E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > $9,974.05 of maintenance done on E93 in 1yr. Is it a lemon?

08-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

$9,974.05 of maintenance done on E93 in 1yr. Is it a lemon?

I have a 08 e93 (n54 engine) for barely 15 months, and after looking at all my invoices because of frustration, I've seen a grand total of $9,974.05 work done ($7,842.05 if we minus routine things like alignment, tires, oil change, brake job, etc). From faulty oil sensors, coolant temp sensors, fixing the convertible wiring, to hydraulic unit. And we haven't event reached the HPFP issue (which I believe is supposed to be under warranty).

I'm starting to wonder, did I get a lemon, or do you all think this a car I should keep? I feel like the bmw dealership this car was brought from ripped me off. The car fax showed nothing but emission stickers, the salesman suggested no work to be done, and we were upsold a $3500 aftermarket warranty which I was told will cover pretty much everything, but me and my credit card have found it, there are MANY exclusions

On top of that, the service at the bmw dealer hasnt been the best imo. I've had to spend much of my time booking multiple appointments, getting frustrated, and waiting....and waiting....

I tried the indy mechanic route where I live, and I thought I found a great place (but lets just say there were charging more than the dealer i found).

So idk what I should do? I expected maintenance, but not $9k worth in the first year. For a first time BMW owner, this sucks (especially when I was thinking about upgrading to a f10 in a couple of years). This car is not even at 50k miles, and I barely put 7k miles on it in one year, drive it carefully, and it has still issues.

Would love to hear any thoughts, questions, or suggestions.

P.S. I have more work that needs to be done, so if anyone has any diy guides, please post a link :

- Rear brake pads
- Oil Change
- DMTL PUMP (much needed)
- Spark plugs
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
Hacksaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
DIY articles and videos are all over the place. Google or check out the DIY section in this forum.

Not sure what you purchased but it "sounds like" it might have been a neglected car that you had to do a lot of catch up on.

That said, I find that even cars that have been CPO cared for do not get good treatment. Example:

50k miles on my 355i. Do the spark plugs because I never trust things in the hands of dealers. Confirms suspicions when I check out plug number 5.. it has well over .035 gap while the others are at .029 to .031. Suspicious to say the least as this indicates based on service documents the tech doing the repairs didn't want to remove the bracket to get at plug number 5. (plugs claimed to be swapped out because of a miss reported)

Car now runs with a very smooth idle.. but if I am going in there I am also replacing coils. Also the the actuator gasket as they tend to leak even around 50k.

Simple fixes but you get the point... they add up.

If you are off in extended warranty land.. it tends to be messy because then they balk about certain steps in repairs and some even require the part to be test and proven faulty before they will pay the price. Its sticky to say the least. They do not like proactive steps for repairs... just fix what needs fixin.

Sorry for your experience but this far into it sounds like it's worth keeping the car at least to recoup your expenses thus far. All of what you mention needing to be done can be accomplished with a basic tool set, "some" specialty tools for the spark plugs like the correct socket.. and a few beers. Be patient.. watch the videos a few times and take notes if that helps. Above all realize that this is not brain surgery. It can be done.

Good luck!

'02 BMW ///M3Imola Red|Blk Cloth|6M|TFS CSL TUNE - MSS54HP|CSL Rep Airbox|Euro Headers|StopTech ST-40 BBKs|Kirk 4pt Bar|CF CSL Trunk|GC Race F/R Sways|
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 01:27 AM   #3
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm starting to wonder about the dealer... They said I had a faulty oil sensor which I had replaced in March, and now, 5 months later, they said it needs to replaced again. I've drove less than 2k miles in these few months.

My concern is do I keep throwing money into this car? I only drive it once a week cause I'm scared of what will happen if I start using it as a daily driver, or will I be up a creek with a 2k part that needs to be replaced. I'm not afraid to get a wrench and get my hands dirty, just the fear of something the dealer or some expensive mechanic only can do makes me cringe.

Btw I've been googling about the dmtl pump. Seen a lot of resources, but if you know the exact one for the 335i I have, that's a lot.

