E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Sony Bravia

08-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Sony Bravia

Just picked up a new Sony Bravia X-Reality LED 42" to replace my Panasonic Plasma, which I'm giving to my daughter.

At least that was the plan until I got the thing home and tried to set it up. What a pile of sh-t. First I couldn't find the manual. There isn't one. Then I ended up checking my power socket and fuse with a multi-meter because I couldn't get it to power up. Took my wife to log on to the internet to find the bleeding power switch hidden away in a dark recess on the rear. Then I tried to start it up.....got to step 3 where it needed a pin number but the remote with the numbers wouldn't work. Took my wife another 10 minutes with the internet to find out how to switch on the virtual keyboard via the 2nd "1 touch" remote. Get that done and it asks if I want to set up wireless, to which I stupidly answer yes, only to be faced with half a dozen questions about my router's security configurations that I couldn't answer...actually couldn't understand. But once you're in set-up there's no way back...it just keeps asking questions.

By this time I'm really trying hard to restrain myself from flinging the remote right through the screen. Finally, by answering no to everything I get to the point I can actually see a picture. Athletics from Moscow. Now I'm left figuring out if I even like the picture. Sure its high res. sure the colours are bright but I'm really not sure I like this in-yer-face presentation. Movies no longer look like movies, they look like film sets with lots of people wearing make-up. I'll see how it goes over the next few days but my first impression is that its crap and that I'll be keeping the old Plasma and giving away the Sony.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Just picked up a new Sony Bravia X-Reality LED 42" to replace my Panasonic Plasma, which I'm giving to my daughter.

At least that was the plan until I got the thing home and tried to set it up. What a pile of sh-t. First I couldn't find the manual. There isn't one. Then I ended up checking my power socket and fuse with a multi-meter because I couldn't get it to power up. Took my wife to log on to the internet to find the bleeding power switch hidden away in a dark recess on the rear. Then I tried to start it up.....got to step 3 where it needed a pin number but the remote with the numbers wouldn't work. Took my wife another 10 minutes with the internet to find out how to switch on the virtual keyboard via the 2nd "1 touch" remote. Get that done and it asks if I want to set up wireless, to which I stupidly answer yes, only to be faced with half a dozen questions about my router's security configurations that I couldn't answer...actually couldn't understand. But once you're in set-up there's no way back...it just keeps asking questions.

By this time I'm really trying hard to restrain myself from flinging the remote right through the screen. Finally, by answering no to everything I get to the point I can actually see a picture. Athletics from Moscow. Now I'm left figuring out if I even like the picture. Sure its high res. sure the colours are bright but I'm really not sure I like this in-yer-face presentation. Movies no longer look like movies, they look like film sets with lots of people wearing make-up. I'll see how it goes over the next few days but my first impression is that its crap and that I'll be keeping the old Plasma and giving away the Sony.
surely you can get it returned??!!

Coming from Plasma to LED , you will have a bad time. I've find plasma is more soft to the eye whereas LED are just too bright and it hurts my eyes...

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Hi Steve,

I replaced our Panasonic Plasma 6 months ago with one of the fancy LED Panasonic ,I went from 42" to 47" it was the same physical size but thinner think its a TXL47-WT50 it had loads of great reviews on various sites so just bought it £1399 with free 6 yr guarantee,

This week my youngest wanted a new Set so to save all the review reading and trying to decide what to buy ,I had a search and found some new ones on ebay as these are now last years model at £799 these are brand new unopened not graded or anything so I bought another .This set is a TXL42-WT50 slightly smaller than the first set but as big as his 37" it replaces size wise but 5" more screen

The good this they are around 78w LED instead of 285w off Plasma.

IMHO if you send it back this is worth considering
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

Steve google up soap opera effect

http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-57...rter-than-you/

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...-opera-effect/
      08-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
SF123D
Rep
Drives:

I went from a 50" panasonic GT30 plasma to a 55" panasonic DT65 LED.

Initial impressions are positive; good motion handling, decent blacks, even back lighting.

Main reasons why I decided to upgrade were due to constant image retention on the plasma plus I wanted a new telly
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I'll have it mate if your giving it away?!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

If I was rich enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I'll have it mate if your giving it away?!
If I was rich enough I'd give it to you....but I think you'd end up agreeing with me that its tosh

In the event I'll give it to my daughter....it will be a major upgrade from the 28" she currently has......although she never actually watches TV (doesn't even have an aerial)....just the occasional DVD and i-Player
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Have you tried adjusting the image settings?!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

So you bought a TV without checking reviews first, couldn't understand the big diagrams that shows you where the buttons are, don't know how to manage your own internet settings and didn't bother trying to change picture settings - and it's the TVs fault?

08-19-2013, 03:54 AM   #10
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I'm waiting for these things to come down in price/actually become available to buy....

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-55EM970V-oled-tv
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

^ Beautiful TVs.

But as it's a smart TV SteveC wouldn't like it

I have an 2010 LG and 2012 Bravia at home, would buy both again. No reason to pay the extra for one of the Samsung sets over an LG at the moment in my (moderately informed only) opinion. Depends what you want I suppose. The Bravia I bought due to super fast refresh rate for gaming. The LG is the main TV for films etc.
      08-19-2013, 04:37 AM   #12
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Unfortunately modern "smart" TV's come with so many settings now that it's almost impossible for the average Joe to configure one properly, especially when the default, out of the box configuration is so crap. So we've ended up with a situation where you have all these options and on a £1000+ telly and it looks worse than a CRT from 15 years ago.

