E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Tipping your SA at the dealer

01-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Tipping your SA at the dealer

My CPO'd 328i had its maintenance warranty expire 12/31/10.

Just had a fog light burn out and went to a brand new dealer because I just moved to Boston.

They said it would cost ~$130 for the total fix.

I felt that being two weeks out of the expiration it was worth a shot - so I asked if there was anything they could do for the price.

The SA called me back and said he spoke with his manager and was able to do me the favor and not charge me (but only this once, he emphasized).

Do I tip the SA $20?

Thanks duders.

Last edited by Quick6EF; 01-18-2011 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Are you kidding me? You dont tip an SA. They are doing this because they want your future business. No need to tip.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Define "went out"

If the whole assembly fell out and needed replacing, then maybe...

If the "light stopped working", then no. Dealer cost on a bulb is probobly $2 and installation probobly took 15 seconds.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but bulbs aren't included in maintenance are they?

I'm also not married to having a dedicated SA when I go in. If you are in a situation where it behooves you to be that way, then good, but $20 isn't going to encourage them to remember your name IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
Are you kidding me? You dont tip an SA. They are doing this because they want your future business. No need to tip.

Gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Define "went out"

If the whole assembly fell out and needed replacing, then maybe...

If the "light stopped working", then no. Dealer cost on a bulb is probobly $2 and installation probobly took 15 seconds.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but bulbs aren't included in maintenance are they? That part of my warranty expired 12/31/10

I'm also not married to having a dedicated SA when I go in. If you are in a situation where it behooves you to be that way, then good, but $20 isn't going to encourage them to remember your name IMO.

Bulb blew.

He said 1/2 hour labor. Don't know where the other charges are from as we spoke briefly on the phone.

Seems like $90/hr (right) for labor and maybe $40 for the bulb. He said they remove the wheel because it is a fog housing. I would change that shit myself but there is 6 inches of snow on the ground and I do not have a garage.

No, I do not need to be close with my SA, as I hope to not seem him, EVER.

Appreciate the opinions.
      01-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Tips are for restaurants and bars.
A quality lap dance also deserves some extra dough.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Just curious, which dealership did you go to?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
Just curious, which dealership did you go to?
Herb Chambers on Comm Ave.
      01-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Don't tip shit. Just give them a 9-10 on their survey.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Don't tip, it set them back $20. BMW up charge on parts is ridiculous, I avoid the dealer like AIDS. I did get lucky and get my wiper inserts for $5 a few weeks ago but I had no choice to go to them. No euro parts stores here and AZ didn't stock them.
      01-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
don't tip b/c since you are out of warranty, if you have to bring your car to bmw to get some sorty of repair or maintenance done to your car, you will be overcharged so save up while you can
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Waiting for him to call back and confirm -

He said "Are you sure you want me to go ahead and wave these charges? If you need something major done down the road we won't be able to work with you like we have now."

Seems like he was saying this is a 'free pass'.

When he was saying this, I wanted to call BS.

I am two weeks passed the exp. date of the warranty on maintenance; I at least have some sort of grounds in asking for a discount.
      01-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Gotcha.

Bulb blew.

He said 1/2 hour labor. Don't know where the other charges are from as we spoke briefly on the phone.

Can't speak for an E9x, but supposedly I had to remove the wheels on my Z4 to replace the fog bulbs as well. Low an behold a quick turn of the wheel to "steering lock" in both directions gave me more than enough clearance to access the covers.

Not sure what bulb you'd require, but a quick google search yielded H3 bulbs at ~$3-5/each retail for a Sylvania. Hellas were about a dollar more/ea. As mentioned any time you involve a dealership in anything mundane prepare to be hosed. If it seems wayyyy too expensive.. it probably is.

I remember once getting quoted something like $250 for a coolant flush as part of the "recommended maintenance" for the Z4. I told my SA right to his face that he was "out of his fucking mind". I asked him if people actually fell for that he gave me a cheshire grin with a chuckle and said "all the time".

