E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Why you NEED to drive the Alps...

07-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #23
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^+1 on that! The Swiss are brutal with their speeding fines! AND... if they catch you driving more than +40 kph over a posted speed limit(back roads are only 80 kph! Not 100 kph like here in DE)... they can legally TAKE your car from you! As in forever! Just driving a few kph over a speed limit can cost you over 135 euros as well. Having an app(which is illegal, but worth the risk I think) is not a bad idea. I love the nature beauty in CH, but the speeding fines and normal prices for food and hotel rooms is just insane. 6 euros for a Coke or 45 euros for some Schnitzel or paying double for a hotel room(than in DE or Italy) That's why I always like cross the border and stay the night outside of Switzerland - when I can... IF I can!

Attachment 1664634
I came back the states with 3 tickets waiting for me lol.

Talk about insane hotel prices, stayed at hotel villa honegg by Lucerne was $800 USD a night but well worth it.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      07-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #24
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Quote:
^^+1 on that! The Swiss are brutal with their speeding fines! AND... if they catch you driving more than +40 kph over a posted speed limit(back roads are only 80 kph! Not 100 kph like here in DE)... they can legally TAKE your car from you! As in forever! Just driving a few kph over a speed limit can cost you over 135 euros as well. Having an app(which is illegal, but worth the risk I think) is not a bad idea. I love the nature beauty in CH, but the speeding fines and normal prices for food and hotel rooms is just insane. 6 euros for a Coke or 45 euros for some Schnitzel or paying double for a hotel room(than in DE or Italy) That's why I always like cross the border and stay the night outside of Switzerland - when I can... IF I can!

Attachment 1664634
I came back the states with 3 tickets waiting for me lol.

Talk about insane hotel prices, stayed at hotel villa honegg by Lucerne was $800 USD a night but well worth it.
I'll be there next month. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
      07-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #25
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
I live in the Alps... this is why I drive M cars since 2009...

i can relate to that!

one of the few advantages of living here

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
Hedoniste3770.50
      07-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #26
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
I'll be there next month. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
You will have a epic experience. If you want some suggestions pm me.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      07-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #27
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

I'd have to go over there twice......
once to view the Alps scenery.......
once to drive the Alps roads .......

Guess that wouldn't be so bad?
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt

Last edited by Scout10; 07-29-2017 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      07-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #28
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Today somewhere in the Alps
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
shay2nak1070.00
      07-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #29
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
Here's my M235i Convertible running-in across the Swiss Alps last summer. 80Kph may sound a low maximum speed, but actually it's not usually a problem when doing most of the more interesting roads like this one. As you can see from the photo' making a mistake on some of these drives means falling off the mountain, so you tend to be careful anyway. (actually as I was taking the photo' I was thinking 'did I put the handbrake on?'). Doing Alpine drives in a convertible transforms the experience as well (given reasonable weather).

You can pay a lot in Switzerland but as long as you are careful, there are still lots of places to stay that don't cost a fortune. Another option is to hire an apartment for a week and drive out to places: For example, we did a day trip from above where the photo' was taken, over the St.Bernard pass, across to Aosta and up the Paradiso National Park, had lunch underneath the Mte. Rsa (4000m/12000ft) and back again by 7.30pm.

We're lucky and own a small apartment in a Swiss ski resort -places like ours hire out for around US$1,200/week (GBP£900/wk) in the summer. Decent hotel accommodation in the valley can be had for £70-£200/night depending on preference.

The view is of the Rhone Valley with Martigny in the distance at the end (behind the tree). To the right is the eastern side of the Bernese Oberland mountains. Another day trip from here was to drive to the valley up to the right about an hour, then take a train ride up to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn. Another day trip we drove to Brig and caught the train over to the Swiss/Italian lakes (Locarno).

The Switzerland Tourism website is a good starting point for planning a trip and getting special offers and packages: https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-gb/home.html - See also suggested driving itineraries at http://grandtour.myswitzerland.com/en/
Attached Images

Last edited by msej449; 07-30-2017 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
inTgr8r2421.50
Dackelone10511.00
      07-31-2017, 01:09 PM   #30
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
The Swiss are brutal with their speeding fines! AND... if they catch you driving more than +40 kph over a posted speed limit(back roads are only 80 kph! Not 100 kph like here in DE)... they can legally TAKE your car from you! As in forever! Just driving a few kph over a speed limit can cost you over 135 euros as well. Having an app(which is illegal, but worth the risk I think) is not a bad idea. I love the nature beauty in CH, but the speeding fines and normal prices for food and hotel rooms is just insane. 6 euros for a Coke or 45 euros for some Schnitzel or paying double for a hotel room(than in DE or Italy) That's why I always like cross the border and stay the night outside of Switzerland - when I can... IF I can!
^^^^ Dear welcome visitors you should really take the speed limits for serious over here!
They will send you also to prison if indicated, just as those UK guys.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...land-race.html