It's got to a point where some people actually pay someone to come in and set up the TV for them. A TV tuning professional who will adjust all the colour levels and settings to get the TV to display a picture correctly. What was wrong with the good old contrast, brightness and colour settings? Sometimes less is more I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #13
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

I found on my Sony LCD it was teh vivid setting that generated the SOE effect. IMO i like it but each to their own
      08-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
So you bought a TV without checking reviews first, couldn't understand the big diagrams that shows you where the buttons are, don't know how to manage your own internet settings and didn't bother trying to change picture settings - and it's the TVs fault?

1. The reviews rate the TV as exceptional. They're written by technology soaked journalists who've grown up with smart phones and tablets, play video games and are familiar with Android and at least 2 other Mobile operating systems. I use a Blackberry, have nothing made by Apple and don't play computer games (because I hate them). My hi-fi, including my CD player is all vacuum tube with triode outputs, I prefer analog to digital, my binoculars are made by Leica because they give the most natural colour rendition. I don't like overhyped anything

2. Actually....the big diagram tells you to plug it into the outlet, then use the remote...it doesn't mention a power switch at all because you're supposed to switch it on and off via the remote, neither of which worked. But you'd only find out the remotes aren't working once the TV is switched on and the remote does nothing

The power button is hidden on the lhs of a recess that you can't see from the front, back or RHS. If the LHS is close to the wall, which mine is then you won't see it at all. Its neither labelled nor illuminated, so the only way you'll find it is by sense of touch

3. I set up my internet 2 years ago, so no I don't remember what security settings I used. I'd have to go through the set-up dialog again to know that.

4. How would I know how to change the picture settings when I can't because their isn't one? Also, what do you set it up for? Film, live broadcast, studio broadcast....because they all look different. Studio looks great, live is a bit iffy and film sucks.

Bottom line....reviewers love it. I don't They also like a lot of hi-res digital hi-fi that makes my ears bleed it sounds so artificial, so hey-ho...don't trust reviews.

Soap Opera Effect resonates. I don't watch any soaps but I would describe the picture as unnatural for a reason I'm damned if I can put my finger on. Like there's too much of everything

Last edited by SteveC; 08-19-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
You will need to adjust the settings, what is the exact model number?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
Leonard123
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

'Vivid' picture set is very colourful!

Probably just needs toning down a little
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #17
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Go to AV Forums, there will be (I'm sure) an owners thread on your EXACT model number. In that thread there will be users that have tried 100's of settings to narrow down the best ones ie the work has probably been done for you.

Failing that you can pay for a professional calibration which will setup your TV based on viewing distance, typical channels watched, sources most watched (Bluray, Xbox etc) and ambient lighting in your room.

Also plasma (in my view) gives a much better (real) picture as the blacks ARE black and backlighting which is the curse of LED / LCD's is much more softer.

I have a plasma Samsung ps59d6900 a great tv (bit noisy) which took me weeks of adjustment to get right but now it's a fantastic picture.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
Go to AV Forums, there will be (I'm sure) an owners thread on your EXACT model number. In that thread there will be users that have tried 100's of settings to narrow down the best ones ie the work has probably been done for you.

Failing that you can pay for a professional calibration which will setup your TV based on viewing distance, typical channels watched, sources most watched (Bluray, Xbox etc) and ambient lighting in your room.

Also plasma (in my view) gives a much better (real) picture as the blacks ARE black and backlighting which is the curse of LED / LCD's is much more softer.

I have a plasma Samsung ps59d6900 a great tv (bit noisy) which took me weeks of adjustment to get right but now it's a fantastic picture.

Good luck
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I have a LerGuh tv, new 3 years ago. Will that need any adjustment ? I just plugged in and viewed.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #20
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Depends how much of a picturefile you are. ALL TV's will need some sort of adjustment as the settings out of the box are usually very poor and won't be right for your tastes, ambient light and room viewing conditions etc, however how an*l you decide to get with it is up to you.

Personally I think paying someone to microscopically tune your "grey scales" to get flesh tones 100% accurate is going a bit too far but doing a quick search on somewhere like AV forums for your model of TV to look up recommended settings will take 10 minutes and achieve a decent improvement.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #21
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Funny I swapped my Sony LCD for a Samsung LED and it blew me away how good the picture is.I did research it to death though. Much to the Missus's despair.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #22
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Hmmmmm

Tried adjusting the picture and I can get less vivid, less contrasty etc....but I can't get more natural. The picture certainly has more resolution but somehow that's like holding a magnifying glass over everything to make it more detailed but less 'believable'. It constantly reminds you that you're watching TV, albeit good TV. No doubt I'll get used to it, but its nowhere near as good as the Panasonic Plasma at producing 'believable' pictures.

Thanks everyone for the inputs.....I'm still going to play around with some of the other 'settings' to see if its simply 'trying too hard' to look good, like the 'Rock' setting on Personal Audio Players.

Last edited by SteveC; 08-21-2013 at 02:29 AM..
Appreciate 0