E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > E91 Transfer Case & Actuator Problem/Questions

06-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
328wagonmaster
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Wagon

E91 Transfer Case & Actuator Problem/Questions

Hi all,
Having issues with calibration of Xfer case after I changed the fluid. I'm not getting any dash lights but car is definitely driving like the emergency brake is partially on, transmission shifting is pronounced and steering is also much more weighted. When I try to calibrate with Schwaben/Foxwell Scan tool it says "procedure could not be performed without problems". The only fault code I currently have is AOB5 which is a CAS Road Speed Signal fault. I have checked and all the wheel speed sensors are working correctly so not sure what the road speed fault source could be. No burnt smell or chunks of metal in the transfer case either. I now have removed the transfer case actuator and have a couple of questions regarding the components. Curious if anyone knows if when you have the transfer case actuator removed from the transfer case that you can move the gear you can see through the hole for the actuator. Also when you have the motor housing removed from the actuator gear housing should the motor shaft spin smoothly or does it have a pulsing/stepping type movement. Car currently has 120k on the speedo. Also worm gear and actuator gear box look fine. Any help ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
328wagonmaster
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Wagon

Additional diagnosis; After removing the planetary gears for cleaning and further inspection, the shaft that holds the gear that goes into the Xfer case is pretty rough feeling when you rotate it. I'm guessing the bearing is on it's way out. I know that doesn't rotate at high speed but maybe causing additional resistance ?
Appreciate 0