All of the nice alp drives are well know by the local police. The know exactly where people drive fast. You can bet, that they are somewhere waiting for speeders!
Be carful, they even camouflage the radar stations, so you can hardly see them. Oh, and if you see the light, you didn't win

Also be careful with those radar at traffic lights. Many of them also catch you for speeding, not only for red light passing. (in the City of Zurich, all of them in the meantime)
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      08-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #31
barzul
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 Black Saphire

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [10.00]
damn... i need to start saving more
      08-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #32
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
^^^^ Dear welcome visitors you should really take the speed limits for serious over here!
They will send you also to prison if indicated, just as those UK guys.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...land-race.html

All of the nice alp drives are well know by the local police. The know exactly where people drive fast. You can bet, that they are somewhere waiting for speeders!
Be careful, they even camouflage the radar stations, so you can hardly see them. Oh, and if you see the light, you didn't win

Also be careful with those radar at traffic lights. Many of them also catch you for speeding, not only for red light passing. (in the City of Zurich, all of them in the meantime)

Very good advice!

After visiting this year's Geneva Motor Show... I promptly switch on my cruise control to the 120 kph speed limit(set to my GPS real speed!)... and I was Blitzed! I couldn't believe it. Right after that... I set my speed to 118 kph set via my GPS. I still haven't received the ticket... but I think the Swiss have one year to send it to cars with German plates. ?

Name:  Blitzer Schweiz autobahn blitzer 288598115--1-.JPG
Views: 852
Size:  42.6 KB

Also in and around the Geneva area... those Blitzers in the medium can be turned... so one time they can scan one side of the highway... and then they can "turn" the camera to "watch" the other side traffic. Very clever you Swiss guys!

Blitz'd @0:23 secs...

What I can't understand is WHY are the Swiss so crazy when it comes to speeders? Why?

In Germany it is so cheap IF you get caught speeding. Really the Germans only go "crazy" IF you are speeding inside city limits(only 50 kph limit or less) or in a construction area on the Autobahn.

Also.. Why are the Swiss so interested in high performance cars IF they are so anti-car and anti-speeding in their "laws". I see a ton or Audi RS7s and M3's when I travel to CH. And I also see a lot of old classic American cars with big V8's.

I remember driving around the Bodensee(Lake Constance) on the Swiss side... and driving past a "Sound Blitzer"... it was measuring the loudness of your exhaust! It had green/yellow/red LEDs on a strip/sign and a camera. WTF!! I remember when Porsche raced in Montecarlo... and how they would have to drive some secret way into France from Stuttgart to avoid the Swiss Police bc their race cars had straight pipes on them! I wonder which pass they used?

And lastly... WHY is everything so expensive in Switzerland? Does every job pay three or four times more there? An 0.5liter bottle of Coke is 5 CHF(in German it costs 1.60 euros) and a cheap hotel room is 130 CHF(in German it would be 65 euros). I remember in Geneva a doner kebab sandwich was 21 CHF. I love your country but the prices really put me off.

I just came back from Switzerland this week... I wanted to stop for lunch... went into some small village in the mountains... and their lunch special was 38 CHF! For lunch! I was like Nope... I'm gonna drive into Italy... bit first I will by me some cheap Swiss fuel(compared to Italy's 2 euro a liter prices!!) and a snack at the gas station.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 03:25 AM   #33
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Garage List
Did this last year with a couple of mates in an M3, honestly one of the best experiences I've had and well recommended. We had great weather in late September and the roads weren't too busy. If you're thinking about doing it just bite the bullet and get it booked!

Some photo's from our trip in this thread:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1313343
Appreciate 2
inTgr8r2421.50
Dackelone10511.00
      07-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #34
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Joe has published a few new cool Alps videos...

I am so jealous of this epic drive up Mont Ventoux Dawn Raid. It looks like it was the highlight of their Pyrenees tour in Spain. I personally think this video is one of Joe's best!!

Appreciate 1
      07-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #35
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

I must drive the alps, wife wants to go to Paris this year, are the swiss alps driveable from Paris?
      07-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #36
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
I must drive the alps, wife wants to go to Paris this year, are the swiss alps driveable from Paris?
Yes, it's doable. To drive from Paris to say Furka Pass its about an eight hour drive. I would plan out a few days driving around Switzerland. Maybe work your way over to Lake Como/Northern Italy... that is a very area place to visit.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #37
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Yes, it's doable. To drive from Paris to say Furka Pass its about an eight hour drive. I would plan out a few days driving around Switzerland. Maybe work your way over to Lake Como/Northern Italy... that is a very area place to visit.