That's SoCal for ya...

And don't fall for his threat.... if you need "major work" they absolutely won't help you do anything but swipe your credit card. Take what you can get now... even if it is a $130 fog light bulb.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

I got my SA a $150 houstons gc once. He helped me get a set of new tires using the tire and wheel warranty I purchased with the car. Saved me $1200+. Him and his wife also recently had a baby, so it was kinda a double gift. He is a good guy and I still email him from time to time even though I don't currently own a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
...even though I don't currently own a BMW.
POSER (sig pic)

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can't speak for an E9x, but supposedly I had to remove the wheels on my Z4 to replace the fog bulbs as well. Low an behold a quick turn of the wheel to "steering lock" in both directions gave me more than enough clearance to access the covers.

Not sure what bulb you'd require, but a quick google search yielded H3 bulbs at ~$3-5/each retail for a Sylvania. Hellas were about a dollar more/ea. As mentioned any time you involve a dealership in anything mundane prepare to be hosed. If it seems wayyyy too expensive.. it probably is.

I remember once getting quoted something like $250 for a coolant flush as part of the "recommended maintenance" for the Z4. I told my SA right to his face that he was "out of his fucking mind". I asked him if people actually fell for that he gave me a cheshire grin with a chuckle and said "all the time".

That's SoCal for ya...

And don't fall for his threat.... if you need "major work" they absolutely won't help you do anything but swipe your credit card. Take what you can get now... even if it is a $130 fog light bulb.
Regarding the bold, thanks for that.

I would totally buy my own bulb and install, but sucks for me because I have no garage and there is a lot of snow outside (plus it's fucking freezing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I got my SA a $150 houstons gc once. He helped me get a set of new tires using the tire and wheel warranty I purchased with the car. Saved me $1200+. Him and his wife also recently had a baby, so it was kinda a double gift. He is a good guy and I still email him from time to time even though I don't currently own a BMW.
Yea, I feel that's a good move Blake.

I am all about making some solid contacts where ever you go, no matter how small.

So for this case, I won't tip him. If it was something else I would maybe at least give it a try, even if he turns it down he knows I tried.
      01-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

He just called and they can do it for $41.24.

Whatever, I'll take it.

And a picture for your posts:

01-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #17
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
The best thing you can do for an SA is to give them rave reviews in the surveys BMW sends you after each service visit, IMO. It make a big difference to them and their career at the dealership they work.

Arnold's man-boob back at you as a reward

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #18
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Update:

He just called and they can do it for $41.24.

Whatever, I'll take it.
Saying that I've never opted for the more expensive "convienient solution" would be hypocritical. But I will say that you will probobly feel like you need a HOT HOT shower after a $42.00 bulb replacment.

no homo.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
The best thing you can do for an SA is to give them rave reviews in the surveys BMW sends you after each service visit, IMO. It make a big difference to them and their career at the dealership they work.

Arnold's man-boob back at you as a reward

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4bmUy8PjwbI/SmgOyuLCZ8I/AAAAAAAAA1U/OGSYrNGjLzg/s400/actor+Arnold+Schwarzenegger+young+age+and+old+age. jpg[/IMG]
@ current Arnold

Quote:
Saying that I've never opted for the more expensive "convienient solution" would be hypocritical. But I will say that you will probobly feel like you need a HOT HOT shower after a $42.00 bulb replacment.

no homo.

I know. My pops said "who cares about a fuckin fog light anyway?"

- Me dad, I do.

Anyway, this was outside my loaner window on the way to work:

01-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #20
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I never even see my SA, so I couldn't tip him easily even if I wanted to, which I do not.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #21
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Couldn't you just not use your Fogs for a week or two until the snow cleared up and save yourself $40?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #22
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Don't tip. You may offend, or worse - they'll expect it. lol

Also, why not change both bulbs? Short of a short (), the other will likely go soon as well. It was like down to a day or two on my G8. As soon as one fog went, the other followed.
Appreciate 0