Last edited by BMWMusician; 08-06-2016 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

No offense, but I think the dealer is taking advantage of you or has a shitty service department that doesn't know how to fix BMWs. You bought a car with relatively low miles and an with an additional extended warranty. However, I think the car should have been a CPO with 10 year/100,000 mile warranty I'd ask the dealer why it wasn't when you bought it 15 months ago. But I'd question why most of the repairs you mentioned are not covered by the extended warranty.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
9krpmrx8808.00
      08-06-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Call BMWNA to see if those repairs should have been covered. My car has 230k. I bought it new 2008 e93. I haven't had half those issues. As was stated, sounds like someone just beat on it and didn't keep it up. I'd talk to other local bmw guys to find out the best bang for the buck indy guy that you can trust for non warranty issues and keep it at this point. Your car is basically fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Do not go to the dealer, there is a 40% markup on everything. If the car is under CPO, you did not have to pay some of these things,
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, and when you're at the dealer, you are at the mercy of them because they say let them do the work, or pay a $135 diagnostic fee.

It's not CPO, but I would have gone for it (paid $3400 for this aftermarket warranty which was led to believe its the next best thing to bumper to bumper warranty). I just shelled out $500 for tpms transmitter sensors (not tire sensors, the rdf sensors that tire sensors send a signal to). The dealer told me it wasnt covered with my warranty, but now since talking to my claim guy, he told me if those transmitter sensors are part of the ecu, they would have replaced them, and that the advisor just told him they were tire sensors which is why they denied it. He also says the dmtl pump is a emissions issue (which is one the few things they dont cover), so he's wondering why bmw doesnt have a warranty or recall for it like they did for the e70 x5 or hpfp?

So I'm on a whelm, and not sure what to do? I really like this car, it looks great, and drives great when everything is working, but everytime I look, there is a fault going. And the dealer is insinuating when I explain my point of view, telling me "its a 8 year old bmw", and that there are no leeway between any prices. I would like to just drive and be at peace. I dont mind spending 1k-2k a year or getting under the hood and learning some things to do the brakes, tires, or spark plugs like that. But when you tell me a hydrallic dsc unit is $6000, Its making me think twice.

Last edited by BMWMusician; 08-06-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Call BMWNA and explain. They should make it good.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Is it 1-800-831-1117? I think they are closed on weekends?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #10
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMusician
I'm starting to wonder about the dealer... They said I had a faulty oil sensor which I had replaced in March, and now, 5 months later, they said it needs to replaced again. I've drove less than 2k miles in these few months.

My concern is do I keep throwing money into this car? I only drive it once a week cause I'm scared of what will happen if I start using it as a daily driver, or will I be up a creek with a 2k part that needs to be replaced. I'm not afraid to get a wrench and get my hands dirty, just the fear of something the dealer or some expensive mechanic only can do makes me cringe.

Btw I've been googling about the dmtl pump. Seen a lot of resources, but if you know the exact one for the 335i I have, that's a lot.
This should be covered under the 2yr warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #11
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The oil sensor? Yes they said since they did it in march, they will replace it. But the dtml pump, they are refusing and want $700+ to do the job.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

You mentioned a few things, but what all was done to total that much money? Was everything actually necessary?

You may have a lemon, or the dealer may just be taking you for a ride.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 05:31 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMusician View Post
The oil sensor? Yes they said since they did it in march, they will replace it. But the dtml pump, they are refusing and want $700+ to do the job.
I just don't see the need to replace the oil level sensor if it was just replaced in March. There is really nothing to break in them unless they are exposed to Electro-static discharge during handling prior to installation. If I were you, I'd get a BMW scan tool, learn how to use it, and then diagnose the car yourself so as to determine if the dealer is bullshitting you. You've not really delved into what has prompted so many service visits. You discussed the top mechanism repair and brake service, but any faults from sensors in the engine usually trigger the Service Engine Soon light since most engine sensors are related to emissions control. Other sensor failures will trigger "shadow" codes that are found using a BMW scan tool (one that reads BMW codes not OBDII codes). OBDII codes trigger the SES light. The DTML pump should be triggering the SES light.

My other suggestions are, drive the car more and drive it harder. BMWs like a little rough treatment once and a while.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-10-2016 at 05:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #14
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Another prime example of why people still refer to dealerships As stealerships. Bunch of crooks in uniforms. Do yourself a favor, go to bimmershops.com, compare at least 3 diffirent Indy shops and see which one you are comfortable with, & which has the best reputation. Do not by any means take your car back to the stealership or you will b slowly turning your car into a lemon. Good luck and best wishes !!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #15
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Well I'll be damned..