Dackel
8hr is pretty long, but yes its doable. i would like to hit the autobahn and Nurburgring TOURISTENFAHRTEN as well. thinking 2-3 days Paris, 1 nite Switzerland, 2-3 nites Germany would be a nice trip. Hows the weather early October?
      07-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #38
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

I live in Italy and I refuse to go to Switzerland because of the high prices and likelihood of getting a ticket. So far I’ve been immune to speeding fines for 18 months of driving in Italy, Germany, France, and Spain, despite being popped by speed cameras in every one of those countries. Something tells me my luck would run out in Switzerland.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      07-17-2018, 05:16 AM   #39
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
8hr is pretty long, but yes its doable. i would like to hit the autobahn and Nurburgring TOURISTENFAHRTEN as well. thinking 2-3 days Paris, 1 nite Switzerland, 2-3 nites Germany would be a nice trip. Hows the weather early October?
It starts to get cold in October. Especially up in the Alps... you might encounter snow. Last year in September... I awoke to three inches of snow in Stelvio!! The snow was only up at the top of the mountain(+2.7K meters)

Yeah, I would say don't drive more than three or four hours per day. Otherwise you will be exhausted. Try to shoot for 300 kms per day. That sounds like not a lot... but believe me you will be drained at the end of 300 kms on the Autobahn,

The Nurburgring is close-r to Paris. I would go there first... then maybe drive thru Southern Germany on your way to Swiss Alps. For me the area bellow Munich to Kufstein(A) is the best! And then drive further South into Tirol and Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
I live in Italy and I refuse to go to Switzerland because of the high prices and likelihood of getting a ticket. So far I’ve been immune to speeding fines for 18 months of driving in Italy, Germany, France, and Spain, despite being popped by speed cameras in every one of those countries. Something tells me my luck would run out in Switzerland.
When you are in the EU... and you get flashed(Blitzed)... they have up to one year to send you the ticket. Sometimes you even get the ticket over a year later.

By far Germany is the cheapest place to speed. But really there is no need... bc we have some many unrestricted Autobahns. Just chill while driving in the cities and country roads. Normally if you only go less than +19 kph over the limit... IF you get flashed its not a big fine(20ish euros). Where it does get expensive is when you speed INSIDE a city limit... or on the Autobahn is a construction area. Those are No, NOs. Germany is a country of orderly ppl.

I hear you about Switzerland... the whole country is $$$. Six euros for a 1.6 euro coke is ridiculous. Meals are three times the prices in Germany. Only the hotels and fuel prices seem fair. But I understand why you avoid CH.

Personally I feel that the Italian parts of Switzerland is the one to visit. The French parts seem crazy with speed cameras.

What I fnd crazy about Italy are their fuel prices in the summer time. Often on the Autostrada fuel is right above two euros per liter!! In Germany its around 1.50
And its very hard to find SuperPlus 98 octane(Premium) fuel in Italy. You only find 95 octane Super fuel.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #40
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
E90P group vacation? Looks like Miata would work best for that trek, but I'd enjoy it more overall in Hellcat.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      07-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #41
Xchange43
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 BMW M2 LCI

I remember back in 2003 to 2006 when i was living in Switzerland, me and a group of Opel Speedster/Lotus Elise fanatics (myspeedster.ch if any other member from there) were organizing meetup and drove in the alps and to all the best road in Switzerland/France/Italy/Germany and Austria.

We were crazy.. 15/20 per meet ups all Speedsters or Elises, the rides were memorable and we got a LOOOOT of luck with no accidents.

Now we all grown up and riding super comfy cars ... not sure how did that happen...but i m living in Canada and the road are the opposites that the one i used to drive.

Also, we all the speed cam as people mention, it end up very expensive to drive fast in my home country. At some point they put speedbumps in the hills roads such as St-Cergues, Col du Marchairuz, Col du Molendruz ect..
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
K9guy37.00
      07-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #42
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

My dream vacation is picking up a car in Germany (Porsche or BMW) and driving it on the Autobahn, Nurburgring, Swiss Alps, through the mountain passes of northern Italy, then making my way down to the Mediterranean.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
K9guy37.00
      08-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #43
K9guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F82

Amazing!!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      08-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #44
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I'm not really a fan of driving in France... but this makes me think twice... Mont Ventoux simply looks AMAZING at dawn!!

Appreciate 0