple WW drying towels from DI and a bunch of MF
leatherique prestine clean for the leather
303 for all the rest of the interior
chemical guys sticky gel for the wheels (use blackfire on them once cleaned)
meguiars hyper dressing for tires and wheel wells
optimum quick detailer for after washes

Thats what I would get!
I need to squeeze a buffer in there somewhere, yeah?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

crap...i forgot that...yep!

pcxp
bfwd
towels
pads
sealant
wheel cleaner and brushes
ONR
clay

should be close to 300, expecially with a 20% off discount
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #12
Tory
WAT IS THIS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
crap...i forgot that...yep!
Envious Eric forgot about a buffer?!?

Awesome, thanks for the lists guys. I have a feeling this is going to turn into an addiction.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
Found a couple new cars, unfortunately they aren't e92's But one is a Jet Black and the other is a Sparkling Graphite e90, so chances are there will probably be swirls in them.

Thanks again for the help, will be ordering as soon as I decide and the car gets here (so I can see what needs worked on).
Not to bust your bubble, but any car you're going to get (even if looking for a brand new car) is going to have swirls, they're just easier to spot on darker colors. There's a 99.9999% chance. That's part of why you look into getting the appropriate equipment to handle the task to come
Appreciate 0