I vote this dealership is not for you. Period. It's time you get those hands dirty as this is just rape. I say try to download INPA and troubleshoot some of these yourself.
      08-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #16
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, and thanks for the feedback from everyone!

I agree with some of the points made here. I felt like just a number (or sucker) with this dealer, I just feel like the service wasnt up to par (not the technicians), but the SA, and how he handled things, felt like a secondary concern/customer.

Called BMW NA, and they werent too helpful either. They said even though the car is a 08, it was made in 07, so the emissions ran out last fall, so I barley had 5 months of emissions warranty (now that sucks).

Anywho, I ordered a one stop inpa/dcan cable from my man Boelube335, will be checking that out soon.

QUICK Question: When the oil sensor is replaced, shouldnt a oil change be done? Reason, I ask, doesnt the oil have to be drained out first? Technically, you cant tell how much oil you have since it doesnt have a dipstick, so if its considered faulty, how do you know how much oil is in it?

Previously, at the other dealer they told me they did an oil change when they replaced. This dealer is refusing to do one, and simply said they are topping off free of charge. When I asked the SA for specifics (how its done), he said he doesnt know, and thats the law of the land basically.

I'm not looking for a free oil change, I just would like for everything to be done properly.

So if anyone can chime in, I appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by BMWMusician; 08-11-2016 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #17
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As of today, you can take the number to $10,174.05 (due to the warranty deductible).

Just to update, have been looking at the service records. These are some issues the previous owner experienced:

08 at 5k:
-Door trim loose
- Convertible hardtop dirty do to escaped butyl

09 at 13 k:
-SIB#65-34-07 LBL 506 program MULF2

2010 at 18k:
- Rear brake pad wear sensor
-Key battery, remote control failure
-drive unit, front window regulators inccorect connection
- at 19k, leak at gearbox connection, automatic transmission leaking

2011 around 20-22k:
- N54 Replacing High-Pressure Pump (part II) 22k
- Fuel Injector leaking at 20k
- Parking lamp failure, microfilter, and basic brake fluid change 22k, also check for injectors and replaced if necessary

2013 at 33k:
-E9x (with SA xxxx) install repair cable for B+ cable

2015 at 38.5 k:
- INJECTOR Common Rail Leaking (I see that listed twice on here on the same day).

I dont know how to read the davis numbers, but they seem range from 0-7 at different intervals).

Last edited by BMWMusician; 08-12-2016 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #18
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Ohh boyy.. Give that lemon back..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #19
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just updated thread with the prior service records.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 10:35 AM   #20
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

OMFG yes

Between the 3500 warranty joke and the $10k repairs, without even CONSIDERING car purchase price, you spent about as much on fixing it in 7000 mi than i spent on my '11 lci 335d.... all in all, including purchase

And Ive put near 30k mi on her in 6 months

Dear god man I moan about how my car chews up rear tires adding on like 5 CENTS per mile in costs....and yeah tires are my main maintenance item.

Your car costs nearly $2 - TWO DOLLARS - PER MILE - to fix.... 767s costs that much to operate, and theyre boeing jets not bimmers

PS about 160k on mine
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #21
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Do not go to the dealer, there is a 40% markup on everything. If the car is under CPO, you did not have to pay some of these things,
More like 400% or more
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #22
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just to update guys. I barely put any miles on it, and now the tpms light is on (I had to pay $500 just to fix that for the front a few months ago), I just spent money installing the tire sensor which i figured was the culprit, but its giving me a 604E and 6057 error (more than likely $$$ again) and the car is making a roaring fan noise (last time I heard that noise on a car it was the waterpump).

So I guess we can add another $1700 to the tab (or $700 if the warranty covers the waterpump). Oh can't forget towing (cause it might kill on the freeway, strip mall, home, etc).

Plus was not told about the brittle rubber seals that were wore out, so I have to keep it in the garage or parked under shed when it rains, or water will leak into the car (right where the memory seat controls are, so if they get fryed, more money), or spend between $1200-2500 to fix (depending if they have to reseal everything) .

Dealer did not mention the condenser sensor was no good either, so thats another $120 just for the part.

I'm honestly sick and tired of this. I'm frustrated, I can't enjoy or drive this car without a light going off!
Appreciate 0